18 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

It's our fourth date and the first time I'm cooking for him. He has eaten gluten-free everytime we go out to make it easier for me. He isn't really picky, just no tomatos or mushrooms. I was going to roast a chicken with lemon and basil, some fancy potatos and a veggie??? I''d like it to be easy, but good! I'm only going to have two hours or so to cook. He loves pasta. Anyone got a different side salad idea? Thanks everyone!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

You could do a cold pasta primavera with rice noodles (make today)
http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

Bean salad (make today)
http://allrecipes.co...lad/detail.aspx

standard tossed salad

what's for dessert?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Fresh strawberry cobbler if I have time : )
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Gluten free 5/10

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

Fresh strawberry cobbler if I have time : )

Yummy!

And you have the bonus of just having strawberries and ice cream if you don't have the time.

Other salads (make today - I'm all about minimizing 'day of' stuff)
cole slaw
pea salad (basically peas and mayonnaise and onions)
carrot salad

pretty much any veggie mixed with mayo or ranch classifies as salad. :P
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

You may already do this but if you rub butter/herbs under the chicken skin prior to roasting it flavours the meat nicely! Can I also suggest cutting a lemon or two and roasting cut side down when you roast the chicken? You can then squeeze roasted lemon juice over the meat which makes it flavourful and succulent.

Perhaps glazed baby carrots with fresh thyme for a side? A bit of lavender on roasted carrots is nice, too. Or how about a Japanese cucumer salad (easy to make a bit in advance)? Google Jamie Oliver's recipe under the same name. Very good. If you like asparagus try roasting it and drizzling with a lemon mustard shallot sauce or your favourite light vinaigrette. Or how about shaving raw asparagus with a few paear/peach/nectarine slivers, mix with greens, toast up some pecans/walnuts, add some shards of Parmesan and drizzle with lemon vinaigrette? Leeks gratin with bacon is awesome. Minted peas are colourful and tasty. If you already have fresh corn you could make creamed corn and maybe add in some roasted red pepper or sundried tomato for colour. I often marinate cheese such as feta with olive oil, fresh herbs, lemon zest, toasted coriander seed and sundried tomatoes. Simple steamed fresh green beans with lemons and pistachios are nice. An authentic Greek salad would be a nice contrast with the other hot dishes. You could stuff endive with creamy fillings such as whipped cream cheese and herbs or a mousse. You can also stuff cocktail tomatoes with all sorts of fillings. Believe it or not, roasted or braised radishes are killer. How about a puree such as gingered roasted carrot or fava bean or pea or roasted butternut squash? If he/you like cheese you can direct grill Halloumi or Provolone, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh herbs. How about roasted, stuffed or marinated mushrooms? Do you like creamed spinach with pancetta?
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

Just make sure you're ok eating chicken off the bone in front of the other person :)

#7 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

I plan to bake it all under the skin with butter under there too. I'll probably slice the chicken and use knive and fork.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Gluten free 5/10

#8 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

I think eating chicken wings and drumsticks is an awesome way to see what your date is made of! Should be good for a nice laugh.

#9 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

Chicken is OK, but feeding a man for the first time I would go with beef or pork. A small pork tenderloin rubbed with herbs or seasoning blend will cook up fast and is good at room temperature. A pot roast (do the day before and reheat) is another man pleaser. Beware of "fancy" salads of side dishes. Many men are funny about frou-frou food. Good luck.

#10 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

I'm guessing he's maybe Italian since you said he likes pasta. (Sorry a lot if I'm stereotyping.)

Easy salad: Chopped, washed,dried romaine lettuce hearts with chopped salad cut hearts of palm (buy the can and stick it in the refrigerator the night before, rinse them and use about 1/4 of the can in your salad), chopped black olives, a tsp. of capers if you have them, no big deal if you don't.

I'd suggest a simple dressing. You can squirt a lime (or lemon, but watch out for the seeds!) on this, then drizzle olive oil on it, toss it and serve. You can add sliced fruit if you like, or nuts of your choice, but for a side salad I probably wouldn't do that.

I think your menu sounds perfect and hope you have a lovely evening.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#11 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Thanks everyone, it was an amazing night! I had roasted whole chicken with herbs, lemons, limes with butter and olive oil rubbed. I also had multi colored potatos and fresh green beans! He doesn't get home cooking much and he loved it. I had a great time. I'm so happy to have someone that cares enough to be gluten-free with me at my home and resturants.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Gluten free 5/10

#12 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

Thanks everyone, it was an amazing night!

:) :) :)
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#14 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone, it was an amazing night! I had roasted whole chicken with herbs, lemons, limes with butter and olive oil rubbed. I also had multi colored potatos and fresh green beans! He doesn't get home cooking much and he loved it. I had a great time. I'm so happy to have someone that cares enough to be gluten-free with me at my home and resturants.

Great news! So it sounds as though there will be a fifth date! :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#15 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like you may have found a keeper. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: