9 replies to this topic

#1 mamabear272

mamabear272

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

I've been feeling great other than the glutening I got while out of town a few weeks ago. My mom had us over for spaghetti last Friday. I took my own spaghetti noodles and cooked them. Mom says "you can drain them in this." Strainer is in the sink and I thought for a fleeting second that she drained the other noodles in it. I let it go though cause she never uses that one and I just thought she had that out special for me.

Saturday I start not feeling well. I'm thinking it's the diverticulosis acting up. I called GI doc and made an appt for today and ended up in the ER yesterday. Today I had to take my mom shopping and she asked if I got something with gluten. I said "not that I can think of. Did you rinse anything in the strainer before I put my noodles in it?" "No it was clea...oh yeah I drained the regular noodles in it." "Uhm yeah that will do it." "oh really! I had no idea it was that bad."

Grrrr! I know she doesn't suffer from it and I'm newly diagnosed so it's not like she's been dealing with it my whole life but I've explained how easily I can get sick. I just hope now she realizes how easy it is to cc. Maybe she'll be more careful! Maybe?
Molly
dx: celiac sprue 6/7/2011 via blood test and biopsy
gluten-free: 6/7/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Oh man, that's rough :( hopefully it's a learning experience for her, but sad it was at your expense. I hope you feel better soon.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

Oh, you poor thing! Sometimes people sort of get it but truly do not fully grasp all the implications. It seems they think of the food itself more than cross contamination at times.

Hopefully this glutening blows over very quickly.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

I've been feeling great other than the glutening I got while out of town a few weeks ago. My mom had us over for spaghetti last Friday. I took my own spaghetti noodles and cooked them. Mom says "you can drain them in this." Strainer is in the sink and I thought for a fleeting second that she drained the other noodles in it. I let it go though cause she never uses that one and I just thought she had that out special for me.

Saturday I start not feeling well. I'm thinking it's the diverticulosis acting up. I called GI doc and made an appt for today and ended up in the ER yesterday. Today I had to take my mom shopping and she asked if I got something with gluten. I said "not that I can think of. Did you rinse anything in the strainer before I put my noodles in it?" "No it was clea...oh yeah I drained the regular noodles in it." "Uhm yeah that will do it." "oh really! I had no idea it was that bad."

Grrrr! I know she doesn't suffer from it and I'm newly diagnosed so it's not like she's been dealing with it my whole life but I've explained how easily I can get sick. I just hope now she realizes how easy it is to cc. Maybe she'll be more careful! Maybe?

I learned this lesson the hard way too. ALWAYS ask. Do not assume. I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I hope it clears up for you ASAP.

#5 Caremate

Caremate

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

I live with my fiances family and they're not fully understanding how series it is. I've resolved to buying my own pots and pans, cutting board, utensils, etc. I even clean like crazy before I even cook. I've become a little paranoid in the kitchen now lol I can't help it though his brother leaves crumbs all over the counters, nasty dishes in the sink. Idk what else to do so I get a little OCD just to be safe. I am newly diagnosed as well and still waiting to feel a difference. Best of luck to you! Hope you feel better!

#6 mamabear272

mamabear272

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

I was really sick last night. I called my GI and she said go to ER. I was vomiting and had terrible stomach cramps. The gave me fluids and meds for the pain. I'm just hanging on the couch today on the BRATT diet. It's really frustrating me cause I was feeling so good!
Molly

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm sure your Mom must be feeling terrible about it, especially seeing you had to go to the ER. I hope you're feeling a lot better really soon.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:46 AM

Oh man, that sounds bad :( So sorry you got hit badly, hopefully now she realizes how sensitive you are and looks out for you better? Hope you feel better soon...
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#9 mamabear272

mamabear272

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

Thanks. I'm trying not to make her feel bad.
Molly

#10 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Actually, I think the bright spot in all this is that she was curious and talking to you about it the next day and that she admitted it without any excuse or cover up. She will learn. It's those in denial and who deflect the blame or pretend it didn't happen that you have to avoid at all costs. I am sure your mom does feel bad but, even in your present pain and discomfort, joy in the fact that at some level she might be starting to get it. No one will ever see it completely as through our eyes but there are many friends who will understand more than others. If one of those friends is your mom you are lucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: