This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Mom Glutened Me :(

mamabear272

mamabear272 Explorer

I've been feeling great other than the glutening I got while out of town a few weeks ago. My mom had us over for spaghetti last Friday. I took my own spaghetti noodles and cooked them. Mom says "you can drain them in this." Strainer is in the sink and I thought for a fleeting second that she drained the other noodles in it. I let it go though cause she never uses that one and I just thought she had that out special for me.

Saturday I start not feeling well. I'm thinking it's the diverticulosis acting up. I called GI doc and made an appt for today and ended up in the ER yesterday. Today I had to take my mom shopping and she asked if I got something with gluten. I said "not that I can think of. Did you rinse anything in the strainer before I put my noodles in it?" "No it was clea...oh yeah I drained the regular noodles in it." "Uhm yeah that will do it." "oh really! I had no idea it was that bad."

Grrrr! I know she doesn't suffer from it and I'm newly diagnosed so it's not like she's been dealing with it my whole life but I've explained how easily I can get sick. I just hope now she realizes how easy it is to cc. Maybe she'll be more careful! Maybe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Oh man, that's rough :( hopefully it's a learning experience for her, but sad it was at your expense. I hope you feel better soon.

love2travel Mentor

Oh, you poor thing! Sometimes people sort of get it but truly do not fully grasp all the implications. It seems they think of the food itself more than cross contamination at times.

Hopefully this glutening blows over very quickly.

melikamaui Explorer

I've been feeling great other than the glutening I got while out of town a few weeks ago. My mom had us over for spaghetti last Friday. I took my own spaghetti noodles and cooked them. Mom says "you can drain them in this." Strainer is in the sink and I thought for a fleeting second that she drained the other noodles in it. I let it go though cause she never uses that one and I just thought she had that out special for me.

Saturday I start not feeling well. I'm thinking it's the diverticulosis acting up. I called GI doc and made an appt for today and ended up in the ER yesterday. Today I had to take my mom shopping and she asked if I got something with gluten. I said "not that I can think of. Did you rinse anything in the strainer before I put my noodles in it?" "No it was clea...oh yeah I drained the regular noodles in it." "Uhm yeah that will do it." "oh really! I had no idea it was that bad."

Grrrr! I know she doesn't suffer from it and I'm newly diagnosed so it's not like she's been dealing with it my whole life but I've explained how easily I can get sick. I just hope now she realizes how easy it is to cc. Maybe she'll be more careful! Maybe?

I learned this lesson the hard way too. ALWAYS ask. Do not assume. I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I hope it clears up for you ASAP.

Caremate Newbie

I live with my fiances family and they're not fully understanding how series it is. I've resolved to buying my own pots and pans, cutting board, utensils, etc. I even clean like crazy before I even cook. I've become a little paranoid in the kitchen now lol I can't help it though his brother leaves crumbs all over the counters, nasty dishes in the sink. Idk what else to do so I get a little OCD just to be safe. I am newly diagnosed as well and still waiting to feel a difference. Best of luck to you! Hope you feel better!

mamabear272 Explorer

I was really sick last night. I called my GI and she said go to ER. I was vomiting and had terrible stomach cramps. The gave me fluids and meds for the pain. I'm just hanging on the couch today on the BRATT diet. It's really frustrating me cause I was feeling so good!

bartfull Rising Star

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm sure your Mom must be feeling terrible about it, especially seeing you had to go to the ER. I hope you're feeling a lot better really soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marz Enthusiast

Oh man, that sounds bad :( So sorry you got hit badly, hopefully now she realizes how sensitive you are and looks out for you better? Hope you feel better soon...

mamabear272 Explorer

Thanks. I'm trying not to make her feel bad.

chasbari Apprentice

Actually, I think the bright spot in all this is that she was curious and talking to you about it the next day and that she admitted it without any excuse or cover up. She will learn. It's those in denial and who deflect the blame or pretend it didn't happen that you have to avoid at all costs. I am sure your mom does feel bad but, even in your present pain and discomfort, joy in the fact that at some level she might be starting to get it. No one will ever see it completely as through our eyes but there are many friends who will understand more than others. If one of those friends is your mom you are lucky.

Archived