11 replies to this topic

#1 daisymae106

daisymae106

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

Hello! 2 weeks ago today I found out I have celiac disease. I am gluten free (to the best of my knowledge) since then! :) I have noticed a big difference in that I have no more bloating, gas and much less heart burn/stomach pain (it is still there but less than before). I am thrilled to be on this new journey to feeling better! I have been very discouraged to hear about gluten being found in cosmetics, lotions, and shampoos! I am trying to figure out what cosmetics I am using contain gluten and starting the switch to gluten free. My question has to do with hair color (yes I am only as blonde as I pay to be haha) and acrylic nail tips (pink and white, solar, etc). As a stay home mom, I don't do much for myself, but do allow that when I can and would hate to give them up! My question is really this... is there any proof that glutened hair color or getting your nails done will actually harm your intestines? If there is only trace amounts of gluten in these types of products that can actually be ingested into your system, I would like to continue with it (unless of course I got really sick). Does anyone out there have input? I so appreciate it. This gluten free life is very overwhelming. It's EVERYWHERE and it's hard to know how to function normally and be safe. Thanks for any input!

diagnosed with celiac disease in 2011 after positive blood test and endoscopy

diagnosed with thyroid nodules and low thyroid in 2013

diagnosed with low iron, vitamin D deficiency, iodine deficiency, magnesium deficiency, COQ10 deficiency in 2013

diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR C677T/A1298C gene mutation in 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

Hello! 2 weeks ago today I found out I have celiac disease. I am gluten free (to the best of my knowledge) since then! :) I have noticed a big difference in that I have no more bloating, gas and much less heart burn/stomach pain (it is still there but less than before). I am thrilled to be on this new journey to feeling better! I have been very discouraged to hear about gluten being found in cosmetics, lotions, and shampoos! I am trying to figure out what cosmetics I am using contain gluten and starting the switch to gluten free. My question has to do with hair color (yes I am only as blonde as I pay to be haha) and acrylic nail tips (pink and white, solar, etc). As a stay home mom, I don't do much for myself, but do allow that when I can and would hate to give them up! My question is really this... is there any proof that glutened hair color or getting your nails done will actually harm your intestines? If there is only trace amounts of gluten in these types of products that can actually be ingested into your system, I would like to continue with it (unless of course I got really sick). Does anyone out there have input? I so appreciate it. This gluten free life is very overwhelming. It's EVERYWHERE and it's hard to know how to function normally and be safe. Thanks for any input!

I have had my hair colored for over 20 years using good quality salon color and have never had any kind of an issue with it and I am an extremely sensitive Celiac. Let's face it....hair color is not something you want to be ingesting on any level and if you did, I am sure you would know it. It would be a problem if you have any topical allergies at all, which might produce a rash or other skin irritation but that is not the same as a Celiac reaction. Remember, you have to ingest the product for it to cause a problem. If you have been coloring your hair all along without a problem, then it shouldn't be an issue now. Hair color does not absorb through the skin...it's mixed with peroxide and burns off once exposed to air.

The nail thing I can't help you with other than to say I get a manicure now and again but have my own nails and don't use acrylics. I don't check for the status of nail polish because I don't eat it or make a habit of putting my fingers in my mouth. Besides, it hardens which would make ingestion difficult, unless you chew it off. I have never been sickened or anything else by nail polish. The proof for me is that my recovery was nothing short of amazing and my repeat blood work shows I am not ingesting gluten. In other words, I get my hair done and nails done occasionally and my intestines were not harmed and life is good! :D I am not trying to minimize the need for vigilance with the gluten-free diet but there is also no need to worry about things that don't require scrutiny. Lip stick, hand lotion...these require gluten-free status for obvious reasons but I don't screen make-up and have never had a problem.

#3 daisymae106

daisymae106

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

I have had my hair colored for over 20 years using good quality salon color and have never had any kind of an issue with it and I am an extremely sensitive Celiac. Let's face it....hair color is not something you want to be ingesting on any level and if you did, I am sure you would know it. It would be a problem if you have any topical allergies at all, which might produce a rash or other skin irritation but that is not the same as a Celiac reaction. Remember, you have to ingest the product for it to cause a problem. If you have been coloring your hair all along without a problem, then it shouldn't be an issue now. Hair color does not absorb through the skin...it's mixed with peroxide and burns off once exposed to air.

The nail thing I can't help you with other than to say I get a manicure now and again but have my own nails and don't use acrylics. I don't check for the status of nail polish because I don't eat it or make a habit of putting my fingers in my mouth. Besides, it hardens which would make ingestion difficult, unless you chew it off. I have never been sickened or anything else by nail polish. The proof for me is that my recovery was nothing short of amazing and my repeat blood work shows I am not ingesting gluten. In other words, I get my hair done and nails done occasionally and my intestines were not harmed and life is good! :D I am not trying to minimize the need for vigilance with the gluten-free diet but there is also no need to worry about things that don't require scrutiny. Lip stick, hand lotion...these require gluten-free status for obvious reasons but I don't screen make-up and have never had a problem.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response!!! I know you are not trying to minimize the need to be careful, so no worries. I am already thinking about the expense it will be to replace makeup, shampoos, etc. Thanks for your encouragement!! :) I can't wait to get my nails done again.. haha!! Celiacs need to have some fun in life, right? !! LOL Thanks and God bless!!

diagnosed with low iron, vitamin D deficiency, iodine deficiency, magnesium deficiency, COQ10 deficiency in 2013

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response!!! I know you are not trying to minimize the need to be careful, so no worries. I am already thinking about the expense it will be to replace makeup, shampoos, etc. Thanks for your encouragement!! :) I can't wait to get my nails done again.. haha!! Celiacs need to have some fun in life, right? !! LOL Thanks and God bless!!

Use your good common sense...that's all. If there is any way in your daily habits that you may end up ingesting shampoo or conditioner or any make-up that is suspect, then screen for gluten-free status. I just don't ingest it myself and am careful so it hasn't been a problem. My recovery has gone very well so it hasn't been an issue. Besides, I love my hair color and won't use anything else. I doubt it contains anything with gluten anyway...wheat is generally used as a cheap filler and this product isn't cheap! :P

#5 daisymae106

daisymae106

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

That's a great point!!! Thanks again so much. So, anything that can be ingested in your mouth (i.e. lotion on your hands could be if you eat something with your hands, or lipstick obviously) is the real danger? I think my foundation has gluten because it is Revlon. I just bought it for $13 ugh... and am wondering if I should replace it. I so appreciate you sharing your experience. I am sure there are others out there who are more sensitive to these types of things, but I don't think I am. I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to my foundation yet, but I will definitely check into my lip liner, lip gloss, etc. Thanks again!! Also, do you know anything about sunscreen? :)

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

That's a great point!!! Thanks again so much. So, anything that can be ingested in your mouth (i.e. lotion on your hands could be if you eat something with your hands, or lipstick obviously) is the real danger? I think my foundation has gluten because it is Revlon. I just bought it for $13 ugh... and am wondering if I should replace it. I so appreciate you sharing your experience. I am sure there are others out there who are more sensitive to these types of things, but I don't think I am. I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to my foundation yet, but I will definitely check into my lip liner, lip gloss, etc. Thanks again!! Also, do you know anything about sunscreen? :)

Yes, that's correct. You pretty much eat lipstick or anything else you put on your lips and the hand lotion should be gluten-free because you may eat a sandwich or inadvertently put your fingers or hands on your lips or in your mouth. Foundation is up to you but I would check ingredients lists for that if you want to be sure. I do not screen facial creams but when applying, am careful to keep it away from my mouth and nose. It really isn't hard to do. I doubt my make-up has any wheat in it because I use expensive stuff....it lasts much longer. I did go through some of the ingredients in the beginning and found nothing with wheat in it. Some make-up will use tocopherols which can be derived from wheat germ oil but not always....you have to check. MAC lipsticks are gluten-free..that's what I use.

Sensitivity has little to do with it. I am really sensitive to gluten and get really sick from crumbs. If someone has topical allergies then make-up could be a problem and reactions will occur but that's not caused from an internal, I-ate-gluten reaction. Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin as the molecule is too large. The other gotcha is eye drops or salve for the eyes. It connects to the back of the throat and can be a potential problem so I screen eye drops.

I use moisturizers with sunscreen added so don't know much about those, straight up. If you have doubts, call the manufacturer for gluten-free status. You may want that to be gluten-free as you slather it all over and that may cause issues if you are not careful. It also has to be re-applied often so being gluten-free might make things a lot easier for you.

Don't sweat this stuff....in a year it will be second nature! You really will grasp the whole gluten-free thing, given time.

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

I agree with Gemini. I have my hair highlighted at a salon (can't stand the blonde color it is naturally), get manicures and acrylic overlays on my nails and use Revlon foundation. If it's possible that anything would be susceptible to being put in your mouth (think hand cream and lipstick), then yes, it should be gluten-free.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 daisymae106

daisymae106

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Thank you Sylvia and Gemini!! :) I so appreciate all your input! It has really helped me today!!! :) Gemini, thank you for your clarification on how gluten is ingested. I am so thankful for this forum and all the people who are having to live the gluten free journey. It helps so much to have people to talk to who understand! Thanks again and I hope you both have a blessed weekend! :)

#9 cblackb1

cblackb1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

Thank you Sylvia and Gemini!! :) I so appreciate all your input! It has really helped me today!!! :) Gemini, thank you for your clarification on how gluten is ingested. I am so thankful for this forum and all the people who are having to live the gluten free journey. It helps so much to have people to talk to who understand! Thanks again and I hope you both have a blessed weekend! :)

I am a celiac and have been doctor diagnosed for the past 9 years. I can't use non-gluten free shampoo, hair color or foundation. I use all gluten free products. I have a problem even inhaling gluten in a bakery. You can absorb gluten through your skin and it can be a problem for many people. I would try things first before taking anyone else's word for what will not harm you. The symptoms of gluten damage can go undetected for years until they reach a certain level. After being diagnosed I continued using my regular shampoo and conditioner and had a terrible time with an itchy scalp. I tried different shampoos, stopped drying my hair with the blow dryer, etc and finally ran into another celiac in the health food store and she was asking about gluten free shampoo. I asked her about why she needed gluten free shampoo and she explained. I have used Gluten free everything every since then and have been much healthier and happier since. So you can try by trial and error, but listen to your own body with regard to what others tell you about products containing gluten. All my makeup is gluten free, my shampoo, toothpaste, food products, laundry detergent,etc. You can find some relatively affordable products that are gluten free if you look.

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

I am a celiac and have been doctor diagnosed for the past 9 years. I can't use non-gluten free shampoo, hair color or foundation. I use all gluten free products. I have a problem even inhaling gluten in a bakery. You can absorb gluten through your skin and it can be a problem for many people.

Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin. Many of us choose to not use gluten containing products that may get in out mouths. Some people may have an allergic reaction to products on thier skin separate from Celiac.

Here's just one reference, there are many other reliable ones:

"Gluten must be ingested to be cause for concern for someone with celiac disease.

We still recommend those with celiac disease avoid contact with gluten, especially with products that have the potential to be ingested. Small amounts of gluten can be found in many cosmetics, lotions and shampoos. Avoid product ingredients that literally say “wheat,” “rye,” “malt” or “barley.”"

http://www.curecelia...-gluten-in-them

and another:

"I have celiac disease. Do I need to be concerned about sunscreens, shampoos and cosmetics that contain gluten?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

No. Gluten-containing skin care products and cosmetics aren't a problem unless you accidentally swallow them. For this reason, avoid using such products on your lips or around your mouth. Also, avoid using gluten-containing dental products, such as certain mouthwashes and toothpastes. If you're uncertain about whether a product contains gluten, check the ingredient list on the product label or contact the manufacturer.

Some people develop a form of celiac disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), which causes an itchy, blistering rash. This skin disorder is also linked to gluten intolerance. But although it involves the skin, DH is caused by ingesting gluten, not by skin contact with gluten. So, eliminating gluten from your diet will help clear up DH as well.

If you use a cosmetic or skin care product that contains gluten and you develop a skin reaction, see your doctor or dermatologist to identify the cause. It is possible to have an allergy to wheat or another grain that could cause a skin reaction. "

http://www.mayoclini...disease/AN01623

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hi Daisymae! Welcome to the forum!! I also dye my hair and get my nails done regularly and I haven't had any issues. I use the UV gel when getting my nails done and I don't think there would be a huge difference between them and acrylics but I've done both with no problems - and my blood levels have come down dramatically since going gluten free, so its not preventing me from recovering.

As far as makeup is concerned, I did switch my makeup because I do tend to touch my face a lot during the day and have the bad habit of putting my hands near my mouth. I switched to Bare Essentials and their entire product line is gluten free (and fantastic makeup by the way!). It can be a bit pricey but it lasts a while, makes your face look great, and its reassuring that I'm not ingesting gluten. I even use their lip gloss which I love. You can find it pretty easily - they sell it at Sephora and even have their own stores in the mall now. Its definitely worth the investment.

I understand how overwhelming it is and we tend to become paranoid about everything once we are diagnosed, but I promise you will get the hang of it and it won't seem so daunting after a little while. Plus, you have this forum to vent and ask questions!! I can't tell you how helpful its been for me!! Best wishes to you!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#12 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

If you guys get makeup from Ulta, I know they'll take back returns (say you try it and don't like it). They also have cupons running all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: