This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Positive For Antinuclear Antibodies (Ana)

AJoy

AJoy Rookie

I just got a call from the dermatologist who did blood work because I keep breaking out in Petechiae. Apparently I am testing positive for antinuclear antibodies (ANA). Has anyone else gone through this? What can I expect to happen next???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Greenling Newbie

I've tested positive several times (more than five over the past few years) on ANA tests. My guess is that they may refer you to a rheumatologist.

Don't know if this will make you feel better.... I actually just had this test done again in May (with a positive result again) which is when I was finally diagnosed with Celiac. I'd only been Gluten-free for four weeks at that time. My GI and Rhematologist docs said it's quite possible that the ANA reading might be due to the Celiac and once I'm further along the healing process, the ANA may test normal. Or it could signify another auto-immune condition on the horizon. Obviously, I'm hoping for the first option. I have to repeat the test in a year. But if you've not been Gluten-free for very long, the positive ANA might resolve itself.

cassP Contributor

dont worry so much about it. it's my understanding that a positive ANA points to an autoimmune disease or more. i had positive ANA by age 14 (or earlier)... because i had a butterfly rash on my face- they sent me to a Rheumy to test for Lupus. because my ANA was speckled- she also tested me for Sjorgens. i was never diagnosed with either.. and just left as a mystery.. sure would have been nice if they would have tested for other AI antibodies- they could have saved me years of temporary and permanent systems. i dont know if it's buerococy (cant spell?) but our doctors dont seem very interested in solving our puzzles...

i may not have had celiac abs at that time- but i suspect i would have tested positive for Hashimoto's.

are you a Celiac?

and what was that skin thing u mentioned? i havent heard of it yet?

Roda Rising Star

are you a Celiac?

and what was that skin thing u mentioned? i havent heard of it yet?

Open Original Shared Link

jebby Enthusiast

A positive ANA is usually associated with an autoimmune disease (it can also be elevated in certain infections and it is not unusual for it be a false positive either). My ANA is always positive due to my celiac and Hashimoto's disease. It is a test doctors will run if there is a concern about some type of autoimmune disease, but by itself, it does not mean very much. If you have petechiae, they are probably looking to see if your platelet problem is related to autoimmunity.

Skylark Collaborator

Mom's is positive. It has made her very sun sensitive so that's something to watch for. She hasn't developed any other autoimmunity so you can have ANA and be OK.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I just got a call from the dermatologist who did blood work because I keep breaking out in Petechiae. Apparently I am testing positive for antinuclear antibodies (ANA). Has anyone else gone through this? What can I expect to happen next???

I came back with high ANA too. It's freaky when you get the results and research what that means. Be prepared for more weird blood tests if you experiment with alternative grains and you're sensitive.

So my advice is, relax, chill, keep with the diet. Easier said than done. I've actually learned to ask the doc to take the same blood test six weeks later before I get all worked up. (They've told me I could have mixed connective tissue disease and sarcidosis in the past year.) I have neither, it just turned out that I had a few more food bugs.

That said, that's my experience. Your experience could differ.

Good Luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AJoy Rookie

Thank you everyone who responded. It definitely helps a little to know that some of you got a positive test and it didn't mean anything. I go to the rheumatologist is two weeks. Not looking forward to all of the tests and dr appointments, I just went through the Celiac diagnosis last fall, so not even a year and it was a huge pain. Still wondering if the petechiae is related but the weirdest part is my platelet count came back just fine...? Anyway, thanks again and good luck to all of you!

Archived