This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Machine Question

Marc49

Marc49 Explorer

Sylvia,.......I have one more question for you! LOL

My mixer was on the porch when I pulled in a few minutes ago. Like anything big from Amazon, there is no receipt just like you said.

What did you print off to send in with the rebate form?

Did you print the e-mail order confirmation, or did you log into your account and print an invoice from there?

Figured I would do the same as you did, since yours went through.

Now to unpack this thing and make sure there is no damage from the UPS gorillas! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ginsou Explorer

I have not yet tried the hamburg roll recipe from the MaidinAlaska website yet. I have been using Mike Eberhart's Brown Honey Bread recipe from his book and website. He has 14 bread recipes....including multi-grain and pumpernickel. His recipes have many ingredients, are very precise, and this is the recipe I have been using over the past few years. Make the bread early in the day, because you will spend all afternoon eating it.

The website is: www.gluten-free-blog.blogspot.com.

I tried to insert the URL link, and it didn't work....need to practice...you will have to type it.

sa1937 Community Regular

Mine is the big Professional Series BUT if you just use it for ordinary things you do not need that much power. I use it a lot (great for bread dough). My recommendation would be to ensure that the motor, etc. is metal (some newer ones are plastic and can break). Same goes with the attachments (whip, etc). I have heard and read many, many reviews on how vastly superior the metal attachments are to plastic. I also have the pasta maker attachments that work SO WELL! It is such fun making pasta (it was more fun making gluten pasta admittedly). KA have the best reputation for being workhorses and their longevity. What do you see on cooking shows such as Iron Chef? KA mixers.

I just knew you had the super duper model. lol I have no idea what the motor is made of but my attachments are metal...not stainless steel but look sort of vinyl clad...sounds like I'm describing windows. :unsure: I bought mine in May a year ago and so far, so good. My daughter has a classic model, I think, that they got for a wedding gift 22 years ago but she's not hung up on bread like I am. She also lives in Denver where she can get Udi's fresh, not frozen. Can you imagine!!!

love2travel Mentor

I just knew you had the super duper model. lol I have no idea what the motor is made of but my attachments are metal...not stainless steel but look sort of vinyl clad...sounds like I'm describing windows. :unsure: I bought mine in May a year ago and so far, so good. My daughter has a classic model, I think, that they got for a wedding gift 22 years ago but she's not hung up on bread like I am. She also lives in Denver where she can get Udi's fresh, not frozen. Can you imagine!!!

Yes - I do have the super duper model. It is a bright cherry red (man, I cannot believe I forget the actual colour name because I deliberated it for ages!). It is the shiniest and cleanest thing in the kitchen. I lovingly wipe it down sort of like my husband shines his Porsche! I'm a little hung up on the darned thing. I'd take my KA over the Porsche any day! :lol:

Fresh Udi's? Wow. Have never seen such a thing. :D

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia,.......I have one more question for you! LOL

My mixer was on the porch when I pulled in a few minutes ago. Like anything big from Amazon, there is no receipt just like you said.

What did you print off to send in with the rebate form?

Did you print the e-mail order confirmation, or did you log into your account and print an invoice from there?

Figured I would do the same as you did, since yours went through.

Now to unpack this thing and make sure there is no damage from the UPS gorillas! :)

Fantastic! Time to bake this weekend!!! So did you go shopping last night? The mixers are packed very well so I'm sure you won't have a problem.

I logged into my account and printed the invoice from there. I actually emailed Amazon to inquire about an invoice since I get one with most any piddly item I buy. And you'll need the UPC code, I think, but I also saved the box...just in case. Now it's out of warranty though.

I have not yet tried the hamburg roll recipe from the MaidinAlaska website yet. I have been using Mike Eberhart's Brown Honey Bread recipe from his book and website. He has 14 bread recipes....including multi-grain and pumpernickel. His recipes have many ingredients, are very precise, and this is the recipe I have been using over the past few years. Make the bread early in the day, because you will spend all afternoon eating it.

The website is: www.gluten-free-blog.blogspot.com.

I tried to insert the URL link, and it didn't work....need to practice...you will have to type it.

Ginsou, would you believe I have those hamburger buns rising now. And rising they are. So dinner is definitely a burger. I followed the recipe exactly except I substituted cornstarch for arrowroot. I just don't want to buy yet another flour/starch. Since I'm a flour junkie, I had all of the rest of the ingredients.

Thanks for the link. I'll pull it up. I keep printing recipes. I do not need to eat bread all day!!! :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Yes - I do have the super duper model. It is a bright cherry red (man, I cannot believe I forget the actual colour name because I deliberated it for ages!). It is the shiniest and cleanest thing in the kitchen. I lovingly wipe it down sort of like my husband shines his Porsche! I'm a little hung up on the darned thing. I'd take my KA over the Porsche any day! :lol:

Fresh Udi's? Wow. Have never seen such a thing. :D

If I had a Porsche, I might polish it, too. :lol:

Yep, fresh. I bet it's a lot better than our frozen. And there are also a few Udi's restaurants or sandwich shops (not sure what they call them). Udi's also has a presence at the farm market. Their gluten-free bakery is located in Denver. Open Original Shared Link Colorado is a gluten-free haven...I live in a vacuum here.

Marc49 Explorer

Sylvia,......wrong on no problems! LOL

I unpacked it all and it looked OK minus some dents in the box. No 'physical' damage per se, but when I plugged it in and put it on 'stir' nothing happened.

I tapped the switch and it started. Thought something might have been in the contacts since I am a 'mechanical' type of guy.

It ran fine for awhile, but when I would throw the switch between speeds it would hesitate or 'stutter'.

I was trying to simply burn off any motor smell with nothing in the bowl.

Called KA, and after going through a few steps with a rep, she said they would be sending me a new one with a postage paid label to return this one.

She heard the hesitating noise and said to not take the chance it would clear up on it's own.

She said to use it if I wanted, but the time frame for a replacement is only 7 days,.....I decided to pack it back up immediately.

I WILL say that the rep I spoke to was wonderful, and this doesn't taint my opinion in the least. I will simply have to wait another week to make a brick I guess! LOL

Stuff happens,......I already know that. As long as they take care of the issue, I am fine with it! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia,......wrong on no problems! LOL

I unpacked it all and it looked OK minus some dents in the box. No 'physical' damage per se, but when I plugged it in and put it on 'stir' nothing happened.

I tapped the switch and it started. Thought something might have been in the contacts since I am a 'mechanical' type of guy.

It ran fine for awhile, but when I would throw the switch between speeds it would hesitate or 'stutter'.

I was trying to simply burn off any motor smell with nothing in the bowl.

Called KA, and after going through a few steps with a rep, she said they would be sending me a new one with a postage paid label to return this one.

She heard the hesitating noise and said to not take the chance it would clear up on it's own.

She said to use it if I wanted, but the time frame for a replacement is only 7 days,.....I decided to pack it back up immediately.

I WILL say that the rep I spoke to was wonderful, and this doesn't taint my opinion in the least. I will simply have to wait another week to make a brick I guess! LOL

Stuff happens,......I already know that. As long as they take care of the issue, I am fine with it! :)

Well, rats!!! No baking adventure right now then. It's good that you got on the phone and that they are replacing it. It's a wise decision to send it back and not take a chance.

Simona19 Collaborator

If I had a Porsche, I might polish it, too. :lol:

Yep, fresh. I bet it's a lot better than our frozen. And there are also a few Udi's restaurants or sandwich shops (not sure what they call them). Udi's also has a presence at the farm market. Their gluten-free bakery is located in Denver. Open Original Shared Link Colorado is a gluten-free haven...I live in a vacuum here.

Hi! I just want to tell you that I have been eating Udi's bread fresh for 1 year now. At first I was buying it in Whole food for 5.99, but now I get it in Trade Joe's for 4.99. I just had hamburger with their bagel. I didn't like their whole grain hamburger buns. I like their cinnamon bagels, or bread. I can buy them fresh. OMG!!! Bread!!

It's still expensive, but much better like in your area. I live in New Jersey, close to New York.

I would like to make one day the BREAD, the real, normal bread. In my free time I'm looking for recipes and making changes and trying to bake something good, different. Maybe one day I will bake a miracle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Hi! I just want to tell you that I have been eating Udi's bread fresh for 1 year now. At first I was buying it in Whole food for 5.99, but now I get it in Trade Joe's for 4.99. I just had hamburger with their bagel. I didn't like their whole grain hamburger buns. I like their cinnamon bagels, or bread. I can buy them fresh. OMG!!! Bread!!

It's still expensive, but much better like in your area. I live in New Jersey, close to New York.

I would like to make one day the BREAD, the real, normal bread. In my free time I'm looking for recipes and making changes and trying to bake something good, different. Maybe one day I will bake a miracle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Udi's bread here is $7.49. Ick. I still prefer scratch gluten-free bread but do use Udi's the odd time. We have no gluten-free restaurants, bakeries or anything around here but thankfully I am able to purchase gluten-free products in the city three hours away. Not fresh, though - I live on the Canadian prairies! :D

sa1937 Community Regular

I'd love to taste Udi's fresh bread. Can't even begin to imagine it...but then if I did, I probably wouldn't be doing all the experimenting I'm doing. At least I rarely, if ever, bake bricks any more. No Whole Foods or Trader Joe's around here (no Wegman's either).

The hamburger buns I baked aren't bad. I think I could have pushed the rise a bit more as they are a bit dense. Definitely have potential. And I need to make them a bit smaller for me, probably could get a doz. out of that recipe.

I hear you! I'm waiting for that miracle, too! :lol: I suspect we are not alone!

Marc49 Explorer

I'm totally satisfied with customer service's response.

At first I was afraid they were going to tell me to take it to an authorized service center, or that I would have to pay return shipping.

The rep was very nice and insisted that I get a new one to be safe.

I think some flakes of styrofoam got into the switch mechanism myself.

Still safer to send it back,......with my luck it would work fine until day 366! LOL

Ginsou Explorer

Udi's gluten containing bread is sold fresh....their gluten free bread is sold frozen because it only has a shelf life of 3 days. Where does she purchase her bread? I've been in the Denver area for over 2 months, and have never seen gluten free Udi's sold fresh, unless they sell it right in downtown Denver at their bakery, if that is where the bakery is located. Their product has gone downhill in the past year....crust is very, very hard. Local stores do not sell their hamburger rolls, either, even tho they are advertised.

Ginsou Explorer

Gosh, Marc, was waiting with baited breath to see how your cooking experimentation turned out! Sounds like KitchenAid is a good company that stands behind their product.

I have the Cuisinart SM-55 that you had inquired about, but did not see your post until after you sent for the KA. I purchased the Cuisinart because the wattage was higher than the KA and the price was the same. I am completely satisfied with the SM-55... I especially like the timer feature.

I only have one issue with the heavy duty stand mixers...you still have to scrape the bowl to mix ingredients. The bowl is very large, and deep, and the ingredients do not mix completely like they would in an ordinary mixer that has a wider bowl, and the bowl spins around on its' own. I learned the hard way the non-heavy duty stand mixers do not handle gluten free products well. I burned out a brand new hand mixer, and could smell the motor burning and straining in my old Sunbeam mixer. This was after I learned I had a wheat,soy,dairy problem.

I bought a heavy duty professional quality silicone bowl scraper, and it serves the purpose very nicely, and will not break like the smaller ones.

As far as those "bricks" are concerned, gluten free breadcrumbs are very expensive, and I now have a good supply of bread crumbs and croutons from my own brick collection. I use them for fried fish, scallops, onion rings, etc. Ground rice chex cereal also is excellent for fried foods.

I think you will get more use from your KA than a bread machine. I have 2 bread machines, and also have a ZO bread machine. I can honestly say I use the stand mixer more often.

sa1937 Community Regular

Udi's gluten containing bread is sold fresh....their gluten free bread is sold frozen because it only has a shelf life of 3 days. Where does she purchase her bread? I've been in the Denver area for over 2 months, and have never seen gluten free Udi's sold fresh, unless they sell it right in downtown Denver at their bakery, if that is where the bakery is located. Their product has gone downhill in the past year....crust is very, very hard. Local stores do not sell their hamburger rolls, either, even tho they are advertised.

My daughter buys it at Whole Foods (the Cherry Creek store)...fresh gluten-free bread is on the rack with the regular bread. She said parking is a pain at that store. I didn't ask if she saw the hamburger buns there.

Marc49 Explorer

Figured I would reply without doing a C&P of Ginsou's post.

Believe me,......as soon as I get the new one and try a couple of things I will give an opinion. I wouldn't be too excited about my results, as you folks have been doing this for a long time, and I have virtually never baked a thing in my life! :D

I doubt I am going to discover a miracle,...especially considering that I am very picky.

As far as the bread crumbs and croutons go, I eat virtually no fried foods, and don't care much for croutons in my salads. I love fish/seafood though, but I usually bake it 'naked' per se, or I use a coating mix that I have been using for years that makes the baked fish taste pretty much like deep fried. Believe it or not it's gluten free.

Most of my diet is actually what they now have termed 'Paleo' I guess. Lots of fresh veggies, fruit, and a variety of meat and a small amount of dairy. I don't drink milk, but I do have a weakness for cheese!

Virtually no sweets, as I have never been a 'sweet tooth' in my entire life.

I am one of those 'strange' folks that kind of sticks to a revolving routine of my favorite foods each week. I never tire of eating the same things over and over again!

I like Mexican about once a week, and have finally gotten used to the hard corn tostadas instead of my previous soft flour burrito shells. I also found a decent pizza crust that makes me feel like I am eating a real pizza, although I still miss my weekly pie from a real NY style hole in the wall place I used to frequent.

I grill outside a lot, and I use bison for almost everything that I used to use beef for. I found great gluten-free pasta, as I also love my homemade spaghetti sauce on a regular basis.

I love meatloaf, and make it about twice a month. The only thing I had to change in that recipe was the bread crumbs. I toss some rice chex in the food processor, and at this point I can't tell the difference.

For me this is not really hard. I just 'wish' for a decent burger bun, and a hot dog bun even though I only eat those a few times a year. I doubt I will ever make bread that I can tolerate in a 'brown bag' lunch with no way to heat/toast it, so I guess I will start making a large salad with meat and cheese,.....no big thing!

Sorry for the novel length response, but I am bored to death. It's pouring outside, and I am stuck inside! ;)

Simona19 Collaborator

Hi!

I spent all weekend baking my "miracle" bread and the result is that I don't have to buy bread crumbs for 3 months now. :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have plenty of them. But I'm close, very close. I manage to make hard, crunchy top that is crunchy even after 2 days, but the middle part need much more improvement. I used almost all my flour supply. I will try again next week because I want to eat normal bread again. I have been baking cakes, pastry, breads (regular) from 13 years of age and I want to try to make normal Russian style bread. I hope, one day.. :)

Marc49 Explorer

Hi!

I spent all weekend baking my "miracle" bread and the result is that I don't have to buy bread crumbs for 3 months now. :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have plenty of them. But I'm close, very close. I manage to make hard, crunchy top that is crunchy even after 2 days, but the middle part need much more improvement. I used almost all my flour supply. I will try again next week because I want to eat normal bread again. I have been baking cakes, pastry, breads (regular) from 13 years of age and I want to try to make normal Russian style bread. I hope, one day.. :)

Simona,.....when you finally hit the right mix, be sure to let us all know about it.

What is different about Russian bread?

I'm curious because my departed step-father was from Russian descent. B)

Simona19 Collaborator

Simona,.....when you finally hit the right mix, be sure to let us all know about it.

What is different about Russian bread?

I'm curious because my departed step-father was from Russian descent. B)

I

Sammyj Apprentice

Sylvia,

After reading this several times, I have purchased a KitchenAid Stand Mixer. All I know for sure is that it's red, and 325 watts, and runs good. (used on craigslist).

Now, I need to find a good bread pan! metal or glass? Best size?

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia,

After reading this several times, I have purchased a KitchenAid Stand Mixer. All I know for sure is that it's red, and 325 watts, and runs good. (used on craigslist).

Now, I need to find a good bread pan! metal or glass? Best size?

Woo hoo! Another bread baker is about to join the fray! :lol:

I have several size pans...the standard 9x5" el-cheapo pans from Wally World, some ancient glass Pyrex loaf pans, a couple of 8 x 4-1/2" Norpro pans from Amazon and a 9x4x4" loaf pan made by USA Pans. I've been using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to make hamburger buns in a muffin top pan (I'm sure I could also make them on a cookie sheet). I also bought a French bread pan. One can never have too many. lol The jury is still out on what's the "best" size or even the best pan. If you don't have any, I'd go to Wally World and get a regular size loaf pan to start.

Marc49 Explorer

Woo hoo! Another bread baker is about to join the fray! :lol:

I have several size pans...the standard 9x5" el-cheapo pans from Wally World, some ancient glass Pyrex loaf pans, a couple of 8 x 4-1/2" Norpro pans from Amazon and a 9x4x4" loaf pan made by USA Pans. I've been using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to make hamburger buns in a muffin top pan (I'm sure I could also make them on a cookie sheet). I also bought a French bread pan. One can never have too many. lol The jury is still out on what's the "best" size or even the best pan. If you don't have any, I'd go to Wally World and get a regular size loaf pan to start.

I agree Sylvia,.....the more of us out here experimenting, the better chance of someone hitting on something edible one of these days! :)

sa1937 Community Regular

I agree Sylvia,.....the more of us out here experimenting, the better chance of someone hitting on something edible one of these days! :)

I'm waiting to hit the lottery!!! I want a knock-your-socks-off bread recipe...still searching, still tweaking. Thus far nothing I've tried has measured up to expectations but generally I do make things that are at least edible.

love2travel Mentor

This is my coddled and deeply loved KA mixer. The reason I am posting this is that this company ships to other countries as well as the US and Canada. They have tons of awesome kitchen equipment!

Open Original Shared Link

sa1937 Community Regular

No wonder you polish it and adoringly look at it. :wub: :wub: :wub: I have ordered from Chef's Catalog before...can't remember exactly what but I think it was some Calphalon cookware.

Archived