This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Machine Question

Marc49

love2travel Mentor

No wonder you polish it and adoringly look at it. :wub: :wub: :wub: I have ordered from Chef's Catalog before...can't remember exactly what but I think it was some Calphalon cookware.

I know! :lol: Thankfully as I mentioned above I got mine from eBay for substantially less than that hefty price tag. It is pretty awesome, though!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simona19 Collaborator

I would like to buy Ka mixer too, but I don't know which one is better. I would like to get $50 rebate too. This rebate is good only for models:KP26M1X, KP26M8X, KP26N9X, KL26M8X*. Which would you buy in my place?

I didn't see nothing on A... for $200. The cheepest mixer was for $311,--.

sa1937 Community Regular

Simona, you're looking at the Pro series, which is much more expensive. I have the Artisan, which is priced somewhere between $200+ and $300 depending on the color.

Simona19 Collaborator

Simona, you're looking at the Pro series, which is much more expensive. I have the Artisan, which is priced somewhere between $200+ and $300 depending on the color.

I have another question: Can I buy KA mixer anywhere? Would I be able to get rebate, if I buy it from different place than A...?

Simona19 Collaborator

I read the form again and I found out that the rebate is not valid on eBay, Macy's, Lowe's, and Bed Bath & Beyond sites.

Hm... :(

Simona19 Collaborator

I just bought this: KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, model KP26M1X. I will get it on Monday. :)

I will have birthday in September and I chose this to be my gift. If Sylvia wouldn't show us this rebate, I wouldn't buy it.

The shipping is free, the price of it was $311,.. and with rebate the final price would be $261. I'm happy.

I have been using Sunbean stand mixer, but it can't handle gluten free baking. The dough would try to go inside of mixer - :angry::blink: :blink: It's funny to see that, but very hard to clean. I got it from my mom two years ago as Christmas gift. I found out that I have problem with gluten last summer. I was avoiding gluten free baking because I don't have the propper tools. Now I would be able to bake more things.

P.S.: I was at Trade Joe's and I realized something. I wanted to buy Udi's bread. The size of it was like for Barbies. Wow!

The price was 4.99. Yesterday I stopped there to buy rice milk and I look in the bread aile. They had Udi's hamburger buns. They were very, very small. The price for them was $3,89. At Whole food they are $5,79. They are regular size buns. The company must sell two sizes from their products.

sa1937 Community Regular

I just bought this: KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, model KP26M1X. I will get it on Monday. :)

I will have birthday in September and I chose this to be my gift. If Sylvia wouldn't show us this rebate, I wouldn't buy it.

The shipping is free, the price of it was $311,.. and with rebate the final price would be $261. I'm happy.

I have been using Sunbean stand mixer, but it can't handle gluten free baking. The dough would try to go inside of mixer - :angry::blink: :blink: It's funny to see that, but very hard to clean. I got it from my mom two years ago as Christmas gift. I found out that I have problem with gluten last summer. I was avoiding gluten free baking because I don't have the propper tools. Now I would be able to bake more things.

WOW!!! I'm excited for you! Nice birthday gift to yourself! I tend to buy myself gifts, too. Great price on the Pro model. You realize, of course, that we'll expect some knock-out bread recipes from you, don't you??? :lol: With so many of us diddling around trying different recipes, hopefully one of us will come up with that *perfect* loaf of bread.

For something as simple as a quick bread, I still tend to use my hand-held mixer, but yeast breads or pizza dough, it only took me one brick to realize I needed a stand mixer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

P.S.: I was at Trade Joe's and I realized something. I wanted to buy Udi's bread. The size of it was like for Barbies. Wow!

The price was 4.99. Yesterday I stopped there to buy rice milk and I look in the bread aile. They had Udi's hamburger buns. They were very, very small. The price for them was $3,89. At Whole food they are $5,79. They are regular size buns. The company must sell two sizes from their products.

How wonderful for you! We deserve to gift ourselves every now and then. What colour are you getting? I use mine nearly daily.

Our Udi's bread is $7.49 so $4.99 is a bargain! :lol:

Simona19 Collaborator

How wonderful for you! We deserve to gift ourselves every now and then. What colour are you getting? I use mine nearly daily.

Our Udi's bread is $7.49 so $4.99 is a bargain! :lol:

Pearl metalic. I don't care about color. The price is good and that is the most important thing. ;)

I know that 4.99 is good price, but at the beginning their bread in Trade Joe's was much bigger. I think they have to many orders for it and they can't handle it to good. Quality is little of.

AND...

This is the reason why I'm trying so hard to make my "miracle" bread. :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm close. I hope the next round would be succesful.

love2travel Mentor

Pearl metalic. I don't care about color. The price is good and that is the most important thing. ;)

I know that 4.99 is good price, but at the beginning their bread in Trade Joe's was much bigger. I think they have to many orders for it and they can't handle it to good. Quality is little of.

AND...

This is the reason why I'm trying so hard to make my "miracle" bread. :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm close. I hope the next round would be succesful.

True enough about the price! You would be amazed at the animated discussions people have on foodie forums about colour! The debates can get almost heated.

It is so satisfying and gratifying to make a decent gluten-free loaf of puffy bread. My last loaf was tall, fat with a tender crumb yet a chewy crust. It rose so beautifully! Making some more today as it is cool outside. It nearly froze last night and the leaves are already falling... :(

Marc49 Explorer

True enough about the price! You would be amazed at the animated discussions people have on foodie forums about colour! The debates can get almost heated.

It is so satisfying and gratifying to make a decent gluten-free loaf of puffy bread. My last loaf was tall, fat with a tender crumb yet a chewy crust. It rose so beautifully! Making some more today as it is cool outside. It nearly froze last night and the leaves are already falling... :(

Send some of that fall weather down here,.......I'm ready for summer to be over! LOL

Is there anyway you could post that recipe for the bread you just made? I got my new replacement mixer a few minutes ago,......hope nothing is wrong with this one! All I have right now to try first is a bag of that Pamela's Products mix.

Who would have thought my little thread would have gone on this long! :)

love2travel Mentor

Send some of that fall weather down here,.......I'm ready for summer to be over! LOL

Is there anyway you could post that recipe for the bread you just made? I got my new replacement mixer a few minutes ago,......hope nothing is wrong with this one! All I have right now to try first is a bag of that Pamela's Products mix.

Who would have thought my little thread would have gone on this long! :)

Yes, I love this fall weather but dread what happens next. Our winters are sooooooo long with snow from October to April and temperatures often -35 to -40F. Yuck.

You got your replacement mixer already? Yay! You must be absolutely itching to use it. I have not tried any mixes but have heard that Pamela's is good. Let us know!

Will post the bread recipe. Just typed it out for someone else so will cut and paste here...

Marc49 Explorer

Yes, I love this fall weather but dread what happens next. Our winters are sooooooo long with snow from October to April and temperatures often -35 to -40F. Yuck.

You got your replacement mixer already? Yay! You must be absolutely itching to use it. I have not tried any mixes but have heard that Pamela's is good. Let us know!

Will post the bread recipe. Just typed it out for someone else so will cut and paste here...

Yes,.....I wasn't expecting it until next week actually.

Here is another incredibly stupid question for you baker types.LOL

That Pamela's mix I have calls for 1/4 cup of oil. I assume it is plain vegetable oil?

Since I have not been a baker, all I use for my 'other' cooking is olive oil, or canola oil. I doubt they intend for you to use either of those! :)

I will learn!

Simona19 Collaborator

That Pamela's mix I have calls for 1/4 cup of oil. I assume it is plain vegetable oil?

Since I have not been a baker, all I use for my 'other' cooking is olive oil, or canola oil. I doubt they intend for you to use either of those! :)

I will learn!

I'm always using canola oil, even if recipe is calling for vegetable oil. So far everything what I baked was good. I don't know, if there is any major difference between them, but for me oil is oil (except special oils like coconut, peanut, etc.). I think you would be fine with canola oil.

love2travel Mentor

I will learn!

Remember - no such thing as a stupid question! :D This gluten-free baking is a totally different thing when it comes to breads, etc.

As Simona said you could certainly use any neutral oil such as vegetable, canola or even grapeseed (but grapeseed oil can be expensive). What kind of mix is it? Sorry - am not familiar with mixes. For focaccia bread it would be olive oil but that would be specified.

Marc49 Explorer

Remember - no such thing as a stupid question! :D This gluten-free baking is a totally different thing when it comes to breads, etc.

As Simona said you could certainly use any neutral oil such as vegetable, canola or even grapeseed (but grapeseed oil can be expensive). What kind of mix is it? Sorry - am not familiar with mixes. For focaccia bread it would be olive oil but that would be specified.

Just Pamela's Products plain bread mix.

All it says is 'oil.'

Don't forget to C&P that recipe when you get the chance! :)

love2travel Mentor

Just Pamela's Products plain bread mix.

All it says is 'oil.'

Don't forget to C&P that recipe when you get the chance! :)

This is a lean bread which means it has less fat such as French bread, etc. I have other recipes for multi-grain, sourdough, mock rye...

Lean Bread (makes 2 8"x4" loaves or 20 rolls)

2 2/3 c flour blend #1

3 c flour blend #2

1 T salt

3 T guar gum

2 1/3 T instant yeast

3 1/2 c sparkling water

6 egg whites

Blend #1

3/4 c white rice flour

4 c potato starch

5 T guar gum

1/2 c albumen

Blend #2

1 3/4 c white rice flour

1 1/4 tapioca starch

1 3/4 c soy flour (defatted - very important!)

1/2 c whey powder

Thoroughly combine flour blends, salt, guar gum and yeast in mixer bowl.

In separate bowl combine sparkling water and egg whites and then add the wet to the dry in mixer bowl.

Mix with paddle for 4 minutes on low speed or until smooth.

Add additional ingredients such as herbs or raisings or spices or even cheese if you want. I add ground flax for added fibre.

Scoop mixture into greased baking cups for rolls or loaf pans for bread, filling 2/3 full.

Proof 45-60 min.

Bake in preheated 375 oven for 45-55 minutes for bread and 15 for rolls. It helps if you add steam to the oven by spraying in some water just before you put in the oven (adds nice crust).

*I have added a touch of plain gelatin and psyllium fibre, too, which also makes a nice bread and enables you to use a bit less guar gum. Have yet to try it with xanthan gum.

sa1937 Community Regular

Marc, hopefully your new mixer works well? Are you baking now??? We'll anxiously be awaiting your report. And yes, if a recipe calls for veggie oil, I use canola oil, too. Basically I just have it and olive oil in my stash.

Love2travel, what in the heck is albumen? Something to do with eggs??? I really don't want to get into buying soy flour, not that I think I have a problem with soy, but a lot of people do so I don't go out of my way to buy soy. I'm sure it does add a lot of good properties to baked goods. Soy just sneaks into so many things. I wouldn't even know where to buy defatted soy flour around here or whey either. Do most of the recipes in your CIA book call for soy?

ETA: Jules is having another special on her flour...so, I've ordered more. :lol: Someone help me!!! :unsure::blink::lol:

Marc49 Explorer

Sylvia,.....not baking yet, but the mixer seems fine this time. I'll probably try that mix tomorrow, and I'm glad to know that canola oil is fine to use.

I read the directions for the Pamela's bread mix and saw something I found a little strange. It says to use the whip attachment on the stand mixer instead of the paddle,......is that what I should really do?

You also brought up another point that I hate about this gluten-free diet. So many things have soy in them!

While I don't have any particular problem with soy, I AM a male, and from what I have read, a lot of soy is not good for men. It mimics female hormones somehow, and that's the last thing that an almost 50 year old male needs! We are already starting to fight lowered testosterone levels at this age. :)

As good as the recipe above sounds, I don't think I will make it due to the soy,....plus like you, I doubt seriously that I could find the type that is mentioned without ordering it online.

love2travel Mentor

Sorry about the soy - it unfortunately is key in the recipe due to its protein content which adds wonderful structure to bread. Defatted soy tastes far less strong than soy. I cannot get it in my town, either, but in the city three hours away.

Darn it - I wish you could try it but I understand that you cannot! :( Perhaps if I stopped soy my chronic pain would improve, too...

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia,.....not baking yet, but the mixer seems fine this time. I'll probably try that mix tomorrow, and I'm glad to know that canola oil is fine to use.

I read the directions for the Pamela's bread mix and saw something I found a little strange. It says to use the whip attachment on the stand mixer instead of the paddle,......is that what I should really do?

You also brought up another point that I hate about this gluten-free diet. So many things have soy in them!

While I don't have any particular problem with soy, I AM a male, and from what I have read, a lot of soy is not good for men. It mimics female hormones somehow, and that's the last thing that an almost 50 year old male needs! We are already starting to fight lowered testosterone levels at this age. :)

As good as the recipe above sounds, I don't think I will make it due to the soy,....plus like you, I doubt seriously that I could find the type that is mentioned without ordering it online.

Glad to hear the mixer seems fine! It would be terrible to get another dud. I'll be looking forward to hearing how the bread turns out since I've never used Pamela's.

Hmmm...interesting that it says to use the whip attachment. I've never used mine for yeast bread but given that the instructions tell you to do that, I guess I'd follow the instructions and see what happens. I've always used the flat paddle attachment. My dough hook has never been used.

Sorry about the soy - it unfortunately is key in the recipe due to its protein content which adds wonderful structure to bread. Defatted soy tastes far less strong than soy. I cannot get it in my town, either, but in the city three hours away.

Darn it - I wish you could try it but I understand that you cannot! :( Perhaps if I stopped soy my chronic pain would improve, too...

I've purposely avoided soy just because so many people here have problems with it. I figure it's just one thing I don't need to add to my diet as it does sneak into things where there is absolutely no rhyme or reason for adding it.

Now wouldn't that be something if you gave up soy and found it helped with your chronic pain!!! If I were you, I think I'd try that and see what happens.

Marc49 Explorer

Well,.....I guess I wil try the whip then.

Basically all I have to do is drop the mix into the bowl with the enclosed yeast packet.

You then put 1/4 cup of oil, and I think 2 eggs, and add warm water up to the 2 cup mark. Mix it for whatever time and pour it into an 8X4 greased pan. I am going from memory here! LOL

You don't even let it rise,....claims it will rise while baking!

Guess I will see what happens, but I don't have high hopes for my first try. :)

I'm almost thinking of using olive oil and putting in a little basil. Maybe I better stick to the strict recipe on the package for the first try though.

This should be interesting needless to say.

I bought a couple of cheap pans for now like you suggested,.....my bun pan is not here yet.

Edit: I posted my test results where you suggested BTW,...thanks again Sylvia!

love2travel Mentor

Glad to hear the mixer seems fine! It would be terrible to get another dud. I'll be looking forward to hearing how the bread turns out since I've never used Pamela's.

Hmmm...interesting that it says to use the whip attachment. I've never used mine for yeast bread but given that the instructions tell you to do that, I guess I'd follow the instructions and see what happens. I've always used the flat paddle attachment. My dough hook has never been used.

I've purposely avoided soy just because so many people here have problems with it. I figure it's just one thing I don't need to add to my diet as it does sneak into things where there is absolutely no rhyme or reason for adding it.

Now wouldn't that be something if you gave up soy and found it helped with your chronic pain!!! If I were you, I think I'd try that and see what happens.

Marc, I use my whip for whipping eggs but never for breads. As a baker I find that unusual for bread. It will change the texture and structure of the product. I use my dough hook frequently for very stiff batters (i.e. the pizza crust I like best that you can actually KNEAD!).

Sylvia, I think I will avoid soy next. It would be worth it to decrease my pain even by 25%!

sa1937 Community Regular

Well,.....I guess I wil try the whip then.

Basically all I have to do is drop the mix into the bowl with the enclosed yeast packet.

You then put 1/4 cup of oil, and I think 2 eggs, and add warm water up to the 2 cup mark. Mix it for whatever time and pour it into an 8X4 greased pan. I am going from memory here! LOL

You don't even let it rise,....claims it will rise while baking!

Guess I will see what happens, but I don't have high hopes for my first try. :)

I'm almost thinking of using olive oil and putting in a little basil. Maybe I better stick to the strict recipe on the package for the first try though.

This should be interesting needless to say.

I bought a couple of cheap pans for now like you suggested,.....my bun pan is not here yet.

Edit: I posted my test results where you suggested BTW,...thanks again Sylvia!

It sure sounds easy enough, Marc! It's interesting that you don't have to let it rise before baking...does it have baking powder and/or baking soda in it as well as yeast? One suggestion is to have the eggs at room temperature before mixing up the batter/dough. I keep a number of flours in the fridge (the kinds that would get rancid quickly) and I always measure them out and let them warm up before making bread.

I have high hopes for your first try...especially since you're using a mix. Hopefully you'll like the taste, too.

I saw your other post...hopefully someone will see it there and help you interpret the results.

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia, I think I will avoid soy next. It would be worth it to decrease my pain even by 25%!

I hope avoiding avoiding soy will get rid of lots of your pain!!! Wouldn't that be the cat's meow!!! Of course, you'll then have to find a sub for that soy flour in breads but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

Archived