131 replies to this topic

#61 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hi! I just want to tell you that I have been eating Udi's bread fresh for 1 year now. At first I was buying it in Whole food for 5.99, but now I get it in Trade Joe's for 4.99. I just had hamburger with their bagel. I didn't like their whole grain hamburger buns. I like their cinnamon bagels, or bread. I can buy them fresh. OMG!!! Bread!!
It's still expensive, but much better like in your area. I live in New Jersey, close to New York.

I would like to make one day the BREAD, the real, normal bread. In my free time I'm looking for recipes and making changes and trying to bake something good, different. Maybe one day I will bake a miracle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd love to taste Udi's fresh bread. Can't even begin to imagine it...but then if I did, I probably wouldn't be doing all the experimenting I'm doing. At least I rarely, if ever, bake bricks any more. No Whole Foods or Trader Joe's around here (no Wegman's either).

The hamburger buns I baked aren't bad. I think I could have pushed the rise a bit more as they are a bit dense. Definitely have potential. And I need to make them a bit smaller for me, probably could get a doz. out of that recipe.

I hear you! I'm waiting for that miracle, too! :lol: I suspect we are not alone!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

I'm totally satisfied with customer service's response.
At first I was afraid they were going to tell me to take it to an authorized service center, or that I would have to pay return shipping.

The rep was very nice and insisted that I get a new one to be safe.
I think some flakes of styrofoam got into the switch mechanism myself.
Still safer to send it back,......with my luck it would work fine until day 366! LOL

#63 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

I just knew you had the super duper model. lol I have no idea what the motor is made of but my attachments are metal...not stainless steel but look sort of vinyl clad...sounds like I'm describing windows. :unsure: I bought mine in May a year ago and so far, so good. My daughter has a classic model, I think, that they got for a wedding gift 22 years ago but she's not hung up on bread like I am. She also lives in Denver where she can get Udi's fresh, not frozen. Can you imagine!!!

Udi's gluten containing bread is sold fresh....their gluten free bread is sold frozen because it only has a shelf life of 3 days. Where does she purchase her bread? I've been in the Denver area for over 2 months, and have never seen gluten free Udi's sold fresh, unless they sell it right in downtown Denver at their bakery, if that is where the bakery is located. Their product has gone downhill in the past year....crust is very, very hard. Local stores do not sell their hamburger rolls, either, even tho they are advertised.

#64 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Gosh, Marc, was waiting with baited breath to see how your cooking experimentation turned out! Sounds like KitchenAid is a good company that stands behind their product.

I have the Cuisinart SM-55 that you had inquired about, but did not see your post until after you sent for the KA. I purchased the Cuisinart because the wattage was higher than the KA and the price was the same. I am completely satisfied with the SM-55... I especially like the timer feature.

I only have one issue with the heavy duty stand mixers...you still have to scrape the bowl to mix ingredients. The bowl is very large, and deep, and the ingredients do not mix completely like they would in an ordinary mixer that has a wider bowl, and the bowl spins around on its' own. I learned the hard way the non-heavy duty stand mixers do not handle gluten free products well. I burned out a brand new hand mixer, and could smell the motor burning and straining in my old Sunbeam mixer. This was after I learned I had a wheat,soy,dairy problem.

I bought a heavy duty professional quality silicone bowl scraper, and it serves the purpose very nicely, and will not break like the smaller ones.

As far as those "bricks" are concerned, gluten free breadcrumbs are very expensive, and I now have a good supply of bread crumbs and croutons from my own brick collection. I use them for fried fish, scallops, onion rings, etc. Ground rice chex cereal also is excellent for fried foods.

I think you will get more use from your KA than a bread machine. I have 2 bread machines, and also have a ZO bread machine. I can honestly say I use the stand mixer more often.

#65 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Udi's gluten containing bread is sold fresh....their gluten free bread is sold frozen because it only has a shelf life of 3 days. Where does she purchase her bread? I've been in the Denver area for over 2 months, and have never seen gluten free Udi's sold fresh, unless they sell it right in downtown Denver at their bakery, if that is where the bakery is located. Their product has gone downhill in the past year....crust is very, very hard. Local stores do not sell their hamburger rolls, either, even tho they are advertised.

My daughter buys it at Whole Foods (the Cherry Creek store)...fresh gluten-free bread is on the rack with the regular bread. She said parking is a pain at that store. I didn't ask if she saw the hamburger buns there.
Sylvia

#66 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Figured I would reply without doing a C&P of Ginsou's post.
Believe me,......as soon as I get the new one and try a couple of things I will give an opinion. I wouldn't be too excited about my results, as you folks have been doing this for a long time, and I have virtually never baked a thing in my life! :D
I doubt I am going to discover a miracle,...especially considering that I am very picky.

As far as the bread crumbs and croutons go, I eat virtually no fried foods, and don't care much for croutons in my salads. I love fish/seafood though, but I usually bake it 'naked' per se, or I use a coating mix that I have been using for years that makes the baked fish taste pretty much like deep fried. Believe it or not it's gluten free.

Most of my diet is actually what they now have termed 'Paleo' I guess. Lots of fresh veggies, fruit, and a variety of meat and a small amount of dairy. I don't drink milk, but I do have a weakness for cheese!
Virtually no sweets, as I have never been a 'sweet tooth' in my entire life.

I am one of those 'strange' folks that kind of sticks to a revolving routine of my favorite foods each week. I never tire of eating the same things over and over again!

I like Mexican about once a week, and have finally gotten used to the hard corn tostadas instead of my previous soft flour burrito shells. I also found a decent pizza crust that makes me feel like I am eating a real pizza, although I still miss my weekly pie from a real NY style hole in the wall place I used to frequent.

I grill outside a lot, and I use bison for almost everything that I used to use beef for. I found great gluten-free pasta, as I also love my homemade spaghetti sauce on a regular basis.

I love meatloaf, and make it about twice a month. The only thing I had to change in that recipe was the bread crumbs. I toss some rice chex in the food processor, and at this point I can't tell the difference.

For me this is not really hard. I just 'wish' for a decent burger bun, and a hot dog bun even though I only eat those a few times a year. I doubt I will ever make bread that I can tolerate in a 'brown bag' lunch with no way to heat/toast it, so I guess I will start making a large salad with meat and cheese,.....no big thing!

Sorry for the novel length response, but I am bored to death. It's pouring outside, and I am stuck inside! ;)

#67 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hi!
I spent all weekend baking my "miracle" bread and the result is that I don't have to buy bread crumbs for 3 months now. :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have plenty of them. But I'm close, very close. I manage to make hard, crunchy top that is crunchy even after 2 days, but the middle part need much more improvement. I used almost all my flour supply. I will try again next week because I want to eat normal bread again. I have been baking cakes, pastry, breads (regular) from 13 years of age and I want to try to make normal Russian style bread. I hope, one day.. :)

#68 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hi!
I spent all weekend baking my "miracle" bread and the result is that I don't have to buy bread crumbs for 3 months now. :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have plenty of them. But I'm close, very close. I manage to make hard, crunchy top that is crunchy even after 2 days, but the middle part need much more improvement. I used almost all my flour supply. I will try again next week because I want to eat normal bread again. I have been baking cakes, pastry, breads (regular) from 13 years of age and I want to try to make normal Russian style bread. I hope, one day.. :)

Simona,.....when you finally hit the right mix, be sure to let us all know about it.

What is different about Russian bread?
I'm curious because my departed step-father was from Russian descent. B)

#69 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

Simona,.....when you finally hit the right mix, be sure to let us all know about it.

What is different about Russian bread?
I'm curious because my departed step-father was from Russian descent. B)

Iím not from Russia, but Russia was my neighbor long time ago. Iím from Czechoslovakia, Slovakia now because Czechoslovakia divided into two countries: Czech republic and Slovak republic. My neighbor now is Ukraine instead of Russia.
The bread that I want to make is called Russian bread in my ShopRite bakery. Itís the rye bread with caraway seeds. They are selling it by the pounds. Ones I asked how much I would pay for the whole thing and the lady told me $12,99. That kind of bread we had everywhere in stores in my country. With seeds or without for peanut butter jelly sandwich.

This bread would be great for sandwiches. Not just for you, but also for my husband. He liked the flavor, consistence wasnít so good, but the crust was and it is till today. I just had one slice. Wow!

I have mission to make real bread. What I baked on Saturday tastes like that bread, but it isnĎt so airy like it suppose to. I need to change something, something very small and it will be perfect.

#70 Sammyj

Sammyj

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

Sylvia,

After reading this several times, I have purchased a KitchenAid Stand Mixer. All I know for sure is that it's red, and 325 watts, and runs good. (used on craigslist).

Now, I need to find a good bread pan! metal or glass? Best size?

#71 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

Sylvia,

After reading this several times, I have purchased a KitchenAid Stand Mixer. All I know for sure is that it's red, and 325 watts, and runs good. (used on craigslist).

Now, I need to find a good bread pan! metal or glass? Best size?

Woo hoo! Another bread baker is about to join the fray! :lol:

I have several size pans...the standard 9x5" el-cheapo pans from Wally World, some ancient glass Pyrex loaf pans, a couple of 8 x 4-1/2" Norpro pans from Amazon and a 9x4x4" loaf pan made by USA Pans. I've been using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to make hamburger buns in a muffin top pan (I'm sure I could also make them on a cookie sheet). I also bought a French bread pan. One can never have too many. lol The jury is still out on what's the "best" size or even the best pan. If you don't have any, I'd go to Wally World and get a regular size loaf pan to start.
Sylvia

#72 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

Woo hoo! Another bread baker is about to join the fray! :lol:

I have several size pans...the standard 9x5" el-cheapo pans from Wally World, some ancient glass Pyrex loaf pans, a couple of 8 x 4-1/2" Norpro pans from Amazon and a 9x4x4" loaf pan made by USA Pans. I've been using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to make hamburger buns in a muffin top pan (I'm sure I could also make them on a cookie sheet). I also bought a French bread pan. One can never have too many. lol The jury is still out on what's the "best" size or even the best pan. If you don't have any, I'd go to Wally World and get a regular size loaf pan to start.

I agree Sylvia,.....the more of us out here experimenting, the better chance of someone hitting on something edible one of these days! :)

#73 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

I agree Sylvia,.....the more of us out here experimenting, the better chance of someone hitting on something edible one of these days! :)

I'm waiting to hit the lottery!!! I want a knock-your-socks-off bread recipe...still searching, still tweaking. Thus far nothing I've tried has measured up to expectations but generally I do make things that are at least edible.
Sylvia

#74 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

This is my coddled and deeply loved KA mixer. The reason I am posting this is that this company ships to other countries as well as the US and Canada. They have tons of awesome kitchen equipment!
http://www.chefscata...tand-mixer.aspx
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#75 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

No wonder you polish it and adoringly look at it. :wub: :wub: :wub: I have ordered from Chef's Catalog before...can't remember exactly what but I think it was some Calphalon cookware.
Sylvia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: