Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Is Gin A (Gluten) Sin?

11 posts in this topic

Is gin gluten free? My own research remains inconclusive.

Ads by Google:

As a distilled spirit, gin is generally accepted as gluten-free. I drink gin with no problems. Cheers!

Martini1-1.jpg

The olives and vermouth are gluten-free too. ;)

I once came across an answer to this kind of question on a blog that I thought was very reasonable and addressed both the distillation and the fact that some celiacs report reacting to spirits distilled from gluten grains:

The distillation process will eliminate the grain used to make the alcohol. But, the grain used to make the alcohol will, by necessity, be in the same facility as the alcohol being made from it. So gin would have a higher gluten cc risk than, say, rum or tequila. I'm sure that the risk level would differ depending on how careful a particular company is with their cleaning and anti- contamination processes.

I'd say for most people, if you stay away from foods that carry a 'also processed in a facility that processes wheat' label, you should stay away from gin. If foods processed in the same facility as wheat don't usually seem to bother you personally, than it's likely fine.

I have been drinking Tanqueray and tonics all summer!!

I think gin is made from juniper berries not anything resembling wheat. At least it used to be.

I think gin is made from juniper berries not anything resembling wheat. At least it used to be.

Yup. Gin is a safe alcohol for even those that react to gluten distilled alcohols.

Thank you all so much for your responses! I haven't tried gin in the three months that I've been gluten free--maybe I'll imbibe a bit and see how it goes. I surely do love Bombay Sapphire Gin and tonic. It's astringent-ness is so summery good to me!

In my research I found that juniper berries flavor the alcohol, but were not the source of it. I read that gin was a neutral(I surmise that neutral means unflavored) spirit distilled from various grains.

I'm just now learning (from y'all) that distillation removes the reactionary part of gluten? Is that correct?

One of the most difficult parts of going gluten free for me was giving up dark beers. I'm actually not a heavy drinker, but I like what I like and dark beer was one of my favorite alcoholic beverages. It was something that I had in common with a group of friends and family members that I enjoyed exlporing and sharing with them. I guess I'm mourning the loss more than the actual thing...and I'm remembering that beer isn't the only adult beverage that I enjoy.

Thanks again for the help!

I think you'd get turpentine if you tried to distil juniper berries. :lol: Gin has always been grain neutral spirits flavored with juniper berries and other botanicals.

Try Hendrick's gin. It's really good.

Gin is grain neutral spirits FLAVORED with juniper berries. It's never been a distillate of juniper berries. You'd get turpentine. :lol:

Don't know how its made! But at least the turpentine is gluten-free! :lol:

It's been about 182 degrees for what seems like months and months, at least where I live. Nothing tastes quite like that gin and tonic when it's hot. B)

It's been about 182 degrees for what seems like months and months, at least where I live. Nothing tastes quite like that gin and tonic when it's hot. B)

I'm in that same heat wave and really looking forward to a nice cool G and T! I ha ve lots of gin in the bar, but I must remember to buy some more diet tonic and maybe a lemon or two...