10 replies to this topic

#1 zentex

zentex

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Is gin gluten free? My own research remains inconclusive.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

As a distilled spirit, gin is generally accepted as gluten-free. I drink gin with no problems. Cheers!

Posted Image

The olives and vermouth are gluten-free too. ;)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

I once came across an answer to this kind of question on a blog that I thought was very reasonable and addressed both the distillation and the fact that some celiacs report reacting to spirits distilled from gluten grains:

The distillation process will eliminate the grain used to make the alcohol. But, the grain used to make the alcohol will, by necessity, be in the same facility as the alcohol being made from it. So gin would have a higher gluten cc risk than, say, rum or tequila. I'm sure that the risk level would differ depending on how careful a particular company is with their cleaning and anti- contamination processes.

I'd say for most people, if you stay away from foods that carry a 'also processed in a facility that processes wheat' label, you should stay away from gin. If foods processed in the same facility as wheat don't usually seem to bother you personally, than it's likely fine.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#4 glutenfreeinminnesota

glutenfreeinminnesota

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

I have been drinking Tanqueray and tonics all summer!!
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease November 2009
2011:
Anemia is gone for the first time in my life, Yay!
Teeth are cleaner according to my dentist (interesting, eh???)
Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

I think gin is made from juniper berries not anything resembling wheat. At least it used to be.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

I think gin is made from juniper berries not anything resembling wheat. At least it used to be.

Yup. Gin is a safe alcohol for even those that react to gluten distilled alcohols.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 zentex

zentex

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses! I haven't tried gin in the three months that I've been gluten free--maybe I'll imbibe a bit and see how it goes. I surely do love Bombay Sapphire Gin and tonic. It's astringent-ness is so summery good to me!

In my research I found that juniper berries flavor the alcohol, but were not the source of it. I read that gin was a neutral(I surmise that neutral means unflavored) spirit distilled from various grains.

I'm just now learning (from y'all) that distillation removes the reactionary part of gluten? Is that correct?

One of the most difficult parts of going gluten free for me was giving up dark beers. I'm actually not a heavy drinker, but I like what I like and dark beer was one of my favorite alcoholic beverages. It was something that I had in common with a group of friends and family members that I enjoyed exlporing and sharing with them. I guess I'm mourning the loss more than the actual thing...and I'm remembering that beer isn't the only adult beverage that I enjoy.

Thanks again for the help!

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

I think you'd get turpentine if you tried to distil juniper berries. :lol: Gin has always been grain neutral spirits flavored with juniper berries and other botanicals.

Try Hendrick's gin. It's really good.

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Gin is grain neutral spirits FLAVORED with juniper berries. It's never been a distillate of juniper berries. You'd get turpentine. :lol:

Don't know how its made! But at least the turpentine is gluten-free! :lol:

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

It's been about 182 degrees for what seems like months and months, at least where I live. Nothing tastes quite like that gin and tonic when it's hot. B)

#11 zentex

zentex

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

It's been about 182 degrees for what seems like months and months, at least where I live. Nothing tastes quite like that gin and tonic when it's hot. B)

I'm in that same heat wave and really looking forward to a nice cool G and T! I ha ve lots of gin in the bar, but I must remember to buy some more diet tonic and maybe a lemon or two...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: