6 replies to this topic

#1 Nxsquid

Nxsquid

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

I'm new to being gluten-free, I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with Celiac, and I've felt great since going gluten-free. However, I still have reactions to sodas. First, Mug's root beer gave me a terrible reaction and Dr Pepper gave me a small one. I have no idea what it could be, can anyone help?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

What are your reactions?
It could be Benzoates.
Almost all soda's are preserved with benzoates.
Only regular coke and seltzer water are not. (That I have found)
Some juices and juice drinks also have benzoates added.
I cannot tolerate benzoates, tartrazine, annato, or yellow food dyes because I am allergic to salicylates and there is a very high cross reactivity with these chemicals they add to food.

Don't know if this is true for you or not, but it is just something for you to consider.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

It could be gluten, or it could be something else.

Many sodas will claim to be gluten free, but they are really in a category of foods that haven't tested for gluten, but simply don't add any gluten ingredients. As such, batches can sometimes be contaminated by gluten and make you ill.

Also, some celiacs start noticing reactions to other foods when they go gluten free. Certain dyes, artificial or natural flavors, and corn syrup is one that a number of people seem to have issue with, too.

I'd go, write down the ingredients of both mug rootbeer and Dr. pepper, note down how you reacted, and avoid them for now. If you react again to something, you may eventually notice a common ingredient, or that foods from a certain company are making you sick (the latter often indicates that something is contaminating that company's food, so a good sign to avoid it).

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

I seriously doubt you're having a gluten reaction.

richard

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

GLuten is really unlikely. But soda have things like high fructose corn syrup that is hard to digest for many people - even non Celiacs. Try a soda with actual sugar & see how you do. That's where I would start.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

I'm sensitive to caffiene.

A cup of coffee makes me feel like I've been glutened for several hours as does a can of Coke.

I can handle decaf coffee in small doses and can somehow drink all the tea I like.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#7 Nxsquid

Nxsquid

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

Thank you to everyone who commented here! I'll look into all of your suggestions, thank you so much! I'm very inclined to think it's caffeine, my stomach does get funny when I take Excedrin, which has a high caffeine content.

But thank you to everyone, it really made me think about what I'm putting in my body when I drink soda!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: