Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Problems With Soda - Help?

7 posts in this topic

I'm new to being gluten-free, I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with Celiac, and I've felt great since going gluten-free. However, I still have reactions to sodas. First, Mug's root beer gave me a terrible reaction and Dr Pepper gave me a small one. I have no idea what it could be, can anyone help?

Ads by Google:

What are your reactions?

It could be Benzoates.

Almost all soda's are preserved with benzoates.

Only regular coke and seltzer water are not. (That I have found)

Some juices and juice drinks also have benzoates added.

I cannot tolerate benzoates, tartrazine, annato, or yellow food dyes because I am allergic to salicylates and there is a very high cross reactivity with these chemicals they add to food.

Don't know if this is true for you or not, but it is just something for you to consider.

It could be gluten, or it could be something else.

Many sodas will claim to be gluten free, but they are really in a category of foods that haven't tested for gluten, but simply don't add any gluten ingredients. As such, batches can sometimes be contaminated by gluten and make you ill.

Also, some celiacs start noticing reactions to other foods when they go gluten free. Certain dyes, artificial or natural flavors, and corn syrup is one that a number of people seem to have issue with, too.

I'd go, write down the ingredients of both mug rootbeer and Dr. pepper, note down how you reacted, and avoid them for now. If you react again to something, you may eventually notice a common ingredient, or that foods from a certain company are making you sick (the latter often indicates that something is contaminating that company's food, so a good sign to avoid it).

I seriously doubt you're having a gluten reaction.

richard

GLuten is really unlikely. But soda have things like high fructose corn syrup that is hard to digest for many people - even non Celiacs. Try a soda with actual sugar & see how you do. That's where I would start.

I'm sensitive to caffiene.

A cup of coffee makes me feel like I've been glutened for several hours as does a can of Coke.

I can handle decaf coffee in small doses and can somehow drink all the tea I like.

Thank you to everyone who commented here! I'll look into all of your suggestions, thank you so much! I'm very inclined to think it's caffeine, my stomach does get funny when I take Excedrin, which has a high caffeine content.

But thank you to everyone, it really made me think about what I'm putting in my body when I drink soda!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• A good diet for avoiding type 2 diabetes
      Thanks so much, gluten-free,  in my hypchondriacal panic I saw that website!  It is good to have an endorsement from a celiac.   I remember seeing quite a few reassuring stories in it along the lines that you describe. Funny isn't as because I now feel far less inclined to eat large amounts of carbohydrate now I have cut back a bit.   It seems the more sugar I ate, the more I wanted to eat.  
    • Celiac.com: Gluten-free not always the way to go
      When people with Celiac Disease eat gluten, their body mounts an immune response that attacks the small intestine and leads to damage to the villi, ... View the full article
    • Newly diagnosed and totally overwhelmed
      It is overwhelming at first but step by step you will begin to find food you like - new naturally gluten free 'clean' food you have never tried before, or gluten free substitutes that taste  almost as good or just as good as the food you miss.   Someone told me one just get used to gluten free bread in the end.  But there are some on the market that are so convincing now they have even fooled my gluten eating family.   (On the subject of bread, one useful tip someone gave me early on is if one toasts gluten free bread it tastes much better.  Others may disagree but I think it does - but you will need your own gluten free toaster.... )   I am also finding that as time goes on there seems to be more and more on offer for us in the shops.  The annoying thing here in the UK is one supermarket does superb ready meals for example, another does great gluten free bread, and another sells delicious gluten free Worcestershire Sauce, but it is hard to find one that sells everything you need under one roof at times.   I don't know if it is like that where you live but if it is like this you will get wise to it and end up getting used to stocking up when the opportunity presents itself. Eating out is often challenging but after not eating out for a while when I was healing I have now found a few restaurants, and a couple are chains, that I can trust.     Lastly, it is always good to have some gluten free snacks - fruits, nuts, bars etc, at the ready when the hunger pangs strike and there is nothing there for you.  I still forget and today went to a museum with my son and had to watch him in the cafe eat his cheese and ham toastie and all I had was a cup of tea!   
    • amalgam dental fillings - remove or not?
      Yes, I meant mercury not lead, thank you for the correction. That's what happens when I stay on the computer until late at night.  The symptoms I have now resemble my gluten reaction and I know it's almost impossible that I would be getting glutened. I remember someone here mentioning that he/she had amalgam fillings removed and it helped, but that was few years back. That's why I posted it here. 
    • Newly diagnosed and totally overwhelmed
      akohlman--I am exactly 1 month from being diagnosed and still going through cleaning out of all the gluten foods from my life. I have really bad Dermatitis Herpetiformis but other wise I had no reason to think I had something like Celiac Disease. That being said, I TOTALLY understand. For me... its hard to be sick and not feel sick if that makes sense.....   I'm going to make the changes. I'm going to live a gluten-free life but like you... I STILL am devastated. I'm overweight... so obviously I don't have a healthy relationship with food, LOL, so I'm DYING at the idea of never eating Pizza Hut, Chili's Pasta, Red Lobster Pasta, McDonalds, etc. I don't care what anyone says.... that is a HUGE adjustment for me and I'm still reeling from the "loss".   That being sad.... I have 3 children and a husband depending on me and I'll do all I can to lengthen my lifespan so.... Here is to new journeys.   YOU ARE NOT ALONE in your sadness!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Flora Simpson