arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Milk Lifting My Mood And Giving Energy...why?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 speedy2056

speedy2056

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

Hi everyone,

this may sound strange but I've recently made the discovery that milk enhances my mood and provides me with energy almost instantly after I've drank it.

This has been happening now for a short while now. When I was accidentally got glutened last week the milk didn't really take any effect, but now that it's been a few days, whatever is in the milk is giving me that lift again. This led me to believe that it could have been a B12 deficiency that I may have been suffering from so I bought some sublingual pills. They arrived today. I did some research and learnt that the methylcobalamin is the best form to take so I got those. I took a pill today and felt nothing. I did read that it could take months to see any chance but this doesn't explain what happened below.

I just drank milk again and got that energy boost, mood lift and a general feeling of good well being.

This may not be the right forum but I am writing this here, anyway, since celiac sufferers may have knowledge of vitamins, etc.

Does anyone know what vitamin could be responsible?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:32 AM

Maybe it's a mild effect from the opioid peptides in milk. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9216246

#3 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

My BIL runs marathons. The recommended drink after exercise is chocolate milk. I know even non-fat milk &/ or chocolate have a good effect on my oldest boy. He plans to stock his dorm fridge with choco milk & Mt dew. If you can digest it, it sounds like a pretty safe upper. :)

That's great Sky! I'm going to tell him he doesn't need drugs. choco milk is his drug.

Edited: just talked to my 18 year old. He said "That sounds about right." in regards to Speedy's mood lift & energy boost. So there are 2 of you.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:43 PM

It could be the casein protein also. The American military once experimented with using casein as a fatigue fighter for soldiers. I have reactions to dairy products myself. I once stayed awake for 3 days straight after eating cheese and wasn't even tired. Started sleeping a after that 4 hours and then 6 hours the next day etc. Now that I have been off gluten longer and have a more healed gut, I don't react to it like that. But I still don't eat it for other reasons.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 speedy2056

speedy2056

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Well, I did lots of research about all this in the past few days and narrowed it down to either a possible B3 or B1 deficiency. Firstly, I tried B3 foods, such as chicken and felt no change.

Today, I tried B1 and felt the same effect that I got from milk ie more energy, much less anxiety (I experienced this a lot!) my mood is much more happy and I feel motivated to do many more things.

I read that Celiac can cause deficiency of many different B vitamins including B1. I believe I may have found my answer but I don't want to say too much in case I'm wrong.

Right now, I'm just enjoying the effects of thinking that I have finally found the right vitamin to replenish.

#6 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

I take a vitamin B-Complex pill. It includes all B vitamins. They seem to give me a lot of energy. In fact I have to be careful not to take them to late into the afternoon because then I'm up all night with energy to burn :)

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#7 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

Maybe it's a mild effect from the opioid peptides in milk. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9216246

My son is really enjoying this! He drank some milk & started jumping around.- all 6'1 175 lbs. "I'm having opiod peptides!"

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

How funny! It's nice to get a high from something healthy. B)

#9 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:10 AM

Have you ever bought a bottle of Organic, low fat chocolate milk and added protein powder to it? I don't care what time of the day or night... it propels my mood exponentially.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: