21 replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

I've avoided dairy for more than a year because it made me every bit as sick as gluten.

Friday evening, I tested hard cheese (cheddar). I didn't have a single repercussion.

I daydreamed and night dreamed about dairy the last two days and nights. I dreamed about whipped cream on meringues or gluten-free biscuits, ice cream, all cheeses (ranked them in order of importance.)

Here's my quandry. I wonder if I would have been willing to challenge dairy earlier if I would have been ok. I hate to try things mid week and have to call in sick, but I hate to screw up my weekends, which is when I do my necessary household stuff, and relax.

It was just a piece of hard cheese. I keep reminding myself of that. I never felt the problem with dairy was with lactose, it was the protein. So today at the grocery I decided that the one thing I missed the most was whipped cream. When I saw Carragean (sp?) in the list of all of the heavy creams (even the ones you whip yourself) I shut down and bought a container of Greek Yogurt.

I didn't used to be food focused like this.

I've seen tag lines of posters who could tolerate dairy awhile and then becane intolerant again. If you have any insight, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Meantime, I'm skeptical but delighted, even if it's short term.

What would you have first if you could finally have dairy?
:D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

ICE CREAM

#3 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Pizza! And really good locatelli romano cheese. I'm Italian, and my pasta dishes just aren't the same without good cheese.

I'm looking forward to doing a dairy challenge in October. Good luck with yours!

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

I've avoided dairy for more than a year because it made me every bit as sick as gluten.

Friday evening, I tested hard cheese (cheddar). I didn't have a single repercussion.

I daydreamed and night dreamed about dairy the last two days and nights. I dreamed about whipped cream on meringues or gluten-free biscuits, ice cream, all cheeses (ranked them in order of importance.)

Here's my quandry. I wonder if I would have been willing to challenge dairy earlier if I would have been ok. I hate to try things mid week and have to call in sick, but I hate to screw up my weekends, which is when I do my necessary household stuff, and relax.

It was just a piece of hard cheese. I keep reminding myself of that. I never felt the problem with dairy was with lactose, it was the protein. So today at the grocery I decided that the one thing I missed the most was whipped cream. When I saw Carragean (sp?) in the list of all of the heavy creams (even the ones you whip yourself) I shut down and bought a container of Greek Yogurt.

I didn't used to be food focused like this.

I've seen tag lines of posters who could tolerate dairy awhile and then becane intolerant again. If you have any insight, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Meantime, I'm skeptical but delighted, even if it's short term.

What would you have first if you could finally have dairy?
:D

I would NOT reintroduce dairy, because I was diagnosed with casein intolerance (IgA antibody reaction to casein). Since that's an immune reaction, I don't think my body is going to forget that it considers casein protein foreign bodies. So my body won't ever forget to create antibodies in response to casein. I've had accidental contamination (consumption) of my diagnosed allergens, months and years after I'd abstained from those. I ALWAYS react as strongly (if not stronger) than I originally reacted with cramping gut pain, bloating, constipation and/or diarrhea. So I'll stick to my safe dairy substitutes for milk, cheese, yogurt, butter and ice cream. Why would I risk unnecessary pain, when I can eat tasty, safe substitutes?

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

When I reintroduced dairy ,I chose to start with cheese.When that went well I added yogurt then cottage cheese and milk.I still have not tried ice cream,no real desire for it :o .
I made sure that when I reintroduced dairy than I changed nothing else in my diet until I was sure about dairy.

I love the fact that I can currently tolerate dairy :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

I was off all cow dairy for a year. I could tolerate goat dairy but I'm not fond of goat yogurt or milk, only cheese. I couldn't quite get used to goat milk in coffee so I was drinking it with a gluten-free brand of rice milk.

When I reintroduced cow dairy, I went straight for CHEESE! I had been eating goat and sheep's milk cheese and some of them were really good, but I missed sharp cheddar so badly. I also finally got to put real milk in my coffee again.

#7 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

I would NOT reintroduce dairy, because I was diagnosed with casein intolerance (IgA antibody reaction to casein). Since that's an immune reaction, I don't think my body is going to forget that it considers casein protein foreign bodies. So my body won't ever forget to create antibodies in response to casein. I've had accidental contamination (consumption) of my diagnosed allergens, months and years after I'd abstained from those. I ALWAYS react as strongly (if not stronger) than I originally reacted with cramping gut pain, bloating, constipation and/or diarrhea. So I'll stick to my safe dairy substitutes for milk, cheese, yogurt, butter and ice cream. Why would I risk unnecessary pain, when I can eat tasty, safe substitutes?

Your post got me thinking because in June 2010 I tested with an IgA reaction to casein of 29 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units). I know I'll always have the intolerance to gluten but since my inquiring mind wanted to know, I called Enterolab just a few moments ago, and was told that it actually IS quite possible to reintroduce dairy after 6 to 12 months, even with my IgA reaction to casein a year ago.

I've been strictly gluten/casein/soy free since my initial tests so it could be time for me to try. Really, all I want is to sprinkle a scant handful of mozzarella cheese onto a crispy gluten free pizza crust, even just once every couple weeks. I'd honestly be so happy with just that!!!! So I'll give it a try soon and hope for the best.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#8 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

ICE CREAM

I daydreamed that if I went for Ice Cream, it would be HaganDaaz 5 ingredient. I was afraid this tolerance to dairy was too good to be true and wanted to test the waters with what I've read are kind to our tummies.

P.S. I haven't tried the yoghurt yet. I'm scared! I'll try it Wednesday I guess.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#9 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

When I reintroduced dairy ,I chose to start with cheese.When that went well I added yogurt then cottage cheese and milk.I still have not tried ice cream,no real desire for it :o .
I made sure that when I reintroduced dairy than I changed nothing else in my diet until I was sure about dairy.

I love the fact that I can currently tolerate dairy :D

Yay! I used to LOVE cottage cheese. You were smart not to add anything else to your diet. I added chick peas on Sunday evening (no dairy) thinking that my AI system had finally rested. I didn't have a bad reaction, but I'll be avoiding legumes again for awhile.

#10 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

Your post got me thinking because in June 2010 I tested with an IgA reaction to casein of 29 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units). I know I'll always have the intolerance to gluten but since my inquiring mind wanted to know, I called Enterolab just a few moments ago, and was told that it actually IS quite possible to reintroduce dairy after 6 to 12 months, even with my IgA reaction to casein a year ago.

I've been strictly gluten/casein/soy free since my initial tests so it could be time for me to try. Really, all I want is to sprinkle a scant handful of mozzarella cheese onto a crispy gluten free pizza crust, even just once every couple weeks. I'd honestly be so happy with just that!!!! So I'll give it a try soon and hope for the best.

Hey Kaylee,

I hope it works for you!

And I went to a natural food store today, even the organic cream has carageean in it. Oh well for whipped cream, hope you get to enjoy your pizza soon!

#11 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

I was off all cow dairy for a year. I could tolerate goat dairy but I'm not fond of goat yogurt or milk, only cheese. I couldn't quite get used to goat milk in coffee so I was drinking it with a gluten-free brand of rice milk.

When I reintroduced cow dairy, I went straight for CHEESE! I had been eating goat and sheep's milk cheese and some of them were really good, but I missed sharp cheddar so badly. I also finally got to put real milk in my coffee again.

Thanks for responding skylark, I have learned so much from your posts. I've tried every alternative dairy product (rice, almond, goat, lactaid free, coconut milk) and the all made me sick, probably from the soy additives. I'm finally used to drinking my coffee black, I may just stick with that. But I understand how wonderful it is to be able to finally enjoy a good cup of coffee just how you like it.

#12 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hey Kaylee,

I hope it works for you!

And I went to a natural food store today, even the organic cream has carageean in it. Oh well for whipped cream, hope you get to enjoy your pizza soon!

Is carageenan bad for you?

#13 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

I've been really wanting sharp cheeses. Maybe blue cheese, or asiago. I'd also love a cup of good coffee with heavy whipped cream in it. However, coffee is out of the picture, too.

I can usually ditch the cheese cravings by getting some strong, salty, savory flavors going. Avacados with pork drippings, anyone?
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#14 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

Is carageenan bad for you?

I think carageenan is one of those additives that are considered "natural" but some people have problems with, like annatto. I figure if I can't buy fresh carageenan somewhere, it's got to be a processed substance or some sort of extraction from something else. I generally stay away from it but the few times I have ingested something with those types of things in it, I don't seem to react. I also do that rarely, so perhaps I have a tolerance to a degree.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#15 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Carrageenan is a jelly-like polysaccharide made from red seaweed. It upsets some people's stomachs. If you poke around on the Internet a bit, you can find some info that carrageenan might not be the best thing to eat.
http://www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: