Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Headaches And Otc Medication

2 posts in this topic

I know most of you are familiar with those nasty 'gluten headaches' - lately I have found that I sometimes get them even when I am sure I haven't eaten any gluten at all.

This mystery was cleared up after another round of Enterolab and finding out that I am dairy/soy/egg sensitive as well. Even so during a recent bout of flu I took extra strength tylenol, as usual, and kept getting really bad headaches, even after the flu cleared up.

My mother suggested I try taking some type of acid inhibitor as she felt the tylenol was causing acid reflux type problems. Lo and behold, I took some pepto and 10 or 15 minutes later the headache cleared right up. I've tried this since when I've felt a 'gluten headache' coming on and it has worked every time (about 3 so far). Just thought I would share that in case it works for anyone else. Those headaches are enough to drive anyone crazy.

Ads by Google:

I took some pepto and 10 or 15 minutes later the headache cleared right up. I've tried this since when I've felt a 'gluten headache' coming on and it has worked every time (about 3 so far). Just thought I would share that in case it works for anyone else. Those headaches are enough to drive anyone crazy.

Interesting. Have you ever tried just straight aspirin? Pepto-bismal has salicylic acid (what's in willow bark, and what aspirin was based on when it was created) along with the gut easing ingredients. I wonder if it might help enhance the effects, or if it might do more for headaches than the Bismuth subsalicylate.