This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help! *** Warning Nasty Poop Pictures***

Britmum30

Britmum30 Newbie

Hello all..I'm new to this board and really need some help!!!

My youngest son is 4 years and 7 months old..he has mild autism and some serious poop issues. We can't seem to get a doctor to take us seriously so on a whim tonight I pulled out my camera and took some poop pictures to show the doctor...I'm also hoping that you guys may know what this is???

Some background...Nate's poop frequently looks like this...sometimes it's more solid than this but it's usually the consistency of peanut butter and usually light in color. I don't know if his tummy hurts, he most likely wouldn't tell us if it did. He was born in the 60th percentile for weight but is now less than the 5th percentile....he weighs 32lbs. He doesn't eat much...he's a very fussy eater...he doesn't drink a huge amount of juice mosly water. We cut all dairy and soy out of his diet almost a month ago but it hasn't helped. It smells nasty and sour and will often give him a diaper rash...he isn't potty trained.

summer2011174.webp

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/Britmum29/summer2011177.webp

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/Britmum29/summer2011176.webp

Please help!!!

Louise

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

He should be reffered to a ped. gastro. from the pictures alone.

The doctor should realize the force of the bm is so strong is blows up the child's back when it hits the diaper.

You can not stop giving him gluten until the testing is done!

mommyto2kids Collaborator

Our ds had ear infections alot. The med did that. He also had the roto virus a lot, a lot. Give him lots of yogurt and asidopholus, and break pill open and stur it into juice. Feed him firming food if you can. Try different formulas, don't mix formulas. We were there for a long time. Pampers and a size larger helped us. Hope is passes and they can figure out how to help him.

Britmum30 Newbie

Do you think this looks like celiacs poop??

Mommyto2kids...when you say formula do you mean infant formula? He's 4 years old. He never has really had any eat infections but when he was 2 he had severe bacterial pneumonia and they pumped him full of antibiotics...that was almost 3 years ago though.

I appreciate you all looking and apologies for the picture being so big!

Louise

alex11602 Collaborator

My youngest had poop like that 5-9 times a day until we cut out gluten and soy from her diet and if she has contact with either it will be like that for at least a week. I really hope that you are able to get to the bottom of what is causing this for your son and I would say that if the dr won't test him for Celiac that you try the diet for him, our dr diagnosed my youngest by symptoms and relief from them on the diet since she was so sick and my oldest after she had relief from non GI symptoms on the gluten free diet and while I think a dr diagnosis has its benefits, the health of our children is more important. Good luck to you.

suziq0805 Enthusiast

Did he have these poop issues before antibiotics? Just curious because my son was on so many antibiotics due to ear infections and ended up having something called c.diff. You can get that after being on antibiotics because the antibiotics can kill off the good bacteria in your body and the bad bacteria take over is my understanding of it. After a couple rounds of medicine my son's issues have cleared up.

domesticactivist Collaborator

Poor kid! I agree testing ASAP is a good idea.

I also highly recommend the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. She has a lot to say about diet and Autism. Our family has greatly benefited from the diet, though our problems are different. I have links if you search on GAPS Resources from the blog linked from my profile.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

My daughter was diagnosed as probable Celiac when she was 17 months. She is 8 years old now. From my memory that looks like some of her "Celiac" poop. Some had undigested food, mucus blobs, really it was just nasty, nasty stuff. Seemed like her but just got raw from mere seconds of contact with it.

salexander421 Enthusiast

Neither of my girls are diagnosed celiac but they both had a positive genetic test and MAJOR improvements on a gluten free diet, we also are pretty sure our youngest has DH which would confirm a celiac diagnosis but she has not had any testing. This kind of poop looks very familiar. My girl's was often very light colored, grainy (like it had sand in it), extremely smelly, and really hard to wipe off their bottoms. Also there was often globs of mucous in it (looked like someone just blew their snot in it). This all cleared on the gluten free diet. I would definitely have him tested for celiac then, when all the testing is done, try him on a gluten free diet and see what happens. Even if he does not have celiac disease he could still possibly benefit from a gluten free diet so it would be worth a try either way. Hope you get the answers you're looking for!

AMom2010 Explorer

This is what my daughter's poop looks like much of the time, she is 15 mos old and has been having chronic diarrhea for the last 2 months. When it isn't this color, it is dark brown, but is the same consistency. We have had her on lactaid milk since Saturday and her poop was starting to look more normal, but as of this morning we are back to the nasty diarrhea I am sad to say. We go back to the GI Dr. on 9/12 and Dr. said she'd want to scope her if things haven't improved (DD had negative bloodwork for Celiac).

Edit: DD has never been on antibiotics...

Britmum30 Newbie

Thanks so much for all the comments. I really doubt the antibiotics caused this...that was almost 3 years ago now and he hasn't had any antibiotics since then. Amom210 good luck at the doctors, I would love to know if you get any answers.

Louise

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm pretty sure that numerous doses of antibiotics for repeated respiratory infections over nine months is what triggered by celiac disease. So, if you feel it started at that time, there's no reason to discount your instinct. I can't tell you about the poop specifically, but if you feel like it's worth trying the diet, I totally support that. Testing first may well be a good idea, but I'd still try the diet after testing.

Archived