6 replies to this topic

#1 Monael

Monael

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

I made the Coconut Layer Cake from the Gluten Free Baking Classics cookbook by Annalise Roberts and I had to come here and tell everyone how amazing it was! So delicious! Just like "regular" cake. I was so pleasantly surprised.

Now I am off to buy the sorghum and millet flours so I can start baking some bread :D

I found the rice, tapioca and potato starch at an asian market nearby. It was so much less expensive than anywhere else. Is there a similar type market that would have the sorghum and millet flours? I just don't have 7 or 8 dollars for a small packet of flour...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

I made the Coconut Layer Cake from the Gluten Free Baking Classics cookbook by Annalise Roberts and I had to come here and tell everyone how amazing it was! So delicious! Just like "regular" cake. I was so pleasantly surprised.

Now I am off to buy the sorghum and millet flours so I can start baking some bread :D

I found the rice, tapioca and potato starch at an asian market nearby. It was so much less expensive than anywhere else. Is there a similar type market that would have the sorghum and millet flours? I just don't have 7 or 8 dollars for a small packet of flour...

The Asian Market here sometimes carries sorghum flour. Haven't seen millet anywhere.

So glad the coconut cake turned out for you.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#3 Krystalcatt

Krystalcatt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:18 AM

Hi;

Don't know where you are but in Ontario, a lot of different flours can be found at Bulk Barn. Also Bob Mills. Millet is usually easy to fine.

Good luck in the baking!

#4 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

I have made this cake countless times and it never fails to impress. Of all the desserts I have made, this is the one that gets requested over and over. If you don't own it already, this recipe alone is worth buying Annalise's book.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

I have Annalise's cookbook but have never tried the Coconut Cake recipe. I wonder if white rice flour could be substituted for the Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour. Anyone tried that?

I have made some bread from her cookbook. I especially like the Multigrain Sandwich Bread, which has seeds in it (sesame, flax and sunflower seeds).
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

I have Annalise's cookbook but have never tried the Coconut Cake recipe. I wonder if white rice flour could be substituted for the Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour. Anyone tried that?

I have made some bread from her cookbook. I especially like the Multigrain Sandwich Bread, which has seeds in it (sesame, flax and sunflower seeds).

I used white rice flour and it was great. In the beginning of her book, she mentions that you can use it but she says that it could affect the taste in some cases. Since I don't know what the coconut cake tastes like with the brown rice flour, I can't compare them but this was terrific.

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

I used white rice flour and it was great. In the beginning of her book, she mentions that you can use it but she says that it could affect the taste in some cases. Since I don't know what the coconut cake tastes like with the brown rice flour, I can't compare them but this was terrific.

Glad to hear white rice flour works well! I think I do remember reading that in her book.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: