This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol

Mahee34

killernj13 Enthusiast

To all:

I guess it's a personal choice if you agree with the "distilled liquors do not have gluten in them" theory.

Here is Bailey's response on their web site:

Q. I am allergic to Gluten/Egg/Lactose/Nuts does Baileys contain Gluten/Egg/Lactose/Nuts?

A. Gluten: Please be advised that the whiskey used in Baileys is manufactured by fermenting grain which contains Gluten. Due to the presence of gluten in the whiskey components before distillation we cannot absolutely guarantee that there are no effects to coeliacs. As we are not qualified to give medical advice persons requiring a gluten free diet must consult their medical adviser before consuming Baileys.

Egg/Egg Products:

None of the ingredients used in Baileys use egg or egg products in their manufacture. On the basis of this and to the best of our knowledge there are no traces of egg in Baileys. As we are not qualified to give medical advice persons with requiring an egg free diet must consult their medical adviser before consuming Baileys.

Lactose:

Baileys contains about 50% cream and trace amounts (<0,5%) of Lactose, which is a constituent of milk. If the allergy is specifically to Lactose and not due to any other milk constituent then it may be possible for the consumer to consume Baileys. Please note that we are not qualified to give medical advice therefore you should consult with your medical adviser before consuming Baileys.

Nuts:

The emulsifier in Baileys contains refined vegetable oil. This constitutes 0.35% of the weight of the final product. This vegetable oil may be of nut or nut origin whose ingredients are mixtures of glycerol mono or diesters with minor triesters

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AN616 Rookie

Does anyone happen to know if the flavored absolut vodkas are gluten free? On there website it has wheat listed as one of the ingredients so I have been staying away but after what Richard said above I am beginning to think it is ok to drink. Any ideas?

skoki-mom Explorer

Anyone know if a Bellini is ok?? YUMMY! It has peach schnaps in it, champagne, rum and I think champagne. It's like a big orange electric slurpee!! I have some Smirnoff Vodka coolers in my fridge and I plan to drink them one of these days, the lable looks ok, they are just the original flavour (lemon).

kbtoyssni Contributor

I've read that many celiacs cannot tolerate alcohols that are made with distilled gluten grains. Even though the gluten should disappear through the distillation, it seems like some companies add some of the gluten back in after distillation to add flavor. Not sure how true this is, I'm pretty new to this whole celiac disease thing...

skoki-mom Explorer

It has peach schnaps in it, champagne, rum and I think champagne.

OK, I just sounded like I have been drinking too much champagne :P

grungle Newbie

Obrien premium lager has just been released in australia, however at $35 a six pack at my local, that is a bit rich. I have downed some heinekkens on occasions(supposedly low gluten) with little effect. I was just reading an article that all lagers are low gluten because of the brewing process. Anyone know if there is any truth to this.

lovegrov Collaborator
I've read that many celiacs cannot tolerate alcohols that are made with distilled gluten grains.  Even though the gluten should disappear through the distillation, it seems like some companies add some of the gluten back in after distillation to add flavor.  Not sure how true this is, I'm pretty new to this whole celiac disease thing...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's always a chance some company could add gluten after distilling. I haven't found a liquor yet where that's been done, though.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

To all:

I guess it's a personal choice if you agree with the "distilled liquors do not have gluten in them" theory."

It's not just a theory. Even the ADA and the major celiac organizations agree that distilling renders wheat, rye and barely harmless.

richard

killernj13 Enthusiast

Rich,

Thanks for the info.

I have been following that theory by drinking regular vodka. But I do have some fellow celiacs telling me I should only drink potato vodka. They have not accepted the truth about the distilling process.

swittenauer Enthusiast

I buy my husband the B & J wine based coolers. Here in KY, you can only get malt based in the grocery stores since you can't buy wine in grocery stores. We have to go to an actual liquor store. They have 5 or 6 flavors I think. He really likes them.

killernj13 Enthusiast
Anyone know if a Bellini is ok??  YUMMY!  It has peach schnaps in it, champagne, rum and I think champagne.  It's like a big orange electric slurpee!!  I have some Smirnoff Vodka coolers in my fridge and I plan to drink them one of these days, the lable looks ok, they are just the original flavour (lemon).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Skoki Mom,

Those Bellini's are from Macaroni Grill - right? They are good. The alcohol part of the drink sounds gluten-free but maybe you should check with the company to see if any of the flavorings contain gluten.

Also, most of those Smirnoff coolers are malt based which are not gluten-free. Unless you are in Canada. Just double check them before you drink them.

skoki-mom Explorer
Skoki Mom,

Those Bellini's are from Macaroni Grill - right?  They are good.  The alcohol part of the drink sounds gluten-free but maybe you should check with the company to see if any of the flavorings contain gluten.

Also, most of those Smirnoff coolers are malt based which are not gluten-free.  Unless you are in Canada. Just double check them before you drink them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best Bellini's come from Milestone's, but I don't go to the one here since it is at the airport. Earl's makes a killer Bellini but I will have to ask them first exactly what is in it. We don't have a Macaroni Grill here.

Yes, I do live in Canada. The Smirnoff label reads "Carbonated water, Smirnoff vodka, sugar, natural and artificial flavours, salt, citric acid, malic acid, tartaric acid, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate".

Not sure how I would make it through hockey season without my cooler!

killernj13 Enthusiast
The best Bellini's come from Milestone's, but I don't go to the one here since it is at the airport.  Earl's makes a killer Bellini but I will have to ask them first exactly what is in it.  We don't have a Macaroni Grill here.

Yes, I do live in Canada.  The Smirnoff label reads "Carbonated water, Smirnoff vodka, sugar, natural and artificial flavours, salt, citric acid, malic acid, tartaric acid, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate".

Not sure how I would make it through hockey season without my cooler!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the Bellini was a house drink at the Macaroni Grill. Its a national chain that serves Italian food. Much better that Olive Garden if you have those in Canada. Obviously, I don't eat there since I was diagonsed with celiac disease.

Hockey??? What's that?? Only kidding - I'm a Ranger fan and there isn't much to root for with them for like the last 8 years.

skoki-mom Explorer
I thought the Bellini was a house drink at the Macaroni Grill.  Its a national chain that serves Italian food.  Much better that Olive Garden if you have those in Canada. Obviously, I don't eat there since I was diagonsed with celiac disease.

Hockey???  What's that??  Only kidding - I'm a Ranger fan and there isn't much to root for with them for like the last 8 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a few Macaroni Grills in Canada I think, I know I ate at the one in Vancouver years ago, guess I won't be going there anymore :blink: Oh well, I'd rather have a steak and baked potato anyhow! LOL! Bellinis are awesome, I sure hope I can find out if they are gluten-free!

I am very happy hockey is back, I have a crush on Miikka Kiprusoff, lol.

dcoonfield Newbie
Hey everyone, I've been searching high and low to try to find different liqueurs that are gluten free....i recently found that Chamboard is, which I definately recommend, but what about Dekuyper, triple sec, schnapps.....You can only drink rum, tequila and wine for so long...any help??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have discovered potato vodka. monopolowa is made in austria. it is very good ,and not to expensive

Archived