13 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Jasleen Kaur

Dr. Jasleen Kaur

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

My daughter(Age 15 years) has been gluten free for last 6 years. I've been giving her tomato ketchup (Nestle ONLY)because her dietitian said it was fine. But recently someone told me that they are not gluten free and it got me worried.
I guess Nestle is only an Indian company but do any of you have an idea if tomato ketchups in general are gluten-free?

Help!
Jasleen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Not all are and I don't know about that particular brand. I do know Heinz is safe. I am very sensitive to even small amounts of gluten and do fine with that.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

My daughter(Age 15 years) has been gluten free for last 6 years. I've been giving her tomato ketchup (Nestle ONLY)because her dietitian said it was fine. But recently someone told me that they are not gluten free and it got me worried.
I guess Nestle is only an Indian company but do any of you have an idea if tomato ketchups in general are gluten-free?

Help!
Jasleen

Where are you located? I don't think I've ever seen Nestle ketchup here in the U.S. Ingredients differ in various countries.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

Nestlé is the world's largest food company, headquartered in Vevey, Switzerland. The products offered vary widely by market.

In North America, most ketchup is gluten-free. I can't offhand think of one that isn't. But things could be different in Asia.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

Agree with Peter. In the U.S. ketchup is pretty much gluten-free, but foods have different ingredients in other countries. Canadian worcestershire sauce has gluten; it doesn't in the U.S.

richard

#6 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

In general it's usually gluten-free but FULL of corn syrup. We make our own. I'd call the number listed on the bottle and ask my questions rather than guessing!
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#7 outlook

outlook

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

hi all--

just joined.

also just found out about DISTILLED VINEGAR, which is a major component in catsup, mustard, salad dressings, relish, and on and on, is a distilled GRAIN and therefore on the NO-GO list. have i been misinformed??

from what i read balsamic, apple cider, rice wine vinegars are ok. it's the distilled that you have to watch out for.

#8 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

hi all--

just joined.

also just found out about DISTILLED VINEGAR, which is a major component in catsup, mustard, salad dressings, relish, and on and on, is a distilled GRAIN and therefore on the NO-GO list. have i been misinformed??

from what i read balsamic, apple cider, rice wine vinegars are ok. it's the distilled that you have to watch out for.

In the US most distilled vinegars are made from corn so it's not problem unless you also happen to be corn sensitive. The one you need to stay away from is Malt vinegar (from Barley).
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#9 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

hi all--

just joined.

Distilled is a good thing in this situation. Like domesticactivist I have always made my own ketchups, mustards, etc. - from papaya to smoky chipotle to blueberry...lots of yummy combinations. Always an option if you want something a bit different! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

In general it's usually gluten-free but FULL of corn syrup. We make our own. I'd call the number listed on the bottle and ask my questions rather than guessing!

Just for reference for anyone who can't have or doesn't want corn syrup in the US, Heinz makes the simply Heinz which does not contain corn syrup. I know there are other brands also, like I think Hunts, but I will only use Heinz so that was a really good find for me.

#11 outlook

outlook

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

In the US most distilled vinegars are made from corn so it's not problem unless you also happen to be corn sensitive. The one you need to stay away from is Malt vinegar (from Barley).

i sure hope you're right.
distilled vinegar is in EVERYTHING. are there any prominent exceptions?

thanks.

#12 outlook

outlook

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

Distilled is a good thing in this situation. Like domesticactivist I have always made my own ketchups, mustards, etc. - from papaya to smoky chipotle to blueberry...lots of yummy combinations. Always an option if you want something a bit different! :)

i didn't imagine that it was the process--as opposed to the ingredients being used to make vinegar.

after i heard it was made from grain, even if it were miniscule amounts, i thought it would be something to stay away from.

#13 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

i didn't imagine that it was the process--as opposed to the ingredients being used to make vinegar.

after i heard it was made from grain, even if it were miniscule amounts, i thought it would be something to stay away from.

I've mentioned this before but will mention it again. Last month I found a distilled rice wine vinegar in an ethnic food store that had "WHEAT" on the bottle!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

Distilled vinegar is gluten-free, regardless of what the original source was. In the US, if the source was wheat, then that would have to be explicitly declared on the label. The distillation process purifies the end product in a way that the large, heavy gluten molecule can not pass through.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: