This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Tomato Ketchup Gluten Free?!

Dr. Jasleen Kaur

Dr. Jasleen Kaur Newbie

My daughter(Age 15 years) has been gluten free for last 6 years. I've been giving her tomato ketchup (Nestle ONLY)because her dietitian said it was fine. But recently someone told me that they are not gluten free and it got me worried.

I guess Nestle is only an Indian company but do any of you have an idea if tomato ketchups in general are gluten-free?

Help!

Jasleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Not all are and I don't know about that particular brand. I do know Heinz is safe. I am very sensitive to even small amounts of gluten and do fine with that.

sa1937 Community Regular

My daughter(Age 15 years) has been gluten free for last 6 years. I've been giving her tomato ketchup (Nestle ONLY)because her dietitian said it was fine. But recently someone told me that they are not gluten free and it got me worried.

I guess Nestle is only an Indian company but do any of you have an idea if tomato ketchups in general are gluten-free?

Help!

Jasleen

Where are you located? I don't think I've ever seen Nestle ketchup here in the U.S. Ingredients differ in various countries.

psawyer Proficient

Nestl

lovegrov Collaborator

Agree with Peter. In the U.S. ketchup is pretty much gluten-free, but foods have different ingredients in other countries. Canadian worcestershire sauce has gluten; it doesn't in the U.S.

richard

domesticactivist Collaborator

In general it's usually gluten-free but FULL of corn syrup. We make our own. I'd call the number listed on the bottle and ask my questions rather than guessing!

• 5 weeks later...
outlook Newbie

hi all--

just joined.

also just found out about DISTILLED VINEGAR, which is a major component in catsup, mustard, salad dressings, relish, and on and on, is a distilled GRAIN and therefore on the NO-GO list. have i been misinformed??

from what i read balsamic, apple cider, rice wine vinegars are ok. it's the distilled that you have to watch out for.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

hi all--

just joined.

also just found out about DISTILLED VINEGAR, which is a major component in catsup, mustard, salad dressings, relish, and on and on, is a distilled GRAIN and therefore on the NO-GO list. have i been misinformed??

from what i read balsamic, apple cider, rice wine vinegars are ok. it's the distilled that you have to watch out for.

In the US most distilled vinegars are made from corn so it's not problem unless you also happen to be corn sensitive. The one you need to stay away from is Malt vinegar (from Barley).

love2travel Mentor

hi all--

just joined.

Distilled is a good thing in this situation. Like domesticactivist I have always made my own ketchups, mustards, etc. - from papaya to smoky chipotle to blueberry...lots of yummy combinations. Always an option if you want something a bit different! :)

alex11602 Collaborator

In general it's usually gluten-free but FULL of corn syrup. We make our own. I'd call the number listed on the bottle and ask my questions rather than guessing!

Just for reference for anyone who can't have or doesn't want corn syrup in the US, Heinz makes the simply Heinz which does not contain corn syrup. I know there are other brands also, like I think Hunts, but I will only use Heinz so that was a really good find for me.

outlook Newbie

In the US most distilled vinegars are made from corn so it's not problem unless you also happen to be corn sensitive. The one you need to stay away from is Malt vinegar (from Barley).

i sure hope you're right.

distilled vinegar is in EVERYTHING. are there any prominent exceptions?

thanks.

outlook Newbie

Distilled is a good thing in this situation. Like domesticactivist I have always made my own ketchups, mustards, etc. - from papaya to smoky chipotle to blueberry...lots of yummy combinations. Always an option if you want something a bit different! :)

i didn't imagine that it was the process--as opposed to the ingredients being used to make vinegar.

after i heard it was made from grain, even if it were miniscule amounts, i thought it would be something to stay away from.

love2travel Mentor

i didn't imagine that it was the process--as opposed to the ingredients being used to make vinegar.

after i heard it was made from grain, even if it were miniscule amounts, i thought it would be something to stay away from.

I've mentioned this before but will mention it again. Last month I found a distilled rice wine vinegar in an ethnic food store that had "WHEAT" on the bottle!!

psawyer Proficient

Distilled vinegar is gluten-free, regardless of what the original source was. In the US, if the source was wheat, then that would have to be explicitly declared on the label. The distillation process purifies the end product in a way that the large, heavy gluten molecule can not pass through.

• 5 years later...
aus1708 Rookie
On 2011-8-2 at 10:04 PM, Dr. Jasleen Kaur said:

Help!

Jasleen

Hi Jasleen, 

Just for your information nestle tomato sauce is not gluten free. 

kareng Grand Master
8 minutes ago, aus1708 said:

Hi Jasleen, 

Just for your information nestle tomato sauce is not gluten free. 

In which country?  And she was asking about ketchup in India

back in 2011

aus1708 Rookie

It was about india. Nestle ketch up in india is not gluten free. I call the company customer care and confirmed with them

Archived