This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Steel Cut Oats Replacement?

kathleenp

kathleenp Apprentice

I just discovered steel cut oats but am going to go back to gluten-free. What grain would be a good replacement for it? I am cooking 1/2 cup oats with 2 cups almond milk and spices in the crockpot overnight and it is really good. Does anyone have any recipes like this but with another grain?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

How about Quinoa.

kathleenp Apprentice

What does it taste like? Would it work well with sweetner and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg? What would the ratio of dry to liquid be?

Skylark Collaborator

I just discovered steel cut oats but am going to go back to gluten-free. What grain would be a good replacement for it? I am cooking 1/2 cup oats with 2 cups almond milk and spices in the crockpot overnight and it is really good. Does anyone have any recipes like this but with another grain?

How about gluten-free steel cut oats? Bob's Red Mill makes them.

By the way, that sounds really good. What spices are you using?

Coleslawcat Contributor

How about gluten-free steel cut oats? Bob's Red Mill makes them.

By the way, that sounds really good. What spices are you using?

I was going to suggest the Bob's Red Mill gluten free steel cut oats as well. Have you tried gluten free oats to see how you handle them? I use the Bob's Red Mill gluten free oats all the time.

kathleenp Apprentice

I haven't tried the gluten-free oats. I was just assuming they were off limits. Skylark, I made some with cinnamon and nutmeg and chopped up a fresh peach in it. It tasted like peach pie. I have seen recipes using cardamom, but I don't have any. Add sweetner after it's done and it cooks 7-9 hours on low heat, using a small crockpot. Here's a link to lots of interesting recipes, many of which are gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

Coleslawcat Contributor

I haven't tried the gluten-free oats. I was just assuming they were off limits. Skylark, I made some with cinnamon and nutmeg and chopped up a fresh peach in it. It tasted like peach pie. I have seen recipes using cardamom, but I don't have any. Add sweetner after it's done and it cooks 7-9 hours on low heat, using a small crockpot. Here's a link to lots of interesting recipes, many of which are gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

Only about 10% of celiacs react to the gluten free oats, so after you've had a few months gluten free to heal you should try them to see how you do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kitgordon Explorer

I eat the Bob's Red Mill gluten free steel cut oats with no problem. I think buckwheat groats might work, too.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I found gluten free Bob's red mill rolled oats, i've yet to try them, but hopefully they are good.

sa1937 Community Regular

I found gluten free Bob's red mill rolled oats, i've yet to try them, but hopefully they are good.

I like them!

shadowicewolf Proficient

those rolled oats are really good -finally tried them-

kathleenp Apprentice

Do you all think the gluten-free steel cut oats would be okay to eat at the begining of the diet?

love2travel Mentor

Do you all think the gluten-free steel cut oats would be okay to eat at the begining of the diet?

I have mixed feelings on this. I was eating gluten-free steel cut oats until my dietitian said I should not for two years post celiac diagnosis. She and I both attended a lecture by a leading celiac expert in Canada who said it is proven that the gut in those with celiac need at least two years to heal before introducing oats. I love oats... but am waiting 1.5 years longer to be sure. :(

Skylark Collaborator

I have mixed feelings on this. I was eating gluten-free steel cut oats until my dietitian said I should not for two years post celiac diagnosis. She and I both attended a lecture by a leading celiac expert in Canada who said it is proven that the gut in those with celiac need at least two years to heal before introducing oats. I love oats... but am waiting 1.5 years longer to be sure. :(

What? Either you misunderstood or this "expert" is not expert.

What's in the medical literature is a recommendation that newly diagnosed celiacs avoid oats until their bloodwork is back to normal. This is so that you can reintroduce oats and be tested six months later to be sure you're not making antibodies again from the oats. This is very conservative and it hasn't been "proven" that all celiacs need to wait, nor is there any specific time period in which oats are a problem.

love2travel Mentor

What? Either you misunderstood or this "expert" is not expert.

What's in the medical literature is a recommendation that newly diagnosed celiacs avoid oats until their bloodwork is back to normal. This is so that you can reintroduce oats and be tested six months later to be sure you're not making antibodies again from the oats. This is very conservative and it hasn't been "proven" that all celiacs need to wait, nor is there any specific time period in which oats are a problem.

The gastroenterologist said it is a fairly recent discovery and it actually not related to gluten but strictly due to healing of the gut. She has been tracking celiacs who eat/do not eat gluten-free oats and has found far more rapid healing in those who do not. She is known to be one of the biggest celiac advocates around and was one of those involved in recent studies about the low percentage rates of correct biopsies (39%) done in Canada. I have been hearing about this two-year thing more and more lately. (If I find this info online I will post as I like to back things up and do not intend to mislead anyone.)

Skylark Collaborator

But what does that have to do with antibodies to the oats? I don't get it? I'll be really curious to read what you turn up. It is VERY clear that some celiacs have a gluten reaction to oats though.

love2travel Mentor

But what does that have to do with antibodies to the oats? I don't get it? I'll be really curious to read what you turn up. It is VERY clear that some celiacs have a gluten reaction to oats though.

I am out of town at the moment but will look into it in greater detail upon my return. If my handout does not clarify I will speak to my dietitian about it and get her sources as well as I know she deeply believes the same thing. :)

Archived