30 replies to this topic

#1 zus888

zus888

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:42 AM

Am I the only one that hasn't had any luck with this flour? I've made pie crust, Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, and Hershey's chocolate cake. All were subpar.
Suzanna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

I haven't seen Better Batter Flour around here so haven't tried it.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

I haven't tried any of the retail mixes except for Pamela's about 6 yrs. ago, hated it, never tried another one.

I am THINKING about trying King Arthur's, though, as Kroger now carries it.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

I've never seen it before. Does it have xanthan gum in it already? If not that might be part of the problem. If you still have lots of the flour to use up, why don't you try making a recipe from their website instead of just subbing it in a wheat-flour based recipe? You're more likely to have good results using a recipe that was written for the flour you're using.

http://betterbatter....ecipe-archive-2
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

I tried it once using one of their recipes. For either bread or rolls - don't remember. It just didn't work out.

I've had good luck with King Arthur Flour's products. You can buy them online from King Arthur and some local stores carry their gluten-free stuff.

BTW, if you're going to bake, I highly recommend using a stand mixer. It makes the job SOOOOOO much easier. I use mine 3 - 5 times a week. (My kids hate store-bought gluten-free bread.)
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#6 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

I use it all the time and everything turns out beautifully. I've done cakes, cookies and pizza crust so far. I love that stuff!

It already has the xanthan gum mixed in as well as pectin to help with binding.

#7 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

I use it all the time now and I have never had a major problem with it. I did find that if I am subbing it cup for cup in a recipe that calls for wheat flour that I have to add a bit more liquid. It was 1/3 c extra for bread that I made, but only 2 tbs when I made a pizza crust and I never had to add anything extra for recipes that already call for gluten free flour.

#8 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

I haven't tried any of the retail mixes except for Pamela's about 6 yrs. ago, hated it, never tried another one.

I am THINKING about trying King Arthur's, though, as Kroger now carries it.

I'm dairy,wheat,soy intolerant so there are some commercial mixes that I cannot use. I have used King Arthur's with great success...I love their chocolate cake mix, and have also made a loaf of bread that rose very high. Yesterday I made chocolate chip cookies and they came out pretty good. I like my cookies a bit "puffy", so next time will add a bit of gluten free flour to the box mix. I bake at different altitudes, and have to substitute Earth Balance for butter. I've also had success with Betty Crocker cake (I make cupcakes) mix and Bisquick. The King Arthur website has recipes, and they also have "do it yourself" mixes and recipes. In the past I have baked everything from scratch, out of necessity, but am now leaning toward commercial mixes. You can order King Arthur from that famous "A" website and get free shipping.

#9 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

I haven't tried that one, but I've been using gluten-free Bisquick. They have a ton of recipes for pizza crust and stuff. My non gluten-free husband loves recipes I use with it!

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#10 sarahbella636

sarahbella636

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

Better Batter is the only flour mix I've ever used (besides recently trying out Pamela's for pancakes) and I haven't been satisfied with the taste. Probably b/c I'm also subbing out dairy and eggs since my non-Celiac daughter is allergic to them. I would love to use Pamela's mix for baking but it contains milk, so it wouldn't work for our whole family. I've had much better results making the Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate cake for my son and myself (the Celiacs in the family) and gluten cupcakes w/o the dairy and eggs for the rest of the family... but I'm not that comfortable baking with gluten. I just bought 2 more boxes when they were running their 30% off sale... but I just wish I liked it more for baking.

On a more positive note, I think the company has great customer service and the flour is great for gravies and cooking.

#11 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Yes, the customer service is awesome there. When I make Tollhouse cookies, I had to add a LOT more flour for the cookie to have any substance. Otherwise, the cookies were thinner than cracker-thin. Probably closer to a potato chip. Adding the extra flour also ended up making the cookies pretty darn hard the next day.

I am worried about my holiday cookies and had high hopes of finding a great flour to make my staples, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to do that. I've not seen recipes for my staple cookies online, so my only option was to find a good all-purpose gluten-free flour to substitute. And if it can't do a simple chocolate chip cookie, I don't have a lot of hope for any of my other recipes. :(
Suzanna

#12 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Yes, the customer service is awesome there. When I make Tollhouse cookies, I had to add a LOT more flour for the cookie to have any substance. Otherwise, the cookies were thinner than cracker-thin. Probably closer to a potato chip. Adding the extra flour also ended up making the cookies pretty darn hard the next day.

I am worried about my holiday cookies and had high hopes of finding a great flour to make my staples, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to do that. I've not seen recipes for my staple cookies online, so my only option was to find a good all-purpose gluten-free flour to substitute. And if it can't do a simple chocolate chip cookie, I don't have a lot of hope for any of my other recipes. :(

Gluten-free flours respond differently than wheat flours. You can't expect to just substitute cup for cup in most existing recipes. You will either need to play with the amount of liquid or add some other ingredients to make up for the difference in flour. Often the "dough" you get for a gluten-free recipe is nothing like the dough was for a gluten recipe. gluten-free doughs tend to be either more like cake batters or very crumbly. Instead of just substituting flours why don't you try a new recipe that someone else has created that may be close to your favorite. Here's one for gluten-free tolhouse cookies: http://www.food.com/...-mimicry-329214
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#13 EZGlutenFree

EZGlutenFree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

I've never used better batter before but I've read alot of blog posts about it on a blog called "gluten free on a shoestring". The writer seems to swear by better batter if my memory serves me correctly. She even has a note about it at the end of most of her recipes.

I've been using alot of gluten-free Bisquick myself lately. It makes really good banana bread and pancakes. I've even tried the pizza crust recipe and found it to be pretty good but not as chewy as I remember pizza to be.

#14 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:37 AM

Have you tried King Arthur? I haven't either, yet. Just wondered if you had tried it. They have it at Kroger where we live, now.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#15 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

I haven't yet, but it's next on my list to buy once I get through my existing flour.

I'm always AMAZED that people LIKE the gluten-free Bisquick. I tried the biscuits and pancakes and couldn't eat them they were so AWFUL! The pancakes tasted like white rice. There was no flavor, really. Like a watered down flavor. But I've heard so many people RAVE about those pancakes. I'm baffled. But I've also only recently been diagnosed and REMEMBER the awesomeness of the Bisquick Supreme Pancakes. And the biscuits were even WORSE. Tasted like rice and eggs. No amount of apple butter could help those things. I've completely given up on using it for baked goods. I do like the parmesan chicken recipe on the box though!
Suzanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: