Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Better Batter Flour

31 posts in this topic

WHA???? How is it that mine turned out potato chip thin and yours turned out fine??? I followed the recipe to a T (with butter). I ended up having to add at least another 1/2 cup of better batter flour to give the cookies some thickness, like a normal cookie. Then after they cooled, they were hard.

I think this may be where you are goign wrong in your baking experiments--Gluten free batters do NOT look like normal batters. They can look completely different while raw and yet taste good once cooked. You are going to need to relearn everything you know about the texture and look of a batter or dough before it's baked. Maybe you will have better results if you try again without the extra flour and chilling the dough like another suggested. Baking gluten-free is extra hard if you were experienced at baking before going gluten-free. I hope you can figure it out and get something close to the cookies you miss. :)

Ads by Google:

I only added the extra flour because the first batch of cookies were potato chip thin and needed more thickness to be like a cookie. So I just kept adding until the cookies turned out like cookies instead of potato chips with chocolate bumps.

I only added the extra flour because the first batch of cookies were potato chip thin and needed more thickness to be like a cookie. So I just kept adding until the cookies turned out like cookies instead of potato chips with chocolate bumps.

I would avoid the extra flour and just chill the dough first. That makes even gluten cookies thicker. They don't spread as well if you use refrigerated dough immediately.

I almost brought gluten-free Bisquick! Glad I read this post.

I read here somenoe really likes using Sylvan Border Farm, do you like it for baking?

Bisquick pancakes and waffles are meh, but edible. The biscuits are awful. It does make okay dumplings for soup that I like okay. There are two things I swear by it for though, a fruit coffee cake and a coconut pie. Both are absolutely amazing and I can't get enough of either. I keep almost making that chicken but then just grilling instead.