30 replies to this topic

#16 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

I haven't yet, but it's next on my list to buy once I get through my existing flour.

I'm always AMAZED that people LIKE the gluten-free Bisquick. I tried the biscuits and pancakes and couldn't eat them they were so AWFUL! The pancakes tasted like white rice. There was no flavor, really. Like a watered down flavor. But I've heard so many people RAVE about those pancakes. I'm baffled. But I've also only recently been diagnosed and REMEMBER the awesomeness of the Bisquick Supreme Pancakes. And the biscuits were even WORSE. Tasted like rice and eggs. No amount of apple butter could help those things. I've completely given up on using it for baked goods. I do like the parmesan chicken recipe on the box though!

I used the Better Batter again last night for cupcakes and once again no one I served them to even suspected they were gluten free. The Pamela's pancake mix is good. It doesn't taste like traditional pancakes, but they taste good. I don't use pankcake/biscuit mixes. I just use my Better Batter and make my pancakes/waffles from scratch. They come out great. Are you sure you are measuring the flour correctly? Are you spooning and scraping rather than scooping? I'm just trying to figure out why the Better Batter isn't working for you. I use it all the time with great results.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

I definitely spoon and level. I can't get it to work with the Tollhouse cookie recipe. They suggested that I chill the dough before making them, but I'm too eager to wait. Plus, I make cookies more to eat the dough than to eat the cookies. Based on my conversations with customer service, I was told to lower the oven temp by just a few degrees and then cook it longer. I did that with a different brand of flour for the Hershey's cake and it turned out better (and I doubt it's due to the flour).

Oh, and I think someone suggested using Crisco instead of butter, but I just can't eat Crisco-based cookie dough. Something about it makes me cringe at the thought.

Man, I really hope that I can make my Russian teacakes this holiday season. I'm not holding much hope for my rollout cookies.

Pamela's rocks!!! I love the pancakes! The almond meal adds much more of a rich flavor to the pancake. I really love almonds, though. :)
Suzanna

#18 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

I definitely spoon and level. I can't get it to work with the Tollhouse cookie recipe. They suggested that I chill the dough before making them, but I'm too eager to wait. Plus, I make cookies more to eat the dough than to eat the cookies. Based on my conversations with customer service, I was told to lower the oven temp by just a few degrees and then cook it longer. I did that with a different brand of flour for the Hershey's cake and it turned out better (and I doubt it's due to the flour).

Oh, and I think someone suggested using Crisco instead of butter, but I just can't eat Crisco-based cookie dough. Something about it makes me cringe at the thought.

Man, I really hope that I can make my Russian teacakes this holiday season. I'm not holding much hope for my rollout cookies.

Pamela's rocks!!! I love the pancakes! The almond meal adds much more of a rich flavor to the pancake. I really love almonds, though. :)

For cookies I use Roben Ryberg's Gluten Free Cookie Book. It doesn't use blends it uses brown rice flour and sorghum flour (in different recipes) and adjusts the rest of the recipes to compensate. I love some of the recipes in there and was satisfied though not in love with others. None have been bad though. I rarely use the Better Batter for cookies. Brown rice flour is so much cheaper so I just use that cookbook instead.

#19 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:44 AM

I'm one of those who love gluten-free Bisquick, everything that I've made with it has been delicious! Different strokes for different folks I reckon!

I haven't tried Better Batter but have heard people rave about it as well, so I'm going to order some!

#20 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

I haven't tried Better Batter yet but it's on my list. I'll also be ordering a small box of Domata flour to try. My local store has Pamela's so i'll try that eventually as well. The Arrowhead Mills mix i tried last week was pretty awful tastewise. The biscuits were easy and had a pretty good texture and look though so I'll be trying brownies or something more heavily flavored to cover up the weird aftertaste.

#21 sarahbella636

sarahbella636

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:47 AM

Just wanted to update after my last post regarding Better Batter. I made Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies with butter and eggs along with Better Batter last night and I was very pleased with the results. Now to just find a good recipe that is both gluten-free and vegan...

#22 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:36 AM

Just wanted to update after my last post regarding Better Batter. I made Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies with butter and eggs along with Better Batter last night and I was very pleased with the results. Now to just find a good recipe that is both gluten-free and vegan...

SaraBella, hi, an what a lovely handle :) I'm pretty sure you could sub egg replacement for the eggs and coconut oil or light tasting olive oil in place of butter or shortening. I'm just learning to cook vegan, myself, but there are some very smart people on this board who could offer suggestions on how to modify a recipe and make it vegan or post some vegan recipe links.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#23 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

WHA???? How is it that mine turned out potato chip thin and yours turned out fine??? I followed the recipe to a T (with butter). I ended up having to add at least another 1/2 cup of better batter flour to give the cookies some thickness, like a normal cookie. Then after they cooled, they were hard.
Suzanna

#24 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

i like the bisquick :(

#25 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:47 AM

WHA???? How is it that mine turned out potato chip thin and yours turned out fine??? I followed the recipe to a T (with butter). I ended up having to add at least another 1/2 cup of better batter flour to give the cookies some thickness, like a normal cookie. Then after they cooled, they were hard.

Suzanna, did you chill the dough? With gluten-free flour cookies, it is not uncommon to chill before baking I there are any issues with thinness. Also, what was the reason for adding the extra flOur? Better Batter most often requires added liquid for correction, if anything.

#26 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

I think this may be where you are goign wrong in your baking experiments--Gluten free batters do NOT look like normal batters. They can look completely different while raw and yet taste good once cooked. You are going to need to relearn everything you know about the texture and look of a batter or dough before it's baked. Maybe you will have better results if you try again without the extra flour and chilling the dough like another suggested. Baking gluten-free is extra hard if you were experienced at baking before going gluten-free. I hope you can figure it out and get something close to the cookies you miss. :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#27 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

I only added the extra flour because the first batch of cookies were potato chip thin and needed more thickness to be like a cookie. So I just kept adding until the cookies turned out like cookies instead of potato chips with chocolate bumps.
Suzanna

#28 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

I only added the extra flour because the first batch of cookies were potato chip thin and needed more thickness to be like a cookie. So I just kept adding until the cookies turned out like cookies instead of potato chips with chocolate bumps.

I would avoid the extra flour and just chill the dough first. That makes even gluten cookies thicker. They don't spread as well if you use refrigerated dough immediately.

#29 HoosierMother

HoosierMother

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

I almost brought gluten-free Bisquick! Glad I read this post.
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. - Maria Robinson

#30 HoosierMother

HoosierMother

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

I read here somenoe really likes using Sylvan Border Farm, do you like it for baking?
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. - Maria Robinson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: