This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Having A Bad Day...

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

Okay, may I vent please to someone who understands...or isn't already tired of hearing how bad that I feel? So, I feel horrible today, and I'm so frustrated about trying to figure out what is causing me issues! It's too overwhelming! I am cranky and irritable...and sadly just snapped...at my much deserving children:) I started feeling bad again a couple of weeks ago for unknown reasons. I was wondering if I'm getting glutened somewhere. Then I took my son to a birthday party at a bounce place...with pizza and cake...against my better judgement. I didn't touch anything, but you know I have two kids. My hubby washed them up, but I figured I'd probably "get it" anyway. I started feeling worse, but still wondering if it's a compounding gluten effect from something that I'm eating. Then I felt bad all week, but still functioning. Then my son had his birthday party this week at a sprinkler park and playground. We were going to do a "gluten free" party, but there were at least 25 kids that responded and their parents. It would have cost too much to do it gluten free. So we decided to go ahead with gluten full cake and pizza with snacks. I asked my hubby and mother to please help to serve the kids and set up the cake and pizza. Were they paying attention when it was time? Of course not. So with 40 people standing around looking at me, I was forced to cut the cake because my helpers were awol. I started cutting the cake and got it all over my hands, and finally got my hubby to come over and finish. Really...he knows what it does to me. Crikey! Okay, so that was saturday. It is now Wednsday and I feel worse than I have in the past 2 weeks. Why? I am sooooooooooooooo frustrated trying to figure out the source of problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's darn near impossible! Now, I look 7 months pregnant today and feel miserable. I just started having "hot flashes" or flushing pressure in my chest trying to breath. Ugh. Sometimes I think that I can't take it anymore....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I feel so bad for you honey. :(

Sometimes it takes several days to a couple of weeks to get over a glutening. Eat real simple whole foods like apples or bananas, chicken and rice, etc. Stay away from prepared gluten free versions of things.

Rest as much as you can and listen some music that's your favorite..pamper yourself. Do whatever helps you destress. It will pass.

Be sure to check that any sunscreen/toothpaste/shampoo/bath products you use are gluten free too, if you haven't already.

(((hugs)))

cap6 Enthusiast

Okay, may I vent please to someone who understands...or isn't already tired of hearing how bad that I feel? So, I feel horrible today, and I'm so frustrated about trying to figure out what is causing me issues! It's too overwhelming! I am cranky and irritable...and sadly just snapped...at my much deserving children:) I started feeling bad again a couple of weeks ago for unknown reasons. I was wondering if I'm getting glutened somewhere. Then I took my son to a birthday party at a bounce place...with pizza and cake...against my better judgement. I didn't touch anything, but you know I have two kids. My hubby washed them up, but I figured I'd probably "get it" anyway. I started feeling worse, but still wondering if it's a compounding gluten effect from something that I'm eating. Then I felt bad all week, but still functioning. Then my son had his birthday party this week at a sprinkler park and playground. We were going to do a "gluten free" party, but there were at least 25 kids that responded and their parents. It would have cost too much to do it gluten free. So we decided to go ahead with gluten full cake and pizza with snacks. I asked my hubby and mother to please help to serve the kids and set up the cake and pizza. Were they paying attention when it was time? Of course not. So with 40 people standing around looking at me, I was forced to cut the cake because my helpers were awol. I started cutting the cake and got it all over my hands, and finally got my hubby to come over and finish. Really...he knows what it does to me. Crikey! Okay, so that was saturday. It is now Wednsday and I feel worse than I have in the past 2 weeks. Why? I am sooooooooooooooo frustrated trying to figure out the source of problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's darn near impossible! Now, I look 7 months pregnant today and feel miserable. I just started having "hot flashes" or flushing pressure in my chest trying to breath. Ugh. Sometimes I think that I can't take it anymore....

I feel so bad for you. My partner wanted tacos with canned roast beef the other night. Ingredients: wheat. Ugh. I get physically ill at the thought of putting the stuff in a bowl and mixing it up. I don't have small kids any more and can only imagine how hard it must be to deal with all that gluten! Feel better!

padma Newbie

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. That is a clue it IS gluten. Hope you can rest and be in a clean environment for long enough to get balanced out again.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I'm so sorry. I hope that you get over the major glutening soon so that you can figure out the minor glutening. Do you have a short list of for sure safe foods that you can go back to for now?

Next time you have to decide. Is it worth getting very sick to not have people looking at you like "why aren't you giving us cake?" Maybe you could have asked one of the other parents to help. I know, myself, I don't have very good reasoning when glutened so that probably contributed to your getting even more glutened.

You need to give your health a greater priority. You can't properly take care of your son if you are sick. I'm sure he would rather have a healthy mother than a fun birthday party.

I have a technique for figuring out what is getting me. I get as good as I can, then I eat 3 or 4 times the usual amount of whatever I suspect. That seems to be enough for me to notice being much worse or not. Then I can tell if I have to eliminate that thing, or go on to something else. I just figured out something using that method.

I hope you feel better soon.

shayre Enthusiast

Thank you for your kind words. I think that I may have figured out that the olive oil (Villa Flor Organic)I have been using for the past few weeks may be contaminated, but I'm not sure. I called them yesterday, and they told me that there might be cross-contamination in their facility...oops. I just quit the last brand of olive oil that I was using because someone said on here that they reacted...and it was processed on shared equipment as wheat germ oil (Spectrum Organic). So if that is a source of consistent mild contamination, then it has finally compounded up to a level where I can't function...then the birthday parties on top of that. I usually have olive oil up to 3 times per day...cooking eggs, on salad, on chicken or fish. I will just have to wait to see if I get better without it I guess. I think that I'm more stressed, because I can tell that my husband is just tired of me feeling bad. I get little to no response from him when I vocalize how I feel. I feel bad about expressing what I'm going through all of the time, but I just can't seem to stop myself. I'm tired of myself too! Anyway, thank you for letting me get that off of my chest:)

mommida Enthusiast

It is hard with the expense of gluten free food for everyone but I switched because I couldn't risk the crumbs. Now everyone LOVES the gluten free birthday cakes! (People take a slice for their friends to see how good gluten free cake can be.) :D

Live and learn. :rolleyes: Feel better soon! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I wouldn't have guessed the Olive Oil would be cc'd. Good detective work there!

(((hugs)))

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I had trouble with olive oil too. I tried and reacted to several brands of olive oil and other oils until I tried Bariani.

Edited to add: I am crazy sensitive.

T.H. Community Regular

Ah man, so sorry you've been zapped so badly!

Yeah - I reacted to the Spectrum Avocado oil. I was so, so bummed about it. Same thing as you - the cc was low, and slowly, slowly building up, and it took me a while to figure it out. And I had that same moment of contacting the company and finding out it was a cc risk. <_<

I hope you have the same success with dropping the oil as I did. Wish you didn't feel so bad!

Archived