This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice With Gluten?

Stormy

Stormy Rookie

So I'm at a friend's house during a meeting, and Celiac disease is brought up when a couple people noticed I was only eating the fruit salad. One of my friends is sensitive to gluten too, so she helped describe why I could only eat certain things, but then she made an odd statement. I mentioned one thing I eat a lot of is brown rice, and she looked at me funny and said I must not be sensitive to wheat if I'm eating brown rice. I'm really confused by this, because as far as I know rice doesn't have anything to do with wheat and is gluten-free? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!! :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

All the varieties of rice ( white, brown, purple, wild rice, glutinous rice (sweet), etc are gluten free. They have nothing to do with wheat, rye or barley. They are a grain & wharf is a grain - so maybe thats what she's thinking.

Stormy Rookie

That's what I thought, thanks! She gave me a huge scare about that last night though; I'm still having a lot of GI problems and have eliminated dairy out of the equation now too, but I still spend WAY too much time in the bathroom...

kareng Grand Master

Of course, it's possible to have a problem with rice, or bananas or strawberries or any food.

I don't know how long you have been gluten-free, but it can take months to normalize bathroom issues. Even if it's not something you are eating, you have to get the right amount of fiber. Sometimes the good bacteria is out of whack. You could try some probiotics ( google that on the site for some ideas). Or yogurt everyday. Yogurt is something people with dairy issues can sometimes tolerate.

Moral of the story: Other people without this issue, probably do not know more than you.

Janelle Pugh Newbie

Kefir is a great way to restore probiotics even if you think you are lactose intolerant!

mommida Enthusiast

Is she thinking the brown color is from adding soy sauce?

jststric Contributor

I'm not officially Celiac, but have gluten-intolerance, at least. I am also bothered by rice. I have just recently gotten where I can have it in a limited way. I do better with brown rice than white. And wild rice is completetly fine. But I've read wild rice is officially a GRASS and not rice. I'm curious what the other poster meant with the word "wharf". As most of know, Celiac or gluten-intolerant are rarely ONLY bothered by glutens. Multiple food no-no's are usually the case and everyone is different.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Stormy Rookie

Mommida, I'm not sure what she's thinking. It just seemed really odd but since she's intolerant of gluten I thought maybe she knew something I didn't. Maybe she's just intolerant of rice too, and doesn't realize it. jststric, I'm not sure what kareng is talking about either. Maybe she could clarify what wharf is? I couldn't google anything with it, food-wise.

Skylark Collaborator

I think Karen made a typo with "wharf" for "wheat". :P

mommida Enthusiast

If I eat rice from a restaurant I won't touch it unless it is sparkling white, so I know they didn't flavor it with gluten.

kareng Grand Master

I think Karen made a typo with "wharf" for "wheat". :P

No! Really! Those places at the waters edge with boats - wharfs - are made of wheat! :P

My iPad has a mind of its own.

Poppi Enthusiast

She probably just isn't very educated on the origins of her food. My husband is one of those people.

He thought oats came from wheat. I asked him to get some oat groats at the health food store and found him asking a very confused clerk where he could find the whole wheat oats.

bartfull Rising Star

A lot of white rices are dusted with corn starch to keep it from being so sticky. And ENRICHED rice (enriched anything, actually) is enriched with vitamins that have corn as a carrier. Maybe she has a corn issue that she isn't aware of.

jststric Contributor

ah, AUTO-CORRECT, lmbo!!! Gotta love it, dontcha? It sure makes communications interesting once in awhile! : )

Hawthorn Rookie

For probiotics if you have problems with dairy try a live goat yoghurt. I love it and can eat that where cows milk yoghurt makes me feel a bit ill.

Stormy Rookie

That makes a little more sense... wharf.. I tried so hard to make it a food but google really insisted it was just a boat landing. :P Maybe she does have some odd allergy to something in rice itself. As for probiotics, I may just look for it in pill form from one of the natural stores. I'm really afraid to eat anything that might make stuff worse. I got diagnosed mid or late June, had issues for about a month prior to that and still haven't had two normal bowel movements in a row!! Though something is going right; I stopped losing weight, and have had to start upping the exercise again- I regained 5 of the 10lbs I lost before I hit the gluten free diet. <_< (Would have preferred they stayed lost... lol)

Archived