This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Questions

badgerette

badgerette Rookie

I'm back! I just moved across the state and I'm nearly finished with week 6 of being gluten-free, although I suspect I had accidental gluten ingestion a few times during my trial period. But this weekend my partner and I are having a get-together and I really wanted to try eating gluten before then so I wouldn't have to feel icky on the day of.

So about 3 days ago, I made a batch of all-purp flour brownies and I ate one, although I was terrified to do so. No immediate ill effects. I felt good 24 hours later so I ate another two. That night my bladder was really sore for some reason (I have IC) but the next morning I was still feeling pretty good so I tried making whole wheat pancakes. I ate three small pancakes and in about an hour I was feeling awful (exhausted, brain fog). I'm wondering if it's just taken that long for all of it to get through me, or if it's just coincidence.. but at this point it doesn't seem to be coincidence. For the last 2-3 days, my knees have also been aching really badly, and my back muscles have been in some pain, as well as my neck. My IC is slightly flared up. Today I am sleepy, foggy, headache-y, sore, and my intestines aren't all that happy (days alternating w/constipation or needing to go several times a day). The week before this, I felt great all week; I had full control over my diet and was very careful.

After those pancakes yesterday morning, I have stopped with the gluten for now. I figure I will give it one more go once I start feeling better (just to torture myself, I mean, make sure) and then if I feel awful again, I will give the stuff up. Does this sound familiar at all to anyone or does it sound like a coincidence? Here's my first post detailing other experiences with this gluten-free diet.

Thank you so much for your help thus far. Finding these forums has really helped me feel less alone and confused.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

For myself it takes about 3 days for a reaction to gluten to hit my gut but some other stuff like joint and muscle pain hit first (along with the neuro issues I have) so I don't think your experience is unusual.

badgerette Rookie

For myself it takes about 3 days for a reaction to gluten to hit my gut but some other stuff like joint and muscle pain hit first (along with the neuro issues I have) so I don't think your experience is unusual.

Thank you! That's what I've been wondering: how long it takes. It's good to know it takes several days for others.

jcmi10236 Newbie

It could have been the brownies that upset the bladder. Chocolate or caffeine is something to watch with IC.

I'm back! I just moved across the state and I'm nearly finished with week 6 of being gluten-free, although I suspect I had accidental gluten ingestion a few times during my trial period. But this weekend my partner and I are having a get-together and I really wanted to try eating gluten before then so I wouldn't have to feel icky on the day of.

So about 3 days ago, I made a batch of all-purp flour brownies and I ate one, although I was terrified to do so. No immediate ill effects. I felt good 24 hours later so I ate another two. That night my bladder was really sore for some reason (I have IC) but the next morning I was still feeling pretty good so I tried making whole wheat pancakes. I ate three small pancakes and in about an hour I was feeling awful (exhausted, brain fog). I'm wondering if it's just taken that long for all of it to get through me, or if it's just coincidence.. but at this point it doesn't seem to be coincidence. For the last 2-3 days, my knees have also been aching really badly, and my back muscles have been in some pain, as well as my neck. My IC is slightly flared up. Today I am sleepy, foggy, headache-y, sore, and my intestines aren't all that happy (days alternating w/constipation or needing to go several times a day). The week before this, I felt great all week; I had full control over my diet and was very careful.

After those pancakes yesterday morning, I have stopped with the gluten for now. I figure I will give it one more go once I start feeling better (just to torture myself, I mean, make sure) and then if I feel awful again, I will give the stuff up. Does this sound familiar at all to anyone or does it sound like a coincidence? Here's my first post detailing other experiences with this gluten-free diet.

Thank you so much for your help thus far. Finding these forums has really helped me feel less alone and confused.

badgerette Rookie

It could have been the brownies that upset the bladder. Chocolate or caffeine is something to watch with IC.

I'm generally ok with chocolate, but not when I drink hot chocolate. Caffeine is a no-no, so I just try not to eat tons of chocolate at once. Coffee and tea are off the menu of course. I've had IC for over a decade, but I still have to constantly listen to what my body tells me is okay or not.

badgerette Rookie

Uuugh I'm also having heart palpitations and it's really freaking me out. I've never had this before until all this started. It appears to be a side-effect of one of my medications (amitryptaline) but I have been on those meds for years. Ick. Will this go away if I'm "good" and don't eat any gluten? :c

Skylark Collaborator

Uuugh I'm also having heart palpitations and it's really freaking me out. I've never had this before until all this started. It appears to be a side-effect of one of my medications (amitryptaline) but I have been on those meds for years. Ick. Will this go away if I'm "good" and don't eat any gluten? :c

Probably. I know how freaky those heart palpitations feel. I hate them.

It can take a bit of time for autoimmunity to crank up. Gluten activates some immune cells pretty fast, but the whole autoimmune reaction can take as long as a couple days. Unfortunately, it also takes a few days to settle back down.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I take a med with Amitryptilene in it and it doesn't cause me anxiety. Eating gluten does though! :o

It will pass. I know it feels pretty scary. Do some deep, slow breathing. Close one nostril and breathe in, then close the other and breathe out. It helps to regulate your sympathetic system.

Archived