This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Enterolab Results

kaygato

kaygato Explorer

I finally got my results back.

The results of my gene test were:

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic eqivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

My fecal IgA was positive for gluten and eggs.

I'm curious about the gene stuff. Can someone who is smarter than me tell me what it means?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I finally got my results back.

The results of my gene test were:

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic eqivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

My fecal IgA was positive for gluten and eggs.

I'm curious about the gene stuff. Can someone who is smarter than me tell me what it means?

Usually Enterolab results include an interpretation and recommendations. What did Elab say about your results? If you paid money for those tests, you may just as well trust their interpretation and recommendations.

kaygato Explorer

I did read what it means. It said that I have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue. It also said I have a non-celiac gene predisposing to gluten sensitivity.

I guess I was just curious if anyone knew more about the specific genes I have, but it doesn't matter too much.

This might be a stupid question...but why exactly do I feel so bad when my results don't look very serious? My anti-gliadin IgA is 14 units (normal is <10). And my anti-ovalbumin Iga is at 17 units (normal range is less than 10 units). I probably shpuld be glad that it's not serious yet, but it feels really serious to me. My symptoms are primarily mental (I've had brain fog and depressive ADD since as long as I can remember), and around punerty I became nervous, brain fog increased, and I pretty much lost enjoyment of everything. It's made life hard for me for the last 5-7 years.

I guess I was wondering if there is any other testing I should look into? I read somewhere on here that having low total IgA can give the IgA results a false negative. I've just felt off for so long. Should I look into IgG testing for gluten as well? I want a definitive diagnosis if gluten is a problem for me.

cassP Contributor

I did read what it means. It said that I have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue. It also said I have a non-celiac gene predisposing to gluten sensitivity.

I guess I was just curious if anyone knew more about the specific genes I have, but it doesn't matter too much.

u have a DQ8 and a DQ7. (that's their simply subtype name- which i understand better).

the DQ8 is a Celiac-specific gene, doesnt necessarily mean u will have Celiac- but you definitely have a gene for it, so it's possible. (DQ2 is the other "specific" gene).

your DQ7 is a "Gluten sensitive" gene... predisposes u to gluten sensitivity or intolerance. **but keep in mind, this is still just the tip of the iceberg. in Europe they are already diagnosing Celiacs who do not have the DQ2 or DQ8, but the other numbers - perhaps even a DQ7.

thats all i know... it's been a while since i paid attention on here, and understand the fecal tests at Enterolab.

Skylark Collaborator

This might be a stupid question...but why exactly do I feel so bad when my results don't look very serious? My anti-gliadin IgA is 14 units (normal is <10). And my anti-ovalbumin Iga is at 17 units (normal range is less than 10 units). I probably shpuld be glad that it's not serious yet, but it feels really serious to me. My symptoms are primarily mental (I've had brain fog and depressive ADD since as long as I can remember), and around punerty I became nervous, brain fog increased, and I pretty much lost enjoyment of everything. It's made life hard for me for the last 5-7 years.

I guess I was wondering if there is any other testing I should look into? I read somewhere on here that having low total IgA can give the IgA results a false negative. I've just felt off for so long. Should I look into IgG testing for gluten as well? I want a definitive diagnosis if gluten is a problem for me.

Enterolab testing is not particularly reliable. Fine's own data show that the test is not very predictive of how you will feel gluten-free. You have borderline results on a borderline test.

Assuming you've had a celiac panel blood test through your doctor, the definitive test is to go off gluten and see how you feel. The celiac panel should have included total IgA and if you are low, the IgG versions of anti-TTG and probably anti-gliadin. Anti-gliadin is older, but preferable if your problems are primarily neurological/mental. As far as non-celiac gluten intolerance, there is no diagnostic test other than eliminating gluten from your diet and then challenging later. You need to abandon your search for a piece of paper that tells you what to do and simply trust your body and how you feel. There is nothing more definitive than recovering your health off gluten.

You have the DQ8 (DQB1*0302) gene, which is associated with celiac. It does give some reason why you might be gluten intolerant. DQ7 (DQB1*0301) is an interesting one, as you can sometimes have the celiac gene, DQA1*0505 with it. Problem is, Enterolab only tests B subunits and not A and the non-celiac DQA1*0303 is also reasonably common with DQ7. There is no way for you to know without a more detailed genetic analysis. It's not worth wasting money, as the genetic tests are in no way diagnostic; they only asses risk.

kaygato Explorer

Enterolab testing is not particularly reliable. Fine's own data show that the test is not very predictive of how you will feel gluten-free. You have borderline results on a borderline test.

Assuming you've had a celiac panel blood test through your doctor, the definitive test is to go off gluten and see how you feel. The celiac panel should have included total IgA and if you are low, the IgG versions of anti-TTG and probably anti-gliadin. Anti-gliadin is older, but preferable if your problems are primarily neurological/mental. As far as non-celiac gluten intolerance, there is no diagnostic test other than eliminating gluten from your diet and then challenging later. You need to abandon your search for a piece of paper that tells you what to do and simply trust your body and how you feel. There is nothing more definitive than recovering your health off gluten.

You have the DQ8 (DQB1*0302) gene, which is associated with celiac. It does give some reason why you might be gluten intolerant. DQ7 (DQB1*0301) is an interesting one, as you can sometimes have the celiac gene, DQA1*0505 with it. Problem is, Enterolab only tests B subunits and not A and the non-celiac DQA1*0303 is also reasonably common with DQ7. There is no way for you to know without a more detailed genetic analysis. It's not worth wasting money, as the genetic tests are in no way diagnostic; they only asses risk.

We have a lot in common. I'm also taking the EmpowerPlus supplement. Although it's expensive, I'll probably only try one bottle. I also have hashimoto's but my Frees are still in the normal range. I'm curious if I have thyroglobulin antibodies as well, since I have a great aunt who had graves and got a thyroidectomy in her 50's. I know I should just bit the bullet and try gluten-free. I'm planning on doing it in the near future. I never had the Celiac panel done. I'm hoping my doctor could order it.

Skylark Collaborator

We have a lot in common. I'm also taking the EmpowerPlus supplement. Although it's expensive, I'll probably only try one bottle. I also have hashimoto's but my Frees are still in the normal range. I'm curious if I have thyroglobulin antibodies as well, since I have a great aunt who had graves and got a thyroidectomy in her 50's. I know I should just bit the bullet and try gluten-free. I'm planning on doing it in the near future. I never had the Celiac panel done. I'm hoping my doctor could order it.

Your doctor can order it. Don't go gluten-free until you've had the bloodwork. I'd be surprised if it comes up positive with the low Enterolab results though. Just remember that you can be very sick from gluten without much in the way of antibodies. In some people it has a natural inflammatory action that causes a lot of havoc.

I'm sorry to say, but most people can't evaluate EMPowerPlus with one bottle. If you're trying to treat bipolar, you need to be on the loading dose (15/day) for three months to really get an idea of whether EMPowerPlus works for you. You also may go through a time of feeling worse before you feel better. TrueHope will explain all this if you talk to someone at the call center, and they carry the probiotics, free aminos, phosphatidyl serine, and mild yeast treatments that help you get through the rough spots. I started on it in mid-June, and all hell broke loose in July with detox and yeast. I started to improve overall in August, and I finally felt really good with normal mood in September. I understand the cost issues, but you just can't get an idea in two weeks, especially if you are taking it below the loading dose.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

What research tells you that? I didn't think there was any research that predicts how you will feel after gluten free. "How you feel" is very subjective. Changes in intestinal villae and presence of gluten antibodies and/or Ttg antibodies are measureable. "How you feel" (except by psychological battery) isn't measurable.

Skylark Collaborator

What research tells you that? I didn't think there was any research that predicts how you will feel after gluten free. "How you feel" is very subjective. Changes in intestinal villae and presence of gluten antibodies and/or Ttg antibodies are measureable. "How you feel" (except by psychological battery) isn't measurable.

It's right on his website. Perhaps you should take a look?

burdee Enthusiast

It's right on his website.

Now I'm confused ... I agree that Elab's stool test doesn't predict how you feel after going gluten free. However, I don't believe ANY test (blood test, endoscopy, etc.) can predict how you will feel after abstaining from gluten. "How you feel" is subjective. Also, people (like me) may have other allergies (or intolerances) or even gastrointestinal infections from bacteria, parasites and/or candida, which can affect how they feel. I went through many tests and treatments before my IBS symptoms completely resolved. Gluten free was just the first step for me. Nevertheless, Elab tests show the presence of gluten and Ttg antibodies, which is similar to standard blood tests, which show antibodies. For many people, who don't want to return to eating gluten just so they can damage their intestines enough to let gluten antibodies leak into their blood stream, Elab stool tests are a viable, noninvasive alternative.

Skylark Collaborator

Now I'm confused ... I agree that Elab's stool test doesn't predict how you feel after going gluten free. However, I don't believe ANY test (blood test, endoscopy, etc.) can predict how you will feel after abstaining from gluten. "How you feel" is subjective. Also, people (like me) may have other allergies (or intolerances) or even gastrointestinal infections from bacteria, parasites and/or candida, which can affect how they feel. I went through many tests and treatments before my IBS symptoms completely resolved. Gluten free was just the first step for me. Nevertheless, Elab tests show the presence of gluten and Ttg antibodies, which is similar to standard blood tests, which show antibodies. For many people, who don't want to return to eating gluten just so they can damage their intestines enough to let gluten antibodies leak into their blood stream, Elab stool tests are a viable, noninvasive alternative.

You are making the assumption that small amounts of fecal anti-gliadin are meaningful. I don't believe any research has proven that or even come close. To the contrary, published studies suggest that only very high measurements are meaningful. Fine has his cutoff set far too low.

Open Original Shared Link

I had another study where the authors suggested that fecal anti-gliadin comes and goes, but I'm sick and I can't find it right now. They suggested small amounts of fecal anti-gliadin IgA are a normal immune function. (Fine's data suggest that too, since he gets it in so many gluten tolerant people.)

Anti-TTG is more worrisome, but but the whole reason Fine developed that test was to find microscopic colitis, not celiac. Fecal anti-TTG comes up in any bowel disease where there is inflammation, including infection, Crohn's, or microscopic colitis. Fecal anti-EMA is diagnostic of celiac, but that test would not be practical for Enterolab becasue it's done manually. So, you can have small amounts of fecal anti-gliadin no matter what, and anti-TTG from just about anything that damages the intestine. This is not necessarily diagnostic of celiac and the one certain test, anti-EMA, is not available at Enterolab. If your anti-gliadin is well above Fine's ridiculously low reference range and you have anti-TTG, yes, you need a celiac workup. If your results are borderline, it's anyone's guess what's going on.

As far as wellbeing, are you really going to tell me that if you ask 100 people "do you feel better gluten-free, yes, no, or maybe"? you will not get a useful metric? Give me a break. People know when they feel better and you don't need a sophisticated QOL measure to capture it. That fallacy of thinking you need to quantitate well-being has lead to insanity like endocrinologists treating people with only T4. Funny, when someone asked "Which did you prefer, treatment 1 or treatment 2" in a double-blinded, crossover trial with T3/T4 and T4 you get the answer you would expect - people preferred T3/T4 over T4. QOL measures were not different, nor was Hamilton. (Turns out there is one item on HDI that does come out different for folks on T3.) These measures are broken, in dangerous ways.

burdee Enthusiast

As far as wellbeing, are you really going to tell me that if you ask 100 people "do you feel better gluten-free, yes, no, or maybe"? you will not get a useful metric? Give me a break. People know when they feel better and you don't need a sophisticated QOL measure to capture it. That fallacy of thinking you need to quantitate well-being has lead to insanity like endocrinologists treating people with only T4. Funny, when someone asked "Which did you prefer, treatment 1 or treatment 2" in a double-blinded, crossover trial with T3/T4 and T4 you get the answer you would expect - people preferred T3/T4 over T4. QOL measures were not different, nor was Hamilton. (Turns out there is one item on HDI that does come out different for folks on T3.) These measures are broken, in dangerous ways.

I never said you can't quantify well-being. Plenty of psychological tests already do that. I just responded to your comment that Enterolab tests couldn't predict how you will feel after going off gluten. Elab considers the contents of stool samples and DNA swabs. They don't use psychological tests to predict well-being. So Elab tests as well as blood tests and endoscopies can't predict how people feel after going off gluten. However, all those tests are still helpful to persuade people with IBS symptoms to abstain from gluten.

However, I do like your example concerning T3/T4 preference. Many people don't easily convert T4 to T3 (which the cells utilize). So they need T3 as well as T4. However, medical practices are very slow to change. Despite evidence to the contrary doctors very slowly accept new ideas. SIGH ...

Skylark Collaborator

SIGH is right!

Archived