This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suggestions For Dedicated Facility Olive Oil Brands?

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

One more....

I think I have been contaminated by the last 2 organic olive oil brands. Someone who is also sensitive on here mentioned Bariani brand, and that they did okay. I just ordered it from their website, and it was about $22 plus another $10 in shipping for one bottle. I don't prefer to keep spending that much money on oil, as I use too much of it. Does anyone have any other brands that are made in dedicated facilities to recommend? I do shop at Whole Foods and Kroger. I also have a Trader Joe's in the city. Thanks:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Just curious ....what do these oil factories produce that would have gluten? Are there factories in Italy that get large amounts of wheat and try to process wheat germ oil? Most factories only have one kind of machinery. They might process other oils but they certainly don't bake things or make noodles on those machines.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I use Bertolli Light olive oil. I get it in 3 L containers from BJ's for around $13-$16.

shayre Enthusiast

Just curious ....what do these oil factories produce that would have gluten? Are there factories in Italy that get large amounts of wheat and try to process wheat germ oil? Most factories only have one kind of machinery. They might process other oils but they certainly don't bake things or make noodles on those machines.

I was using Spectrum Organics and I don't know where they are made. However, they process wheat germ oil on the same equipment. That information I just emailed a company about Villa Flor organic olive oilthat I have been using for a few weeks, and all they responded with was "There could be cross-contamination". So I don't know on that one. This oil came from Argentina. The Bariani oil that I just ordered said that they are only dedicated to olives and that there is no chance of cross contamination. The email came back from a "Bariani" family member.

shayre Enthusiast

I use Bertolli Light olive oil. I get it in 3 L containers from BJ's for around $13-$16.

Have you checked with the company at all about the equipment and cross-contamination? You are super sensitive like me, aren't you?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Have you checked with the company at all about the equipment and cross-contamination? You are super sensitive like me, aren't you?

I have not checked with them but I have not had any problems (I really only contact companies if I suspect a problem). I'm pretty sure just from looking at their website that Olive oil is the only oil Bertolli makes. They also make some pasta meals but those products would not be made on the same equipment (and maybe not even in the same factory). I consider myself very sensitive, but not as sensitive as some on this board. I don't usually have trouble with things processed in the same factory (different rooms/equpiment) but I have to avoid anything made on the same equipment. I have read about others having trouble with Spectrum Naturals Olive oil because they make wheat germ oil on the same lines. So I don't think you are wrong to suspect the oliv eoil if that is what you were using.

kareng Grand Master

I usually get Bertolli. Ones made in Italy. They only make olive oils, not other oils.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shayre Enthusiast

Thanks. I guess that I'll go buy Bertolli. I wish that I hadn't already spent so much money on the other, but...oh well:)

Michelle1234 Contributor

Thanks for posting this. Sometimes I get a reaction but don't know where from. I would never have dreamed olive oil would be cross contaminated but now I know better and will check out the products I buy.

Michelle

shayre Enthusiast

Just so you all know. I did call Bertolli just now. They told me that it was safe with no chance of cross-contamination. Good news. I had just wanted to double check to make sure.

Archived