Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is It True That Celiacs Lack An Enzyme That Protects Our Body/organs From Cancer?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

I have heard this from a woman on another board? And wonder how valid this statement was? Thank you!
Melissa
9/10 Diagnosed celiac via bloodwork/endo
9/10 Gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

If there was an enzyme that protected people from cancer - only Celiacs would get cancer & researchers would be frantically trying to duplicate it. It would be all over the news. Celiac isn't about a lack of enzymes, its autoimmune.

Ask her for her source. Read the source. Beware her source, if she can provide one. It will not be a reliable & well recognized Medical Center. It will be someone trying to sell us "a cure".

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

Thanx u I knew she seemed very whacky I trust this board with everything :) you made my weekend by confirming my thoughts xoxo
Melissa
9/10 Gluten free

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

I have heard this from a woman on another board? And wonder how valid this statement was? Thank you!

I remember reading a recent article about celiacs eating wheat having a cancer risk. Celiacs on the gluten-free diet were fine.

#5 blueshabooMoon

blueshabooMoon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hello, almost every medical site you read frpm the Chicago Med Center who are top of field in Specialized Celiac Dr.`s to Columbia University, all state why it is important if diagnosed to follow life-time strict gluten free diet.
Left untreated or by ignoring confirmed celiac disease could be life threatening for you. We celiacs are prone to be afflicted with dibilitating or life threatening problems: malabsorption, osteoporosis, tooth enamel wearing, your central and peripheral nervous system can be effected, pancreatic disease, internal hemorrhaging, organ disorders (gall bladder, liver, and spleen), and gynecological disorders. Untreated celiac disease has also been linked an increased risk of certain types of cancer, especially intestinal lymphoma. Terri

#6 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Terri I'm aware of all of this....I was wondering if this ? However was true.
Melissa
9/10 Gluten free

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

There are some people who are either not sticking to the diet, or have not recovered physically yet and are prone to saying crazy things. And then there are people who are just trolling trying to provoke anxiety or attention. Sounds like you found one of them.

Trying to figure this out, it just sounds like confusion. There is an enzyme involved in celiac reactions, transglutaminase 2, aka TG2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: