4 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

How is it that they say to test family members every 3-5yrs? What if we go gluten free as a family? How would a test like that work?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 trents

trents

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

No, the test would not be valid if you quit using gluten. But the important thing is to see how symptoms respond to going gluten free. That won't cost you anything.

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

How is it that they say to test family members every 3-5yrs? What if we go gluten free as a family? How would a test like that work?

It is meant for people still consuming gluten. When I was diagnosed I didn't take the whole family gluten free. All our meals we ate together were but everone else still ate regular bread etc and the kids ate lunch at school. I did have both my boys screened and they were negative right after. Neither of them "seemed" to show any symptoms at that time. I was getting suspicious of my older son so I had him rescreened a year later, but again negative. Two years after my diagnosis I had them both retested again and my oldest once again was negative but my youngest son tested positive (he had been having some symptoms for appx 6 mo before). My youngest son went gluten free without a scope and we saw a lot of improvement but it was slow. We did do a gluten challange after 4 1/2 months and it didn't go well, he reacted so bad. So he is diagnosed on his blood work, good response to the diet and his reaction when he did the challenge. Older boy I'm convinced just one of those people who are negative on blood work, he could be non celiac gluten intolerent also, and he is going for a scope on Aug. 17th. Regardless of the results at the very least he will be doing a gluten free trial or gluten free for good. My hubby still will not be gluten free, but the only one in the house that consumes gluten.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

My kids are 6 and 7 and so messy. Crumbs always everywhere. They are always eating bread. Everything must have gluten all over it. I haven't healed completely so getting rid of all the gluten crumbs may help me. That is why we would go at least gluten bread free. We make bread gluten free. If we can figure it out, we will do it.

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

My kids are 6 and 7 and so messy. Crumbs always everywhere. They are always eating bread. Everything must have gluten all over it. I haven't healed completely so getting rid of all the gluten crumbs may help me. That is why we would go at least gluten bread free. We make bread gluten free. If we can figure it out, we will do it.

Sounds like you have cc potential everwhere. I am very strict where anyone can eat gluten things. Hubby is really careful. When both boys ate regualar bread they had to stay at the table and when done go wash hands and the table washed down. Now the only thing that is contaminated is the hubbys small area of the counter (he is the only one who uses it and he keeps it clean), the comupter keyboard/mouse and I guess surfaces in the car. I always keep soap and water in the car so I can wash before I eat food on the road. I haven't been able to keep gluten out of the vehicles, but we have worked around it and it hasn't bothered me yet.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: