This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beer Research Into Ppm Of Gluten

fallout1

fallout1 Rookie

Just read this interesting article on beer ELISA testing: Open Original Shared Link

It seems that we just don't know the true effects of horedins yet..But if we go off the Swedish study that tested several beers for gluten content, there are a wide variety of standard beers with well under 20/ppm.

Open Original Shared Link

If the beers listed are <20ppm does anyone think these beers could be ingested safely?

And please, I am genuinely curious, militant celiacs please control thyselves.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Just read this interesting article on beer ELISA testing: Open Original Shared Link

It seems that we just don't know the true effects of horedins yet..But if we go off the Swedish study that tested several beers for gluten content, there are a wide variety of standard beers with well under 20/ppm.

Open Original Shared Link

If the beers listed are <20ppm does anyone think these beers could be ingested safely?

And please, I am genuinely curious, militant celiacs please control thyselves.

I want to thank you, those were some interesting links. I kind of got wrapped up in the first one, and will hit that site again.

It's an interesting proposition you presented. I've enjoyed beer my entire adult life until going gluten-free. I've tried several of the gluten-free beers, can't say that they appealed to me or hurt me as much as some of the processed gluten-free foods have. (But everyone reacts differently.) I guess if I were to try one, it would be the Holland Beer Grolsche served ice cold. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to have two or three though.

I'm pretty sensitive, have neurological reactions to gluten, so I can't test it. If you give it a whirl, I'd be interested to learn how it went.

fallout1 Rookie

I'm pretty sensitive, have neurological reactions to gluten, so I can't test it. If you give it a whirl, I'd be interested to learn how it went.

If there was any internal damage I'd be hard pressed to know as I don't really get any manifestations personally. Those beer readings were for 1 liter as well. 33oz to 1L is around 2.75-3 beers at 12oz a piece. Some tested at 0 or not present even. It seems like beer companies could really be at the forefront by investing in some testing and being able to market their beer as gluten-free. I'd like to discuss the proposition with doctor or someone with some knowledge, but I admit I'm tempted.

T.H. Community Regular

I'd be wary. If you can tolerate the whole 'processed in the same facility' thing, which is sounds like you can, I'd still be concerned, primarily because the testing itself seems to be an issue.

A while back I saw an article aimed at manufacturers who are thinking of using barley malt, and it said this:

"It is a bit tricky to accurately test for barley hordein in food. One assay, the sandwich omega-gliadin ELISA, severely underestimates gluten from barley, having a cross-reactivity of only 4 to 8%. Another assay, the sandwich R5 ELISA, overestimates gluten from barley by a factor of 2.

When it comes to testing for gluten in a highly hydrolyzed product, such as barley malt, the test that usually overestimates barley contamination (i.e., the sandwich R5 ELISA) may now underestimate it. There is an assay available for testing hydrolyzed ingredients

killernj13 Enthusiast

I have had that Spanish Beer that claims to be less than 20 PPM's while being barly based and I have felt sick both times.

Conversely, I have been drinking Mike's Lemonade all summer and have felt fine. They have started putting gluten free on two on their light products with the familiar claim that the gluten is removed in the processing.

So this is a tough one to make a decision on.

RL2011 Rookie

Great information!

Thank you.

fallout1 Rookie

I'd be wary. If you can tolerate the whole 'processed in the same facility' thing, which is sounds like you can, I'd still be concerned, primarily because the testing itself seems to be an issue.

A while back I saw an article aimed at manufacturers who are thinking of using barley malt, and it said this:

"It is a bit tricky to accurately test for barley hordein in food. One assay, the sandwich omega-gliadin ELISA, severely underestimates gluten from barley, having a cross-reactivity of only 4 to 8%. Another assay, the sandwich R5 ELISA, overestimates gluten from barley by a factor of 2.

When it comes to testing for gluten in a highly hydrolyzed product, such as barley malt, the test that usually overestimates barley contamination (i.e., the sandwich R5 ELISA) may now underestimate it. There is an assay available for testing hydrolyzed ingredients

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

The thing that would concern me is batch-to-batch variability in the beer. There is a fair amount of variability within brewers, and there is only a single sample of each beer. Even if the PPM gluten were reliable, I would still read that list as "beer tends to have >20 ppm gluten."

Marilyn R Community Regular

You might find this old thread interesting.

Archived