28 replies to this topic

#1 Darissa

Darissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:06 AM

Well, its back to school time here in Arizona. I feel like I fix the same things over and over again for my daughter for her lunches. She loves homemade soup or stew in a hot thermos, but not this time of year (its way to hot here to go out to recess at school, than come in and eat hot soup for lunch). We also do cold smoothies in the thermos, and gluten free sandwhiches, but would like other ideas as well. We have no other food restrictions besides gluten. ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

What I do is make a chart of all the food my Dd likes

example:

Protein:
Sliced turkey
Meatballs
Chicken
cottage cheese etc..

Fruit:
Apples
grapes
pears
canned peaches etc...

Veggies
Carrots
cucumbers w/dressing
broccoli florets
celery etc...

Dairy:
yogurt
cottage cheese
cheese sticks etc..

Carbs:
tortilla chips
Tortilla wraps
Bagels
Hot dog roll
breadsticks
rice etc....

then mix and match

good luck

#3 SilverSlipper

SilverSlipper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

The post from this site is old, but the ideas are timeless:

http://glutenfree.wo...r-what-to-pack/

They always give me great ideas when I get stuck for what to send. My daughter eats lunch mostly at school (they cook it separately and gluten-free for her), but for field trips, spend the nights and snacks, sometimes I struggle.

Good luck :)

#4 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thanks to you both! I like the chart idea. Sometimes just visualizing the options makes it easier for me and her to choose what to pack!

Also, I love that website with the lunch ideas. She has some great ideas too.

Thanks for replying!

We've packed gluten-free lunches for almost 3 years now, but seem to be in a rut, so it will be great with new ideas:))

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

If anyone has dairy/egg/peanut/treenut/soy ideas, I would love to hear those too!

I like the list Mizzo! Grab from each to make it easy!

#6 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

I'm a huge fan of vegetable and/or bean purees as dips for crackers and vegetables followed by fruit and chocolate/nuts if permitted, maybe a bit of cheese or milk from school. Think of it as a spin-off from hummus:

take one favorite vegetable, cooked
add one cooked/canned bean
toss in a slosh of something refreshing, like lemon juice
top it off with some herbs or spices
zap it in a food processor.

Takes five minutes if you have extra veg from supper the night before. You can even freeze little containers, and they both keep lunch cold and defrost in the bag. I can send you links to a couple of recipes, if you like. Message me.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#7 Brenna'sMom

Brenna'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

My dd starts Kindergarten in two weeks. Thanks for the lunch ideas. I have to say, the idea of coming up with something different every day is a little daunting compared to packing a snack two days a week for preschool.

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

I have to come up with something new this year. Daughter has to have a diet that is lower in simple carbs. Last year she didn't eat much in the way of breakfast or lunch because her lunch came at 10:30. But she will have the latest lunch this year. So she will need to eat. Last year she mainly had carrots and apples. But she will need something more substantial.

#9 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

The post from this site is old, but the ideas are timeless:

http://glutenfree.wo...r-what-to-pack/

They always give me great ideas when I get stuck for what to send. My daughter eats lunch mostly at school (they cook it separately and gluten-free for her), but for field trips, spend the nights and snacks, sometimes I struggle.

Good luck :)

I made the rollup bread from this website tonight and it is great. It softens as it cools and can def roll without breakage or crumbs. I used 1/2 sorghum and 1/2 wht rice flour and 1/2 tapioca starch and 1/2 potato starch in the recipe, simple because its what I had. Meaning it's versatile

I strongly suggest everyone try this. A good gluten-free rollup bread.

BTW I hve not made a bread I liked till this one.

#10 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

We have been eating crepes and using them as sandwich wraps. School starts Wed. for us so it gives us something new.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

My boys do not have to be gluten-free. But when they take lunches, they don't always like the " normal" lunch. Add fruit or carrot sticks & maybe some gummy fruit snacks. Here are some things they take or have seen at school & can be gluten-free:

Cold cuts,Cheese spread, cheese, egg slices, salad dressing or mustard or mayo, etc on rice cakes or Corn Thins
PB, almond butter, nutella, sun nut butter with pretzels to dip
PB on celery
Peanuts, sunflower seeds ( shelled) or nuts
Crackers with PB or plain with the peanuts
Sushi
Cold Chinese
Cold pizza
Cheese chunks & crackers and grapes
popcorn for the grain portion
PB&J on pancakes or waffles
PB rolled up in a rice tortilla ( if you have nice ones where you live)
Hot hamburger taco meat in thermos with chips to scoop it up with
Chili or anything you can scoop with corn tortilla chips
cold chicken & cheese in a taco shell with salsa in a side container ( mine doesn't like the salsa
Cold cuts rolled around a chunk of cheese ( maybe spinach leaves, too?) hooked with a toothpick
Shredded cheese to sprinkle on tortilla chips

A baggie of peanuts or cheese chunks must be carefully guarded at lunch. Everyone wants them.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

I made the rollup bread from this website tonight and it is great. It softens as it cools and can def roll without breakage or crumbs. I used 1/2 sorghum and 1/2 wht rice flour and 1/2 tapioca starch and 1/2 potato starch in the recipe, simple because its what I had. Meaning it's versatile

I strongly suggest everyone try this. A good gluten-free rollup bread.

BTW I hve not made a bread I liked till this one.

Which sandwhich wrap recipe on her site did you use? There are 3. I would like to try one today.

#13 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

Which sandwhich wrap recipe on her site did you use? There are 3. I would like to try one today.

The sandwich wrap 2 with variations. I didn't let it rise. 25 minutes begin to end. I had another rollup section with tuna for lunch today and still soft. Really spread it thin because it still rises when cooking.

good luck

#14 Ev7777

Ev7777

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

My 2 1/2 son does not have to be gluten-free but my nephew who does have to be is at my house a lot so it has just been easier to maintain a lot of our foods Gluten Free for both kids. It's easier for when I have to cook for both of them or pack their lunches. One of my son's favorite lunches is "Dr. Praeger's" brand potato crusted fishies (fish sticks in the form of goldfish - a big hit!) and "Dr. Praeger's" brand sweet potato littles, spinach littles or broccolli littles (vegetables in the shape of dinosaurs, stars, etc.) They are gluten free of course. They are fun to eat and are delicious and nutritious to boot.

#15 SilverSlipper

SilverSlipper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

Juliebove, my daughter had a similar problem when her lunch time changed to the latest time. She kept having stomach aches around 10:45 every day. Her school allowed her to take a small bag of trail mix into class and eat it quietly at her desk. Your school would probably allow similar. I don't think it's an unusual request at all. GOod luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: