18 replies to this topic

#1 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

I had an interesting thing come up yesterday that never crossed my mind until it happened. I have been gluten free for 1 month now and this Sunday at Church I was in line to get communion when it occured to me, "I can't have the bread for communion!" Of course I am moving closer in the line and starting to panic, what should I do, what should I do? As a Christian the thought of giving up communion is a very sad thought so I figured I should be okay with just a little wafer of bread right? Well, now I know better. I have had D and a horrible migraine headache that ibuprofin won't even take the edge off of. I have felt horrible the last two days. Now the question is, how do I take communion? I don't think as a Christian I can give that up. I will talk to the Pastors about bringing in my own bread but I don't always know what weeks we are going to have it. Do I bring bread every week just in case?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

I had an interesting thing come up yesterday that never crossed my mind until it happened. I have been gluten free for 1 month now and this Sunday at Church I was in line to get communion when it occured to me, "I can't have the bread for communion!" Of course I am moving closer in the line and starting to panic, what should I do, what should I do? As a Christian the thought of giving up communion is a very sad thought so I figured I should be okay with just a little wafer of bread right? Well, now I know better. I have had D and a horrible migraine headache that ibuprofin won't even take the edge off of. I have felt horrible the last two days. Now the question is, how do I take communion? I don't think as a Christian I can give that up. I will talk to the Pastors about bringing in my own bread but I don't always know what weeks we are going to have it. Do I bring bread every week just in case?

I'm not sure about your particular church, but I would suggest you speak to a Pastor. Different churches/religions have their own guidelines about this but I'm sure it's come up before and between the two of you come up with a plan that will allow you to participate in Communion.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 suziq0805

suziq0805

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

I am Lutheran but teach in a Catholic school and both have the option for gluten-free wafers. My church had gluten-free wafers for me. A student in my school has celiac and they have gluten-free wafers for her during mass. It works well if you receive communion first every week so that there are not crumbs on the hands of whoever is giving out the bread/wafers. I just go first in line every week and the student at my school goes up for communion with the eucharistic ministers and is the first one to receive communion with that group. I know some churches use actual bread pieces or loaves of bread and if that's your church maybe you could provide bread or speak with them about gluten-free wafers.

#4 DianeMu

DianeMu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:05 AM

Talk to your pastor. I am Catholic and my church offers bread and wine. I receive just the wine. My pastor offered to purchase rice wafers for me. If your intent is to receive communion - God knows that. He does not want you sick.

#5 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:21 AM

I don't know what size your church is but for smaller ones I think it's easier. My church has communion once a month, either on trays that are passed through the pews, or by intinction where we go up front and tear off a piece of bread and dip it in the juice. So on Sundays when we do intinction there are gluten-free wafers for me (since we know that gluten free bread falls apart when it's dunked, lol). For the other Sundays we now use gluten free bread. :) I kind of wish they hadn't done that since the gluten free bread is so expensive. I would have been happy with a wafer on the tray, or in a little container or something. But anyway...that's what we've done.

#6 K Baldwin

K Baldwin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

The Benedictine Sisters make a low-gluten altar bread that has been certified safe for most Celiacs, and they are approved for use by the Vatican. I think most Celiacs would have to eat 200 at a time before feeling ill....so many people can consume them safely. They sell to parishes, other churches and directly to individuals (who carry them in a pix and give them to their pastor beforehand to be blessed). You might check with your pastor first, to see what he likes to do. Here's a link to the Benedictine Sisters altar bread info: http://altarbreadsbs.../lowgluten.php. Good luck!

#7 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

If your intent is to receive communion - God knows that. He does not want you sick.

I once heard someone say that they just partake in Communion (like normal) and eat the bread and drink the wine even though they're coeliac.

They quoted that:

I just take the bread and eat it and I suffer afterwards. But It's Christ's body; and He went through far more suffering than I ever have.

I'd be interested on your perspective with regard to this particular matter...

#8 kitgordon

kitgordon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

If you take communion with gluten weekly on that theory, you would simply never recover. Lots of us are ill for a week or more after consuming gluten. Christ had a particular mission that ended with an episode of extreme suffering. I can't think God's plan for most of us is to be too ill to work or care for our families for the rest of our lives.

#9 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

My pastor gets gluten free bread for me. The servers put it in a little bag (after washing their hands) and my neighbor will open the bag from the outside and I will take the piece of bread out. I sing in the choir so I am always sitting next to the same people so they are used to my gluten free needs. My pastor said that he tried some of the gluten free bread and doesn't know how I eat it. Given that they get it for me I told him that I am happy to have what they provide (which I am) but not to worry because I eat a better type of bread when I buy it for myself. One day he apparently forgot to bring the bread (they keep it at their house so it doesn't get used by others) and someone went and bought a loaf since he didn't bring it.

#10 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

I once heard someone say that they just partake in Communion (like normal) and eat the bread and drink the wine even though they're coeliac.

They quoted that:

I'd be interested on your perspective with regard to this particular matter...

to me, communion is about atonement, not suffering. i don't remember the part in the bible where it says Jesus had D for me. but whatever floats your boat.

i bring my bread in a little snackie bag to church and take it out and eat it at the altar where everyone else is receiving the host and the pastor blesses it along with all the regular bread. last week i forgot it in the pew and had to dash back to get it and everybody smiles and asks me after the service "oh, you forgot to bring up your bread didn't you?" i hope everyone has such love at their church as i have in ours. they are truly our church family :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I go to a small Church with around 200 members and the pastors are more than willing to work with me. I just need to find out what weeks we have Communion so I can be prepared. I agree, it is about atonement and being forgiven and not about me suffering personally. I am finally feeling healthy and don't think God wants me to start feeling sick again since I believe this diagnosis was an answer to prayer. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

#12 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

Here are the wafers I mentioned in my post, the ones we use at my church on Sundays when we go up front to receive. They're made by Ener-G. I hope I'm allowed to put a link here. Not sure about that, so if it gets deleted just google "gluten free communion wafers" and look for Ener-G.

http://www.cokesbury...352972&vsl=0001

#13 viviendoparajesus

viviendoparajesus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

i kind of relate. it was important to me to have communion but since my diagnosis. i knew it was too risky. i miss it at times and all that it signifies but i cannot hurt my body like that. i do not think that is what God wants me to do. it depends on the church i go to. the one has it where i have to buy and bring gluten-free communion wafers with me. the other church will order them and i just let the pastor know. best wishes!
Misdiagnosed - IBS, TMJ, eczema, KP, etc
Real Diagnosis - Gluten & Casein (milk protein) Intolerance, Cross Reactivity to Yeast & Buckwheat
Recommend: Tests: Entero Labs Gluten Sensitivity & Gene Testing
Books: * Allergies by Dr. Carolee Bateson-Koch (digestion, yeast, parasites, body pH...)
* Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Dr. Datis Kharrazian (gluten & autoimmune problems)
* Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Dr. Daniel Amen (foods, supplements...)
Supplements: * digestive enzymes, * probiotics (dairy free - Klaire Labs - Pro5)

#14 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

As far as 'wafers' in themselves go, I believe a recent study that I saw said that a majority of Coeliacs were able to safely eat 50mg of gluten (approx 1/100th of a slice of bread) per day over a period of time without any signs of damage to their villi.

Seeing as though communion wafers are generally 'thin' and (when crushed) would probably resemble approximately 1/100th of a slice of bread, do you think it may be ok on the odd occasion to partake in it? I'm skeptical. :unsure:

#15 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

As far as 'wafers' in themselves go, I believe a recent study that I saw said that a majority of Coeliacs were able to safely eat 50mg of gluten (approx 1/100th of a slice of bread) per day over a period of time without any signs of damage to their villi.

Seeing as though communion wafers are generally 'thin' and (when crushed) would probably resemble approximately 1/100th of a slice of bread, do you think it may be ok on the odd occasion to partake in it? I'm skeptical. :unsure:

Even if that is true, and it's not necessarily damaging your villi, it could still cause you to be sick. I believe God knows what's in our hearts. If you don't partake in communion it doesn't mean you have given up on your faith. It's a symbolic act that represents Christ's body and his blood being shed on the cross. The most important thing as a Christian is that you recognize that act, this can be done whether you participate in communion or not. If communion is really important to you I would suggest what others have already suggested and go for the gluten free bread or gluten free wafers. Yes Jesus did die on the cross for us but I don't for a second believe that he expects us to "repay" him by making ourselves sick once a week, or month, or whenever.
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: