This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Withdrawl

Sam'sMom

Sam'sMom Apprentice

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as gluten withdrawl. My 8 year old was diagnosed about a month ago and he's been gluten free ever since. He had a huge (and still does) love affair with pasta and bread and all carbs. Weird how we love the things that are harming us. Anyway, ever since he's been very moody in a way I've never seen. When he's mad he screams very loudly and seems quite disregulated. At first I thought it was because he is hungrier now (has anyone noticed that with their kids?) that his food is being absorbed properly and he's digesting better. I was thinking he was having more bouts of low blood sugar from reaching hunger faster. Then someone mentioned that they heard you can withdrawl from gluten for a while like a drug. That makes more sense to me in the way he acts at times.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows anything about it, or even why one seems so much hungrier on a gluten-free diet.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Absolutely experienced this with my DD last year as we left gluten behind. I do not know if it is a "real" withdrawal or just part of the healing process.

My dd had major mood swings ranging from anger ( she would scream at me for little things) or fits of crying ( i would ask whats the matter and she would say she doesn't know she just feels sad.) emotions were all over the place. I had to explain to the teacher because it was noticeable in school as well.

They pass but not immediately, I think it took a good 8-9 weeks for us.

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Thanks - it is certainly strange from my usually mild mannered child to hear him screaming that he hates me and that I'm an idiot. He has never done this before. Glad to hear it will come to an end eventually. Geez.

cahill Collaborator

yes gluten withdraw is real

Open Original Shared Link

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Thanks so much for the withdrawl resources. I feel much better. I'm wondering if there are ways to support him while he's going through it and should I give him bits of gluten here and there to make it easier? He is having a really hard time with his emotions. Poor guy. At least I know I don't need to find someone to do an exorcism now.

lilu Rookie

No, no, no... Please do not give him gluten! From an addiction perspective that's like giving an alcoholic a little bit now and then to take the edge off. Giving him gluten now will only prolong the withdrawal. From a celiac perspective, additional damage will keep happening if you do this, which will result in a longer healing time and greater injury.

I know it's tough, but you are so far into it that I'm sure there's a light at the end of this tunnel. Keep up the good work!

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Thanks. I am certainly not inclined to do reintroduce anything, I just thought I saw a reference to possible adverse effects of stopping very suddenly. We'll just keep moving forward at this point.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived