This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Negative Celiac Panel, But Positive From Enterolab?

AllergicToEverything

AllergicToEverything Rookie

I just want to confirm that this makes sense. I had a Celiac Panel done with the following results:

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IGA TTG AntiBody IGA <3

Immunogobulin A 296

The conclusion of these results were that I don't have celiac or gluten intolerance.

Also using blood tests, my GP said I was tested for several food allergies. All came back negative, except he said that I had a mild allergy to shrimp.

However, my enterolab results (stool test) seems to contradict the blood tests:

Gluten/Antigenic Food Sensitivity Stool/Gene Panel

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 148 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-casein (cow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daniknik Apprentice

I just want to confirm that this makes sense. I had a Celiac Panel done with the following results:

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IGA TTG AntiBody IGA <3

Immunogobulin A 296

The conclusion of these results were that I don't have celiac or gluten intolerance.

Also using blood tests, my GP said I was tested for several food allergies. All came back negative, except he said that I had a mild allergy to shrimp.

However, my enterolab results (stool test) seems to contradict the blood tests:

Gluten/Antigenic Food Sensitivity Stool/Gene Panel

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 148 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-casein (cow

AllergicToEverything Rookie

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I must confess that deep down, I knew the answer to my question before I even asked it. I've just gotten a little frustrated. After 3 weeks of being on a gluten free diet, I haven't had any noticeable improvement in my major symptoms (insomnia, moodiness, acid reflux, depression). I guess that I don't really have a choice but to hang in there.

I was really hoping that I could overcome the other allergies. Based on your experience, it doesn't sound particularily promising. One thing that I'm not clear on is what are the consequences of continuing to eat eggs, etc. With gluten, I understand some of the complications. With the others, I don't. Are the consequences as dire?

Thanks!

Bruce

Skylark Collaborator

The Enterolab results may not mean anything. Here is my take on Enterolab that I wrote for someone else and cut/pasted to this onsite blog so I could find it again for other people.

If I were you, I'd stick to the gluten-free diet for a total of 3-4 months. If you still don't feel any different, you're probably barking up the wrong tree. Try reintroducing gluten and see if anything changes. Without any TTG results, there is not much evidence that you're celiac and it's unlikely with DQ6. As I mention in that article, Fine notes in his lectures that 30% of healthy people have anti-gliadin antibodies in their stool.

I wouldn't even consider any of the other results interesting if I got that panel back. They're 10x below your gluten reaction and hardly over the super-low cutoff. You could try elimination and challenge to be sure. There will be no long-term consequences if you eat soy, milk, or egg and don't seem to react to them.

You might want to look up some of the interesting new studies on intestinal bacteria and depression. You might get some benefit from probiotics like Yakult or DanActive (which BTW is not guaranteed to be gluten-free). Also, take fish oil, sprinkle lecithin on your food, and take a GOOD multivitamin with plenty of B-complex. You'd be amazed what nutrition can do for the mind.

timothymichael Newbie

Hey Bruce:

One tip that works for me (most things dont, I have the most sensitive stomach in the world I think) is to fast.

One thing that I did a lot was try and eat certain foods to feel if it would affect my body, when in fact my body didn't need any more food in it. If I am feeling poor and unbalanced, the best thing I can do for my body is to eat really lightly... and when I would normally eat dinner, maybe just not eat anything at all... much on a clove of garlic, go jogging, go to bed.

When I wake up from a fasting day, I feel LIGHT and my stomach feels empty. When my stomach feels light and empty, so does my body.

Try fasting for a day, just maybe eat some steamed veggies and shrimp / fish in a small proportion and see what you feel like the next day.

nora-n Rookie

You are DQ1 (DQ6 and DQ5 are subtypes of DQ1)

and some DQ1 can be very sensitive to gluten.

Usually they test negative for celiac.

I can only remember one person here being DQ6 and officially celiac (several others were obviously symptomatic, and got better off gluten, but had negative tests, and there are two or more forums out there about gluten sensitivity and there are lots of DQ1 there)

You only had the ttg-test, which is desigend to be high when there is much damage to the intestines.

There are more tests, like the antigliadin test, and the deaminated gliadin test. Maybe you would be positive on the antigliadin test?

But DQ1 are sensitive to gluten many other places than just the villi, and rarely test positive re. villi damage.

gluten sensitivity is much much more than just villi damage and DQ2/8.

If you google hadjivassiliou, he says that about 20% of his gluten ataxia patients are DQ1.

Archived