Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Experienced One Or Some Of These Mental Health Issues?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Has Anyone Experienced One Or Some Of These Mental Health Issues? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these problems have you experienced?

1. Depression (83 votes [28.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.72%

2. Anxiety (94 votes [32.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.53%

3. ADHD or ADD (37 votes [12.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.80%

4. Eating disorder (29 votes [10.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.03%

5. Autistic-spectrum disorder (15 votes [5.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.19%

6. Other (please share!) (31 votes [10.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

41 replies to this topic

#1 L.O.C.T.

L.O.C.T.

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

I'm not too knowledgeable about all this, but I've read in a few places that the gut actually deals with a lot of the body's serotonin. If this is true, then could the damage caused by celiac disease also affect the body's serotonin levels/regulation? More importantly, is this intestinal serotonin the same kind that keeps the brain stable and happy?

So, for anyone who has been diagnosed with celiac disease or suspects having it: have you struggled with depression or anxiety in the past? Maybe obsessive-compulsive disorder or even an eating disorder? Or any aspies out there?

...I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist next week to figure out the source of severe gas cramping, and I was thinking that maybe I could pin down some chemical cause of my struggle with anorexia nervosa and obsessive behaviors, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 krystynycole

krystynycole

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

I have not personally struggled with these, but I can tell you that A LOT of people on here have struggled with anxiety and depression issues. I haven't had heard of anyone who was diagnosed OCDC, but I think many people may think we are because of how diligent we have to be when being gluten-free! Many think we go overboard trying to keep from having cc. It's very possible to develop an eating disorder as well because after awhile of eating gluten and being in pain we no longer want to eat and this can lead to not wanting to eat all. Just my thoughts...hope your GI appointment goes well!

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#3 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

I've voted on behalf of my 8yo who has been diagnosed with autism, anxiety, adhd and ocd. Interesting!
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#4 Hadrian

Hadrian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

I've had anxiety, depression, and moderate schizophrenia.

#5 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

I've been dx'd with ADHD, depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder. I was dx'd with ADHD at age 5. The rest came in my teens.

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

-points at signature-

need i say more?

But! i've noticed that going gluten free has helped some of my... issues with it... not all, but some.

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Bipolar. My story is in my profile. :)

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

I was getting pretty blue before I got on thyroid meds. If my docs would have pushed for Celiac testing (Hashis) maybe I would have known sooner.

Thyroid meds pulled me out of depression, but I was still reclusive.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 ElitaSue

ElitaSue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

I have had all of them thrown at me at one time or another - they told me I was Bipolar for over 23 years.Came to find out I had Celiacs the roundabout way (quite a story really). I went to a wonderful Mayo clinic endocrinologist that diagnosed my Celiacs, I have horrible hypoglycemia and secondary adrenal failure. I never had much gut problem in the way of diareaha or hurling just neurological and behavioral. Later I found out I have Occipital Lobe epilepsy causing complex partial seizures (thus all the freaky stuff) and a enzyme disorder called Hyperhomocysteinemia where I cannot process Folic acid. Luckily I just recently found a wonderful Neuro-Psychiatrist and I think I cried when she told me I had never been Bipolar of Schizophrenic - and not crazy, just sick.

I do really, really well. Been gluten/grain/sugar free now for about 4 years. I take 300 mg Lamictal for seizure and now Deplin for Folate deficiency.

I honestly still harbor a pretty nasty grudge against a lot of modern psychiatry - and I wonder how many folks who are put through the psych wringer actually have Celiacs. Breaks my heart sometimes. I cannot tell you how I have been shamed and treated just monstrously, mostly by doctors who are completely ignorant of Celiacs. If you have a lot of psych/neuro issues you really have to stick to your guns, have courage, and shop around to find a really good doc.

Thanks for letting me share.

Peace!

#10 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

I was diagnosed with depression & bi polar about 15 years ago and have been on meds since. Recently I was able to go off of one med entirely by cutting back slowly and have cut the second med dose in half. The more I heal the better I feel emotionally. My current dr agrees that the gut issues and depression can be linked and is very supportive with my going off the meds. Slowly.

#11 spruemylife

spruemylife

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

The national research center for Celiacs in LaJolla, CA posted an article that 1 in 15 patients with mental disorders treated for 1 yr on gluten-free diet had all or most of the symptoms disappear. They do free testing as well.

#12 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

The national research center for Celiacs in LaJolla, CA posted an article that 1 in 15 patients with mental disorders treated for 1 yr on gluten-free diet had all or most of the symptoms disappear. They do free testing as well.

Could you please post the link to this? I would really like to pass it on to my psychiatrist friend.

#13 Februaryrich

Februaryrich

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Anxiety is the biggest issue for me, I consciously know myself that I am not anxious. But the gluten makes my body go Wooohooooo and my stomach suddenly gets tighter.
Gluten free since 01/09/11
Food intolerance to be determined!

#14 naserian

naserian

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I had experienced traits of the following: Deepresion,ADD/ADHD,Aspergers,Parania,Anxienty,Bipolar and Social phobias....
Al the psychologist and psychiatrists ever seen me couldnt deside what kind of problem i had...theycould never give me a full diagnosis....witch of caurse its normal...i wish i could see them and talk to them about my gluten intolerance/sensitivity so they will accept that diet can effect the brain functioning and the behavior. I think the first thing they should ask anyone entering in their office is << Did you ever tested for food intolerances?>> Insted of giving pills to cure a non existed disorter....

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

OCD here. Depression in the past, but I think that was more due to the birth control pills I was on at the time. Perfectionism? Well, that goes along with the OCD. Everything has to be balanced. Everything has to come out even. Asymetry drives me crazy. Now, if you'll pardon me, I have to go wash my hands again. :blink:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: