7 replies to this topic

#1 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

I need help! I have been gluten free for about 5 months now and I have lost about 60 lbs so far and I really need to start toning my body. I know that you are supposed to do sit ups and stuff to tone, but everything raises my heartrate really bad. My resting pulse is between 130 and 160 and then when I try to do simple exercises like walking around the block my pulse is already up to over 200, even housework will make my pulse go up. I used to dance and did a little bit of boxing for fun, but now I'm not even sure about trying those again. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try or is it safe to try and go about dancing again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hi Alex - are you seeing a DR for your high heart rate? You should probably seek medical advice from a professional before starting a work out program since your heart rate gets so high. It might be normal for you, but I don't know because I'm not a doctor.

You could try something like pilates or yoga - they are about strengthening and toning, doing stretches and holding poses, rather than a cardio work out. Stop if you feel your heart racing or feel unwell. Once you have appropriate medical advice, I'm sure the forum could be of great help to you :) Good luck!

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#3 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hi Alex - are you seeing a DR for your high heart rate? You should probably seek medical advice from a professional before starting a work out program since your heart rate gets so high. It might be normal for you, but I don't know because I'm not a doctor.

You could try something like pilates or yoga - they are about strengthening and toning, doing stretches and holding poses, rather than a cardio work out. Stop if you feel your heart racing or feel unwell. Once you have appropriate medical advice, I'm sure the forum could be of great help to you :) Good luck!

I went to the doctor about it a few times and they did an EKG 3 times when I was pregnant with my youngest, but then said that since it was always that high it was normal for me and just something I have to get used to. That was at a clinic type place and now I have no insurance there is no way I will be able to get another doc to see me so I am kind of lost.

#4 calgarywalker

calgarywalker

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

My little piece of advice is to start with walking. I understand you've tried it and it raised your heart rate but consider this: you can walk at whatever pace works for you and you can "pull over" and take a rest whenever - as many times as you want. It requires no equipment, no training and you don't have to spend any money joining a gym or a club or buy instructions or anything. I started really out of shape a few years ago - couldn't go more than 30 seconds without having to stop, gasping for air. Took a while but slowly I was able to do more, faster, and my heart rate slowed and breathing eased, and it got kind of addicting.

Take your favorite music and take your time - with you by you and for you.

#5 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Well put - great advice :)

My little piece of advice is to start with walking. I understand you've tried it and it raised your heart rate but consider this: you can walk at whatever pace works for you and you can "pull over" and take a rest whenever - as many times as you want. It requires no equipment, no training and you don't have to spend any money joining a gym or a club or buy instructions or anything. I started really out of shape a few years ago - couldn't go more than 30 seconds without having to stop, gasping for air. Took a while but slowly I was able to do more, faster, and my heart rate slowed and breathing eased, and it got kind of addicting.

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#6 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Very true. Thank you. I am going to try walking, I will probably wait and have my husband walk with me since he is really patient about everything and maybe it would be better to not go by myself at first. Thank you again.

#7 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

You would be surprised how many calories you can burn on a treadmill at a slow/moderate pace. And, it gives you an opportunity to check your heart rate continuously. If it's too high, take the rate down. Or, you can take the incline down.

With an elevated heart rate like you, can I suggest that IF you watch TV while on the treadmill.... keep it off of a channel that has any politicians on it. That will make your heart rate shoot sky high for sure!!! And, your blood pressure too!

Go to a travel channel or something calming.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#8 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

I really liked Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds series. You can get them on DVD and do it at home at your own pace. I had to stop because the repetitiveness of it irritated the nerves in my legs. BUT I have peripheral neuropathy, so it shouldn't bother most people.

Another thing you can try is bellydancing for fitness (or fun!). There are DVD's you can use and videos online if you don't want to take a class.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: