Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Vietnamese Spring Roll Wrappers - Gluten Free!

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 lucia

lucia

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

I just discovered Vietnamese spring roll wrappers for sale at the Asian Market. What a nice addition to my cooking repertoire. They're gluten-free, made of just tapioca starch, rice flour, salt and water. And they are so easy to use - and satisfy my longings for dumplings! So far, I've filled them with peanut-butter marinated tofu, hijiki & grated carrot, and garlic/soy sauce, sauteed green beans, but they could take anything you could dream up.

This video was helpful for figuring out how to get everything in there and sealed up:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

I didn't know the about the rough and smooth side of the wrap. Cool. I've made these a lot. Can be filled with salad too.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#3 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

I've never had spring rolls, or rice wraps, but we used to make egg rolls and I really miss them.
I want to give this a try! Thanks for posting.

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I make spring rolls quite often when I want a portable cold lunch. I usually just fill them with leftover stirfry with some raw carrot shreds or cabbage for crunch. I've tried making egg rolls a few different way--both brushing with oil and bakign and frying in oil. The frying in oil ones fell apart and didn't really work for me. The oven worked but it took a LONG tiem to get crunchy outsides. I didn't really care for the texture of the rice paper wrapper when it got crunchy. Even though you can get really close to an eggroll by using eggroll filling and probably satify the eggroll craving, it's not quite the same as an egg roll. One of these days I'm going to try making my own gluten-free eggroll wrappers, but I'm just too lazy and would rather make spring rolls. :lol:
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

I use these often, mostly with a rice and salmon filling and make up a teriyaki dip to go along. Sometimes I spray a frying pan with some butter flavored Crisco and fry them until they are crispy, other times I eat them fresh. If there are leftovers the next day, I usually fry them. They are delicious and look great. I use them as a meal or when we have company over. No one knows they are completely gluten and dairy free.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for sharing! I've been meaning to buy some of those wrappers. I love cooked shrimp with mung bean sprouts. The U Tube link was helpful, thanks again.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 kendon0015

kendon0015

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for sharing! I've been meaning to buy some of those wrappers. I love cooked shrimp with mung bean sprouts. The U Tube link was helpful, thanks again.

I make these all the time! I use chopped romaine, shredded lettuce, combo of mint/basil/cilantro, shredded carrot, cooked shrimp, and fine rice noodles. Google for a good dipping sauce. Leftovers make a great lunch....and breakfast. We gluten free people are known to have some very interesting things for breakfast as evident on another thread currently running....

#8 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Here, too, with vermicelli or cellophane noodles, Thai basil or fresh mint, fresh lime juice, shrimp and/or squid or chicken (that have been marinated), julienned carrots, lemongrass, grated fresh ginger, roasted peanuts, fresh Thai chile, garlic, fish sauce, perhaps a touch of Sriracha, nori and numerous dips/sauces/vinaigrettes. If not peanuts, roasted sesame seeds.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#9 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

Wow - thanks for all the ideas! I'm definitely going to try baking my spring rolls. I've been missing dumplings sooooo much, and this discovery is going to fill that void in my life.

I experimented tonight with dessert: spring roll wrappers filled with ripe apricot & basil with lime juice, drizzled with agave syrup (honey is another option). It worked for me, and was super easy.

#10 Keela

Keela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

I love these! I have fried them and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar to make sopapillas, made individual spanakopita, and pretty much anything else that needs phylo dough including Bakalava!!!
Wheat free March 2008
Gluten free December 2010

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

They make great vehicles for appetizers such as little cups for savoury fillings (i.e. goat cheese mousse) or as crackers with hummus or roasted red pepper and walnut dip. Also yummy sprinkled with sumac, black and white sesame seeds, thyme, poppyseeds...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 kendon0015

kendon0015

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

Don't the rice wrappers become really hard after they are baked, such as for spinach pie or baklava? Tell me more...I love these foods and would love to know the technique.

#13 Keela

Keela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

Don't the rice wrappers become really hard after they are baked, such as for spinach pie or baklava? Tell me more...I love these foods and would love to know the technique.

You don't have to bake them long because they are not raw dough. Just heat them through, if they become too hard for your taste wrap or drape a wet paper towel over the food and microwave for 20 seconds. This will help soften the rice papers back to be edible.
Wheat free March 2008
Gluten free December 2010

#14 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

mmmm, these all sound like great ideas!!!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#15 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

Kiwi strawberry spring rolls with a vanilla honey dipping sauce:

http://www.howsweete...comment-page-1/

So easy & summery!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users