#1 chasbari

chasbari

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

the article

My sister tipped me off to this. I left my comment at the end. Author's take has me a bit steamed.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

I do not frequent the Sports and Fitness board (I am unfortunately not into sports other than golf) but the article caught my attention. How incredibly deceptive and misleading! I am so glad you responded how you did. Your comment is succinct and accurate. Hopefully folks will read it and gain a better understanding!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

The writer is an idiot. <_<

I taught journalism classes and his "article" would have merited an F--it contained nothing of value. Totally pointless.

You, however, wrote a terrific reply. :) Bravo, Chas!!

It gets tiring having to "defend" ourselves sometimes. I get a bit steamed myself at people who refer to Celiac as an "allergy". No "allergy" would have caused such a dramatic decline in my health. I lost years to this disease pre-diagnosis! I am also a tad irritated by those who are critical of anyone who adopts a gluten-free diet for health reasons --especially when the one criticizing it as a "fad" doesn't have a clue about gluten, gluten-intolerance or celiac disease. His snarky comments reveal his ignorance.

There are many athletes who have adopted a gluten-free diet (perhaps because of gluten intolerance or celiac or perhaps because they simply feel better without it) and will they, too, come under fire for it? It's no one's business what someone EATS anyway.

sigh....we have so much educating to do....it's hard enough getting my family and friends to "get it" :rolleyes: --how the heck will the rest of the world "get it" when there is so much misinformation out there???!!!! arrgh!! :angry:

okay, rant over :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the support. That's why I love this place so much. I was worried I was over reacting at first but am learning I have to educationally verbal as I advocate for the cause. The level of other comments on that article just reminds me of how fortunate we are, in this cyberspace planet, to have such a safe haven of truly wonderful people here.
CS

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

The level of other comments on that article just reminds me of how fortunate we are, in this cyberspace planet, to have such a safe haven of truly wonderful people here.
CS

Amen to that, brother! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

Writers like him piss me off. As a writer myself, I morally object to presenting some tongue-in-cheek rant as a serious review of an event. Sports columnists often make snide comments, but they acknowledge that it's so and surround the statement with something more legitimate. Considering that he's a blogger and not posting to, say, the NY Times, I would let him off with a "you idiot," but because this one hits a bit close to home, if I were to run into him on the street, my comeback would be a wee bit stronger.

#7 Gluten Free Traveller

Gluten Free Traveller

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

Arrggghh, I read this too and it made me mad! What's with all these silly articles which make gluten free dieting look like a fad. When are they going to realise that coeliac disease is serious and some of us don't eat gluten free for fun. Why would you go gluten free just for fun anyway!? Do your research before writing these ignorant articles people..you are making me cringe. :)
Helping celiacs to explore the world without gluten

Diagnosed as celiac in August 2009
Travelled gluten free to UK, USA, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Iceland, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay

#8 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:32 AM

Can I add some more fuel to the fire about this misconception about it being a "fad" that I observed recently?

First of all, a compliment. Last night was "Gluten Awareness Night" at Coors Field. Kudos to Aramark for having a kiosk that sold nothing but Gluten Free foods (Burgers, Cookies, beers, etc.). They clearly marked the kiosk and it made it very easy to spot.

For those of you unfamiliar with Aramark, they are the subcontractor hired by the Rockies to provide the food and labor of this kiosk. They also, most likely, are the food service vendor for the entire field. On the kiosk, they had stack of flyers in an upright plexi-glass holder.

The first paragraph of the flyer said, "Many people are choosing a gluten free diet on a daily basis...."

Really? Do we gluten intolerant and Celiacs wake up each morning and say "I think I'm going to make a choice today! Hmmmmmm.... do I want to be sick, in bed, living part of the day in the bathroom? Or, do I want to live a healthy, vibrant life in the next 24 hours?"

If the writer of that flyer lived our lives for 24 hours, he/she would have chosen words differently.

It's not a choice.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#9 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

Really? Do we gluten intolerant and Celiacs wake up each morning and say "I think I'm going to make a choice today! Hmmmmmm.... do I want to be sick, in bed, living part of the day in the bathroom? Or, do I want to live a healthy, vibrant life in the next 24 hours?"

Hmmmm, the sun is shining, nice blue sky, looks like a great day to spend in bed. I think I'll have some real bread today. Pass the loaf, dear! Yum, just as I remembered. Oh wait, I'm not feeling so good...... :)

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

I was thinking that as more athletes--or maybe a few "famous people" who get press -- are diagnosed perhaps the sarcasm and cynicism will die down.

Does anyone else think it interesting that Phil Mickelson has Psoriatic Arthritis and Venus Williams has Sjogren's and other assorted health issues??(sure hope they tested those two for celiac disease because I bet a million $$$$ that's what is the underlying cause. Both are often associated with celiac disease)

I saw a small article about this athlete--link below-- and if only the writer had given the celiac disease DX a little more attention, it would have been so helpful. Seems "downplayed" to me....

http://www.usatoday....ness/50138128/1

Someone like me (not an athlete and DEEPLY impacted by this disease--I had to stop swimming and going to the gym) is not going to suddenly rebound just because I "decided" to go gluten-free....arrgh....in fact, my recovery and rehab will take years as my muscles have been severely damaged and the joint and bone pain I suffer is extreme. People think "well, you went gluten-free, you should be all better now...!!!" It was hard enough to get properly diagnosed after years of this pain and misery, but to also have to deal with raging ignorance about the real dangers/ramifications of this disease gets old.

Glad I have a "tribe" on here that "gets it". :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:27 AM

Glad I have a "tribe" on here that "gets it". :)

That's why I ALWAYS have this page open in its own window on my computer. Strength lies in numbers!
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

Yes, obviously I was very interested in Phil Mickelson's psoriatic arthritis; also Venus's withdrawal from the Open due to Sjogren's, and I did wonder the same thing, IrishHeart.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

Yes, obviously I was very interested in Phil Mickelson's psoriatic arthritis; also Venus's withdrawal from the Open due to Sjogren's, and I did wonder the same thing, IrishHeart.

That's because great minds think alike, dear "shroom".... ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: