26 replies to this topic

#1 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

:(I have been having the "woes" lately and got into a conversation with a friend about what makes women cry. We came up with lots of "chick" things that make us cry.

Example: Sad movies, seeing a baby born, personal verbal attacks, missing someone who is no longer in our lives, watching someone else cry, feeling frustrated, touching commercials, regretting past decisions, memories, unexpected happy things happening to us, feeling sorry for ourselves.

I was just wondering what makes you cry? Do you feel better afterwards or worse? How to you get rid of the "woes"? Do you cry alone or "share"?

Would love to hear your stories.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

I am an emotional person and easily moved in both good ways and bad. All you mention get me going and also I must add physical pain. My constant, unrelenting chronic back pain is so bad it at times is beyond tears but it makes me cry at times. The frustration from grieving what I can no longer do as a result of that pain sometimes makes me cry, too. I have cried at incredible foods in other countries I can no longer have but that has really improved. :)

My tiny nieces/nephews calling me with their wee innocent voices also get me. Seeing border collies can set me off - we miss our beloved border collie to pieces so seeing them brings back good memories. Animals in general touch my heart.

Sometimes I almost cry when others share my enthusiasm and passion for cooking! It thrills me to no end. Being in a beautiful spot (i.e. our house/garden in Croatia) always brings tears. Then when it comes time for us to fly back to Canada I cry because I know what I am missing and I dread returning!

My husband is incredibly romantic. Once in Wales in a spectacular garden I asked him, "Have you ever seen anything so lovely in your life?" He replied, "Yes, you on our wedding day." He whisks me off on romantic weekend getaways and plans many exciting things for me (i.e. hiring a personal chef from hours away to come to our house to make me an incredible birthday dinner). He really does love to please me. Walking with him hand in hand (especially in the forest or the sea around our Croatia house) sends shivers up my spine and brings the tears. I am such a sap! :D

Great books such as those written by the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen get me so involved it is as though I am right there. They move me as well. Same with classic movies where love is really love.

When I cry due to pain it does not make me feel better as my eyes swell nearly shut and hurt. But when I cry lightly (i.e. a book) it makes me feel better. My husband has seen me cry tons of times - I've cried with my family when rejoicing and when sad. I sometimes cry in church singing powerful songs.

Seeing others being mistreated, suffering, sad or grieving (or filled with joy!) are yet other things that get me going.

Man, it sounds as though I'm a crybaby! :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

I'm really not much of a crier. Only time I cried often was when I was on gluten and very sick from it. For a while there I would cry over everything-- sometimes I would just sob uncontrollably and have no idea WHY I was crying. I don't do that anymore. About the only thing that makes me cry is the death of a loved one. I never cried at weddings or sad movies or anything like that. Nothing against people that do cry at those things I just never felt emotional about anything except the loss of loved ones. I think I cried when 9-11 happened. I also cry if I'm in extreme pain like the time I broke my toe.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Almost cried today. My big strong 18 year old son was cuddling the dog. They don't cuddle, they wrestle, usually. It just hit him yesterday that he is going far away to college and won't see the dog or his local friends until thanksgiving.

I guess, seeing my kids sad makes me want to cry.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

I am a true Irish/Armenian weeper.....I can really let go when it hits me---the deep heaving scream -like- a banshee gasping sobs. Whoa baby! I feel better after, yes! I cried once for 3 solid hours about a month after my Dad died...it gave me a headache and dehydration! I had kept stoic and strong for my Mom and then, it all came out....I did that for several months until it stopped. He was a big booby -calf, too (that's a Boston expression for someone who cries!) ;) We would both bawl at a soppy movie and crack up about it!

I cried for months after every miscarriage I had and a year of failed fertility treatments. I still tear up sometimes over the fact that I do not have children. (thank you Celiac! :angry: )

I am much like LOVE2TRAVEL...so almost everything she said goes ditto for me!!! ;) ---my beloved black Lab, Gracie or my two cats--man, I still miss them and they've been gone for years...I cry at an injured bird!...or while reading a good book or watching a play. Anything I find "beautiful"...Seeing a rainbow or a sunset sets me off, a beautiful painting in a museum can "move me". Music , too can move me--or a beautiful dance.

And, yes the excruciating pain I live with 24/7 makes me cry all the time....sigh. I have been known to go sit in the car in the garage and just let it go ---so sweet Hubby doesn't have to hear me once more. It makes him feel so bad I am in so much pain....And then, I get over it and move on! :)

I have cried at a good hallmark card from someone who loves me and at the sight of roadkill....and I wept like all get-out when I saw my friend's baby being born! Such a gift! I cry at weddings and funerals and graduations and I cried the first time I saw my best friend on Skype (we had not seen each other in years--only spoken on the phone and email) I cried then, too. Forget "It's a Wonderful Life" at Christmas--or "Taps" at a funeral....I start bawling about half way in. I tear up at news stories of people losing their homes or being destitute, people in pain, or stories of animal abuse and I cry about so many people dying while serving in the armed forces.I also cry with joy when someone shares good news with me...

What can I say?

I'm an emotional person and I LAUGH just as deeply :) I do things all the way, I guess!! :)

Like GFMANNA, I cried like crazy in gluten-hell and THAT's how I really knew something was really wrong with me. I would cry for NO apparent reason...except I felt so awful, not like me and out of my head with gluten weirdness. My husband and I have cried together several times during my strange illness and subsequent horrific pain and getting no answers from dozens of doctors for over 3 years. And yes, we cried FOR JOY yesterday when we learned I was getting better. My lab work shows I am greatly improved. yippee!!

I have teared up in delight on Christmas day while watching my nieces and nephews open gifts and squeal with joy and I cried and laughed when my hubby proposed. When we stood on the Cliffs of Moher on our honeymoon, well, that was so powerful--to see such beauty and realize the depth of God's Hand...well, yup, I blubbered then, too!!

I cry alone-- and with others-- and I make no apologies for being the way I am!
I'd rather be this way than indifferent and cold. ;)
Crying is cathartic and so, let it rip if you need to! It's a known stress-buster....there are scientific studies that show what tears help elimintae from the body, too!...and bottling it up is what makes for problems!

Interesting question you posed !!THANKS... and I almost teared up while writing my response...what a cry baby I am!! :D

sniffle....please pass me a tissue....

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

I am a true Irish/Armenian weeper.....I can really let go when it hits me---the deep heaving scream -like- a banshee gasping sobs. Whoa baby! I feel better after, yes! I cried once for 3 solid hours about a month after my Dad died...it gave me a headache and dehydration! I had kept stoic and strong for my Mom and then, it all came out....I did that for several months until it stopped. He was a big booby -calf, too (that's a Boston expression for someone who cries!) ;) We would both bawl at a soppy movie and crack up about it!

I cried for months after every miscarriage I had and a year of failed fertility treatments. I still tear up sometimes over the fact that I do not have children. (thank you Celiac! :angry: )

I am much like LOVE2TRAVEL...so almost everything she said goes ditto for me!!! ;) ---my beloved black Lab, Gracie or my two cats--man, I still miss them and they've been gone for years...I cry at an injured bird!...or while reading a good book or watching a play. Anything I find "beautiful"...Seeing a rainbow or a sunset sets me off, a beautiful painting in a museum can "move me". Music , too can move me--or a beautiful dance.

And, yes the excruciating pain I live with 24/7 makes me cry all the time....sigh. I have been known to go sit in the car in the garage and just let it go ---so sweet Hubby doesn't have to hear me once more. It makes him feel so bad I am in so much pain....And then, I get over it and move on! :)

I have cried at a good hallmark card from someone who loves me and at the sight of roadkill....and I wept like all get-out when I saw my friend's baby being born! Such a gift! I cry at weddings and funerals and the first time I saw my best friend on Skype (we had not seen each other in years--only spoken on the phone and email) I cried then, too. Forget "It's a Wonderful Life" at Christmas--or "Taps" at a funeral....I start bawling about half way in. I tear up at news stories of people losing their homes or being destitute, people in pain, or stories of animal abuse and I cry about so many people dying while serving in the armed forces.

What can I say?

I'm an emotional person and I LAUGH just as deeply :) I do things all the way, I guess!! :)

Like GFMANNA, I cried like crazy in gluten-hell and THAT's how I really knew something was really wrong with me. I would cry for NO apparent reason...except I felt so awful, not like me and out of my head with gluten weirdness. My husband and I have cried together several times during my strange illness and subsequent horrific pain and getting no answers from dozens of doctors for over 3 years. And yes, we cried FOR JOY yesterday when we learned I was getting better. My lab work shows I am greatly improved. yippee!!

I have teared up in delight on Christmas day while watching my nieces and nephews open gifts and squeal with joy and I cried and laughed when my hubby proposed. When we stood on the Cliffs of Moher on our honeymoon, well, that was so powerful--to see such beauty and realize the depth of God's Hand...well, yup, I blubbered then, too!!

I cry alone-- and with others-- and I make no apologies for being the way I am!
I'd rather be this way than indifferent and cold. ;)
Crying is cathartic and so, let it rip if you need to! It's a known stress-buster....there are scientific studies that show what tears help elimintae fromt he body, too!...and bottling it up is what makes for problems!

Interesting question you posed !!THANKS... and I almost teared up while writing my response...what a cry baby I am!! :D

sniffle....please pass me a tissue....

Oh, IrishHeart! You got me all verklempt. My husband says one of the reasons he fell in love with me was my caring (did he mean crying?) nature. I know what you mean about dead birds! I got teary last week when I saw a dog I love toss a half-live mouse in the air even. Don't get me wrong - I despise mice - but also hate to see anything suffer. Get this - the other day I walked by one of my flowerbeds and said, "Sorry!" to a flower I accidentally knocked off. I cried last year when I lost my apples on our tree to hail. I realize they do not have souls but still!

I too cried tons after every miscarriage and still do at times knowing I never was able to have children. That is one of the saddest things of my life - especially when I see children mistreated when I would love to scoop him/her up in my arms and take them out of the situation!

Yes, my heart is achingly soft but better than rock hard.

IrishHeart, if you and I meet some day we'll have to have a good old cry together. :)

You were proposed to on the Cliffs of Moher? STOP IT! I probably would have cried so hard I would have fallen off...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

:)

Oh, IrishHeart! You got me all verklempt. My husband says one of the reasons he fell in love with me was my caring (did he mean crying?) nature. I know what you mean about dead birds! I got teary last week when I saw a dog I love toss a half-live mouse in the air even. Don't get me wrong - I despise mice - but also hate to see anything suffer. Get this - the other day I walked by one of my flowerbeds and said, "Sorry!" to a flower I accidentally knocked off.

Yes, my heart is achingly soft but better than rock hard.

You were proposed to on the Cliffs of Moher? STOP IT! I probably would have cried so hard I would have fallen off...

Oh Honey,..I know what you mean about the lost babes...my sympathies, sweetie!

LOL ...about the flower!!...I CARRY bugs OUTSIDE rather than squish them. I cried when we lost our apple tree and our birch to storms...what a dork I am!

No, the Cliffs of Moher was during our honeymoon...he proposed on bended knee right here in our garden...surrounded by perennials we have from both our beloved Dad's gardens....oops.... there I go again....waaaaa!!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

:)

LOL ...about the flower!!...I CARRY bugs OUTSIDE rather than squish them...I'm such a dope. :) No, the Cliffs of Moher was during our honeymoon...he proposed on bended knee right here in our garden...surrounded by perennials we have from both our beloved Dad's gardens....oops.... there I go again....waaaaa!!!

Oops - missed that minor Cliffs of Moher detail. Couldn't see it through my tears! (kidding)

I've been known to carry bugs outside, too, especially ladybugs. OK - this will seem really dumb to many people but I actually scoopy up earthworms after a rain on the sidewalk/driveway and put them into one of the flowerbeds. Good for my plants and better for the worms! :D

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

Oops - missed that minor Cliffs of Moher detail. Couldn't see it through my tears! (kidding)

I've been known to carry bugs outside, too, especially ladybugs. OK - this will seem really dumb to many people but I actually scoopy up earthworms after a rain on the sidewalk/driveway and put them into one of the flowerbeds. Good for my plants and better for the worms! :D

Okay , we do live parallel lives!! :lol: ...I take the ladybugs outside too and set them "free"...why are they so darn CUTE!!?? We get a flood of them every spring inside the house... I once wrote an essay about a ladybug who lived in my kitchen all winter long for a class I took (I named her Ethel -learned afterwards that this name means "noble") and she inspired me to hang on when I was very, very sick and in so much pain....and when I read it aloud, that essay made lots of other people cry...LOL

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

I have cried for many of the reasons stated already and then many more too.

I cried after I had my miscarriages, but I also cried when my two daughters were born because I had very difficult pregnancies.

I cried when my youngest was very sick and the doctors said it was just how it would be and I cried when we both had our first mostly symptom free day because I was so happy.

I cried when my youngest said her first word because I didn't think I would ever hear it, she didn't really even try until a few months after taking gluten out of her diet and now she never stops trying to talk.

I have cried many times over some not so good things that have happened in my life and then cried when I realize that if it weren't for those things I would not have met my husband.

I cry when my husband tries to make up for us not having a real wedding and for the way we ended up getting married. (I couldn't stand him when we got married, only married him because I had just turned 18 and had a baby. Only to realize later how much I loved him.)

And because of our wedding (at a church that was being built with no family around, the constructions workers didn't even stop while we said our vows and my daughter was the only one wearing a dress.) I cry at the romantic weddings that you see on tv or in movies.

I cry at romantic movies and books, especially those written by Nicholas Sparks or the movies that are based off his books.

I sometimes cry when my husband and I are in the kitchen cooking dinner together because I never thought our marriage would last long enough to just work together without having to say anything.

I have been known to tear up when my kids finally learn something that they have been trying really hard to learn.

Ok after writing this there are alot of things that I cry about and this isn't even the whole list. Crying usually does not make me feel better, if it's over something happy then it just goes away, alot of times if it is about weddings I will stay sad since I am still upset about my wedding (which is completely ridiculous, but I can't seem to help it) and to get myself out of feeling sad or down I will sometimes read a book, other times I just have to wait for it to pass.

#11 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

I, too, cried over the miscarriages and years of infertility....but I cried at the eventual births of both of my children and many times over the years when they accomplished something wonderful or became injured or ill. I cried more than I ever thought I could when I was diagnosed with breast cancer because I thought I'd die without seeing my children graduate from college and get married, cried again when I learned it was invasive, and cried buckets last January when it recurred after four years of being cancerfree....because I thought it had spread and I would soon die. Thankfully (at least for now), it doesn't seem to have metastasized, but I feel as though I'm walking on eggshells all the time. Whenever I think that I may not be around long enough to welcome grandchildren or be there for my grown children when they need me, I still get weepy. However, I try to stay optimistic and upbeat....someday, I may feel as though it's all behind me for good.

Love2travel, I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Have you read about Curamin, a natural product that appears to be extremely helpful for people with debilitating, chronic back pain. I read an article about it in Woman's World magazine and bought some Curamin for my mom, and she raves about how it has helped her chronic back pain. Here's a link to that article:

http://www.europharm...ocuments/75.pdf

Lastly, I cry over the antics of puppies and kittens....and I cry when my special furry and feathered friends pass away. My eyes are welling up just at the memories of them...

Does crying help? Sometimes....but when I cry too hard, my eyes swell shut so that I can't go to work or even be seen outside the house. Perhaps this is a good thing, since then I have to remain inside and am forced to rest.

#12 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

Love2travel,

I just realized from reading another one of your posts that your spelling of certain words indicates that you probably don't live in the U.S. If you feel that you would like to try the Curamin, it costs about $32.00 with a coupon for a local health store, and I would be happy to purchase some and send it to you. If you happen to be an Aussie, my daughter lives in Sydney, and I often mail her packages...and I could send it along for her to mail it to you. I'll also be visiting Australia myself in November.

Just let me know....

#13 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

Love2travel,

I just realized from reading another one of your posts that your spelling of certain words indicates that you probably don't live in the U.S. If you feel that you would like to try the Curamin, it costs about $32.00 with a coupon for a local health store, and I would be happy to purchase some and send it to you. If you happen to be an Aussie, my daughter lives in Sydney, and I often mail her packages...and I could send it along for her to mail it to you. I'll also be visiting Australia myself in November.

Just let me know....

Correct! I live in Canada and use British spelling (i.e. "honour"). I read so many classic English books that I find myself using certain expressions and words such as "betwixt" and "whilst".

That Curamin sounds very interesting. I would be willing to do pretty much anything for my pain at this point. I have tried nearly 20 kinds of prescription painkillers, sleep aids, etc. to no avail. I will do a search and see if I can find it here! I was hoping that all the supplements I take would help but so far only the magnesium helps my calf pain - nothing for my back/shoulders/hips/pelvis. Dumb injury! :( Thanks so much for mentioning the Curamin. I would love to try it. :)

#14 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

When I saw this thread, my thoughts immediately turned to this piece -- the one thing that, after having read it many, many times through the years, while going through the toughest bouts of grieving over the beloved dogs that I have been blessed to have, still brings me to tears:

http://www.indigo.or...ridge_ver2.html
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#15 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

http://www.indigo.or...ridge_ver2.html

I just finished watching this again, as I have through the years, and I've STILL got tears streaming down my face. .. .....

:rolleyes:
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: