This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Know Of A Forum For Food Allergys Linked With Behavior?

mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I just don't know what to do for the school year. Do I try to allow it to be fed to him in moderation or just say he can't have it period? He gets mean and has no self control when he eats it. Grandma fed him a big slurpy that was red today and when they got home, I knew something was wrong by his behavior. If you know of a forum dealing with this that could hel me, please let me know. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brigitam Newbie

This site has great info but I don't know if it is the same in America as it is here in Australia. I would assume it is. Good luck. Brigit

Open Original Shared Link

Mizzo Enthusiast

Have you ever had him tested? My friends daughter is allergic to Red dye and it started as behaviour issue's and turned quickly into anaphalactic allergy? I think the older the girl got the more she ingested and they became aware of the reaction more obviously.

How do I get him tested for food dye? Two days ago he went into an itch session for hours with an itchy mouth driving him nuts with lots of crying. We didn't know what it was from. He was sweeping leaves right before. So we think it was some kind of allergy to plants. We are going to ask for an epipen to be on the safe side.

StephanieL Enthusiast

There aren't proteins in food dyes, so it isn't technically an "allergy" but an intolerance. Most traditional Dr's won't test for them but you may be able to find a Do or Chiro who would test for them.

Open Original Shared Link

Skylark Collaborator

You might check out the Feingold Diet website. They know a lot about kids and food chemical sensitivities. Open Original Shared Link

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Fedupwithfoodadditives.com is an excellent site. You may find he is allergic or intolerant to other foods too...like salicylates...and that would then add in yellow food coloring, tartrazine, annatto, and the benzoates which are in almost all carbonated flavored pop and in some juices too.

My son and I have Celiac/Gluten Intolerance in addition to the Salicylates intolerance. Red and yellow food dyes are awful...He gets asthma...I get hives...both of us get bad moods.

Keep eliminating and exploring. You will figure it out.

NO...I would not let the teacher give him treats with red food coloring. He will be miserable and so will everyone around him. If it effects his moods, it will also effect his relationships with people...and that would not be worth saving the school teacher the inconvenience of giving it to him. Good luck, it is really hard to figure all this stuff out...but once you do then you know what to avoid and your life can be better and so can his!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

My husband wants him to have it because he does not realize how bad he behaves when he has it. The teachers usually pass out the cup cakes right out the door or the last 5 minutes of class. So they don't experience the behavior. I approached the school last yr and they don't want to change anything. Holliday parties are super out of hand. Every mom brings a cake and they are all served. The teachers leave it up to the parents and take no responsibility for it. Two wonderful parents took a responsible approach in dd's class with parties, not so in son's class. Thanks for listening.

I'd at least like the teacher to tell me when he is served a cup cake and the colors and in a perfect world she'd tell me the day before what is being brought so I could plan accordingly. The teacher last yr refused. Lets pray for a better year. I have a signed medical note in his file for food dyes and sugar. What are my rights and how do I learn what they are? I am in CA?

bartfull Rising Star

I think you will have to get "mean". If it is in his file at school that he can't have this, and his teacher refuses to see to it that he doesn't, he/she is courting a lawsuit for himself, and for the school. If you just tell him AND the school administation that, I bet you'll see results!

domesticactivist Collaborator

Our approach when the kids are in that kind of setting is to put it in writing and only allow our kid to have food from home. You should be able to get a list of party days from the teacher and send him a treat he can have.

Archived