Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Does Anyone Know Of A Forum For Food Allergys Linked With Behavior?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

I just don't know what to do for the school year. Do I try to allow it to be fed to him in moderation or just say he can't have it period? He gets mean and has no self control when he eats it. Grandma fed him a big slurpy that was red today and when they got home, I knew something was wrong by his behavior. If you know of a forum dealing with this that could hel me, please let me know. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 brigitam

brigitam

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

This site has great info but I don't know if it is the same in America as it is here in Australia. I would assume it is. Good luck. Brigit
http://www.fedupwith...additives.info/

#3 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Have you ever had him tested? My friends daughter is allergic to Red dye and it started as behaviour issue's and turned quickly into anaphalactic allergy? I think the older the girl got the more she ingested and they became aware of the reaction more obviously.

#4 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

How do I get him tested for food dye? Two days ago he went into an itch session for hours with an itchy mouth driving him nuts with lots of crying. We didn't know what it was from. He was sweeping leaves right before. So we think it was some kind of allergy to plants. We are going to ask for an epipen to be on the safe side.

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

There aren't proteins in food dyes, so it isn't technically an "allergy" but an intolerance. Most traditional Dr's won't test for them but you may be able to find a Do or Chiro who would test for them.

Dye "allergies"

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

You might check out the Feingold Diet website. They know a lot about kids and food chemical sensitivities. http://www.feingold.org/

#7 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Fedupwithfoodadditives.com is an excellent site. You may find he is allergic or intolerant to other foods too...like salicylates...and that would then add in yellow food coloring, tartrazine, annatto, and the benzoates which are in almost all carbonated flavored pop and in some juices too.

My son and I have Celiac/Gluten Intolerance in addition to the Salicylates intolerance. Red and yellow food dyes are awful...He gets asthma...I get hives...both of us get bad moods.

Keep eliminating and exploring. You will figure it out.
NO...I would not let the teacher give him treats with red food coloring. He will be miserable and so will everyone around him. If it effects his moods, it will also effect his relationships with people...and that would not be worth saving the school teacher the inconvenience of giving it to him. Good luck, it is really hard to figure all this stuff out...but once you do then you know what to avoid and your life can be better and so can his!
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#8 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

My husband wants him to have it because he does not realize how bad he behaves when he has it. The teachers usually pass out the cup cakes right out the door or the last 5 minutes of class. So they don't experience the behavior. I approached the school last yr and they don't want to change anything. Holliday parties are super out of hand. Every mom brings a cake and they are all served. The teachers leave it up to the parents and take no responsibility for it. Two wonderful parents took a responsible approach in dd's class with parties, not so in son's class. Thanks for listening.

I'd at least like the teacher to tell me when he is served a cup cake and the colors and in a perfect world she'd tell me the day before what is being brought so I could plan accordingly. The teacher last yr refused. Lets pray for a better year. I have a signed medical note in his file for food dyes and sugar. What are my rights and how do I learn what they are? I am in CA?

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

I think you will have to get "mean". If it is in his file at school that he can't have this, and his teacher refuses to see to it that he doesn't, he/she is courting a lawsuit for himself, and for the school. If you just tell him AND the school administation that, I bet you'll see results!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

Our approach when the kids are in that kind of setting is to put it in writing and only allow our kid to have food from home. You should be able to get a list of party days from the teacher and send him a treat he can have.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: