This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wisconsin Celiacs Unite!

frenchiemama

jams Explorer

Carol - PNS is still expensive. I think in general health food is expensive. However, it is handy. They have the Amy's frozen meals. That is great for me for lunches. They are about $4.00. The bread is $5.00 and Amy's Cheese Pizza is $6.50. I love it for the convenience. We are always on the go. It is great to make and know that I will be gluten-free and safe! :D

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kbtoyssni Contributor

I live in Wisconsin. I'm from Mukwonago and just recently diagnosed celiac disease. Thanks for the info on the Milwaukee celiac disease group - I might check them out!

jams Explorer
I live in Wisconsin.  I'm from Mukwonago and just recently diagnosed celiac disease.  Thanks for the info on the Milwaukee celiac disease group - I might check them out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi and Welcome!

We are pretty close. I am from Dousman. Just curious who diagnosed you and what office they are from. Dr. Medhi from Medical Associates diagnosed me from an EGD scope looking for ulcers. I am just curious where other people from Waukesha County are getting a dx.

Thanks!

Carol Petry Newbie
Carol - PNS is still expensive.  I think in general health food is expensive.  However, it is handy.  They have the Amy's frozen meals.  That is great for me for lunches.  They are about $4.00.  The bread is $5.00 and Amy's Cheese Pizza is $6.50.  I love it for the convenience.  We are always on the go.  It is great to make and know that I will be gluten-free and safe! :D

Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Angi - I have found I cannot eat the gluten-free breads out there because of yeast or malt flavoring, which is also a no-no for me. I've been experimenting with different flours from the gluten-free breadmaker cookbook by Bette Hagman with limited success so far. Also good is Kinni-Kwik bread/bisquit mix. CP B)

Cher202 Newbie

Hi!

I also live in Chippewa Falls WI. We moved here last July and really love it.

I belong to a celiac support group from Minnesota because when we lived there I just renewed my membership and I wanted to keep it up because they have a great newsletter. I was told there is a celiac support group in Bloomer WI which is about 12 miles from here, but I have never gone. I love this website it is very informative. :D

frenchiemama Collaborator

Are you kidding me?? You live in Chip-away falls?? Why on earth would you move here? :blink: (j/k)

I haven't been to the bloomer support group yet, because I was told that they don't meet in the summer, but a lady from my doctor's office goes there and is really happy with it.

In case anyone is wondering, Chippewa has a population of about 13K and it's like finding a needle in a haystack to hear from someone else on the 'net from the same place. Or someone who has even heard of it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cher202 Newbie

Hi!

We moved to Chippewa Falls because my husband took a job in Eau Claire with his company and we had a chance to move. The town we used to live in was very small only one grocery store a Ben Franklin store and that was about it. If you wanted to go to Walmart you had to drive 40 miles away the same with the movie theater it was also 40 miles away needless to say it is a vast improvement from the town we were living in. Our house was also in a flood plain and we were flooded twice within 3 years. I don't miss that town at all, although the people were really nice and we had great neighbors. We are building our first house here in town and and are really excited and my kids love their schools.

Cheryl

What side of town are you building on? We live on the south side, but below the hill (you know, in the slums LOL).

Where do you grocery shop usually? Gordy's has a reasonable gluten-free selection, but you couldn't pay me enough to buy meat or produce there (I can't tell you how many times my mom and I have gotten spoiled meat or produce there. It's unreal). I don't really shop there at all unless I have to, Gordy Schafer goes to my mom's church and I just can't stand the guy. I don't want to give him any of my money.

My favorite place to shop is Festival foods in Eau Claire. They have a good selection, including a double freezer case w/ lots of Grandma Ferdon's stuff. If you go during the day on a weekday, you can usually find the lady who is in charge of the dept (her name is Charlotte) and she will try to get a product in for you if you ask her.

I can't remember how long you said you had lived here, but I've been here since '89 so I know all the good gossip! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cher202 Newbie

Hi!

We are building our house on First Ave. if you drive by it is the one with the cedar sided front and the sage green on the back. We have lived here for a year now.

I have not shopped at Festival Foods in Eau Claire yet. I'm not exactly sure where that is. I'm not to familar with Eau Claire but I'm willing to drive anywhere to get a bargain on gluten-free products. Right now we are living on Mansfield St in a rental house, we have great neighbors and are going to miss them when we leave but we have some nice neighbors by our new house so we feel very fortunate. I to have had some bad experience with Gordys meat and fruit. Its kind of weird that you said that. I won't buy any meat there anymore, I usually go to Pick N Save for that. I think its neat that I met somebody from the same town on the computer it truly is a small world. :D

Oh, you must live close to my MIL! She lives on Stanley Street. Do you live up closer by the high school?

If you ever want me to go with you to Eau Claire and show you around, let me know! I'd be happy to. I'll PM you with my phone number and email if you ever want to.

• 1 month later...
mpuchalla Newbie

Try this bakery in Egan MN, They have the best gluten-free bread we have found and is made in a gluten-free environment.

Open Original Shared Link

• 1 month later...
Kelly Langenfeld Newbie

Anyone out there from Racine, WI?

--Kelly Langenfeld

Diagnosed 2/2004 blood & biopsy

• 1 month later...
Ducky Newbie

Hey y'all. I hope it's okay I'm posting in here as I'm not an adult (although I'm nearly one...17).

Anyways. I'm from southern Wisconsin, south of Milwaukee about 10 miles, in a town ironically named South Milwaukee. Wow, there's some creative naming there.

I'm not officially diagnosed with celiac's but I don't eat gluten if at all avoidable and I feel a lot better for it.

I'm so glad there are other gluten-free-ers from Wisconsin on here!!

-Ducky

PS I've heard of Chippewa Falls!! I've even BEEN there!! Yay :D

Guest barbara3675

For the young person that just entered a comment before me-----There is a store near you called the Gluten Free Trading Company that has all gluten-free food. It is very out of the way for me to go to when I am in your area, but should be very handy for you. If you ever get to the Hartland area, look up Molly's Gluten Free Bakery, haven't been there myself, but my son says that the baked goods they have gotten there are just delicious. It is run by an Amish family with children that have celiac disease. Best wishes to you....there is a lot out there if you just make the effort to find it. The Whole Foods Store on University Avenue near the campus in Madison has the best gluten-free bread I have tasted. The cinnamon raisin and peasant breads are so very good. Barbara

Ducky Newbie

To the person who posted about the Gluten Free Trading Company... Thank you very much!! I'll definitely check that out!!!

kikis Newbie
Hi Angi!

I live in Chippewa Falls, which is in the northwestern part of the state. My dad lives in Madison though, so I get to visit him and go to whole foods and my newest find, the Silly Yak bakery. I haven't tried anything from the S Y bakery yet, but it looks good!

Open Original Shared Link

Wow, I can't believe I found someone that lives close to me! I live in Eau Claire. I moved here a little over two years ago and I haven't found anyone with Celiac Disease around here. I moved from La Crosse and there was at least a support group there. I also shop at Festival Foods. It's the only place around that I know of that has the most gluten-free products. There is a bakery in West Salem that makes gluten-free items. I am ordering my gluten-free wedding cake from them. It's called Linda's Bakery. Very good! :D

Kikis, I just sent you a private message!

jen3899 Apprentice

I live in Sparta, its close to La Crosse and West Salem, I had no idea that Lindas had anything gluten-free, but I dont think I could trust it anyways since their main products is not gluten-free.

• 1 month later...
angielackner Contributor

hi...i live in oregon, WI (about 10 mins south of madison)...i just recenty went to u-bake and got some of grandma ferron's stuff...oh my gosh i missed buns for my hotdogs and donut holes...wow! so much stuff to try. i want to try her buttermilk bread next to see how it compares to whole foods sandwich bread.

anyways, i have been gluten-free for a year now after a negative diagnosis for celiac (both blood and biopsy)...but my doc said i could still have it cuz things "looked" like celiac, and we might have just "missed" with the biopsy. so we'll see how i feel later as most of the year gluten-free has been spent pregnant (i am 35 weeks preg) and have been sick the whole time...so i am looking forward to seeing how i do on the gluten-free diet over the next 6-12 months or so. i think its the right diet for me :)

angie

barbara3675 Rookie

Angie, there is an Outback Steakhouse near Eastowne Mall and Westowne Mall that has a gluten-free menu. When you go out next time, you should try it. I live in VERY northern Wisconsin, but my home is Janesville and I come down as often as I can. I would like to try Outback sometime. I hear their food is great and they have a chocolate gluten-free dessert that is to-die-for. Did you notice that over 2000 people have checked out this Wisconsin site? Barbara

mylady4 Rookie

Hello fellow Wisconsinites,

My name is Nicole and I live north Wheeler close to hwy 64 on 25. (if you know where Wheeler is you really know the state). I was just diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. I am 32, go to UW-Stout part time for an engineering degree, work nights, work out, have two kids (14 and a 7 year old disabled daughter) a fantastic wonderful super supportive husband, 4 horses, 3 cats, 2 goats, 1 dog, 1 hedgehog and 1 fish who will not die. My doctor said that stress can cause intestinal problems. I just laughed and said stress, what stress, I do not have any stress in my life.

All of my problems started about a year and a half ago. I was on Atkins for about 1 1/2 years and managed to lose about 75 pounds and then it stopped when I changed eating plans. That is when the problems started. At first I was gassy, then got constipated. I finally went to the doctor and she did a bunch of test and thought it was IBS, put on Zelnorm, did not work. Still felt like crap for about six months and finally went back in January. She did some more blood test and on the follow up told me she thought I had celiac disease. She was so happy, not in that I had the disease but that we finally found out what was wrong and it was treatable. I stopped wheat that day and started to feel better. She then told me that I had to eat wheat again for a month so I could have a biopsy. I made it four days before I called back and said you have three weeks, then I am done. Needless to say I had my biopsy last week (waiting for results). She just could not see making me suffer for weeks and the GI agreed. He even said that there is a chance that this could back negative and asked if I was going to go back to a normal diet if it was negative. I think I asked him if he was nuts. I was already used to not eating certain foods so now I really have an excuse of why not to eat stuff.

Someone told me that there was a support group in Eau Claire. I will have to talk to the GI or my doctor about this (I doctor through the Marshfeild network, since that is originally we are from). I am not worried about missing a certain food, just trying to avoid foods that have hidden gluten in them. I think that that will be the hardest. We tried to put my youngest on a wheat free and dairy free diet for about three months to see if it would help her with her mood and it did not work so I am familiar with cooking wheat free. When I tell people that I can not eat wheat, the first thing that they say it that they could never do that. I just tell them when you feel as bad as I do, you would stop. I am just hoping now that I can lose the last 25 pounds I have. I have worked to hard and to just have it stop for the past year has been torture. I am also sideline for a bit with brusitis in the hips (too much running) and some arthritis in them.

Hope this was not too long. I have spring break this week so I actually have some time to be on the computer during the week. I am looking forward to hearing from others and finding some places to eat out. My husband and I try to get together 2-3 times a month to go out and eat during the day with no kids (he works weekends at the Walmart DC).

TTKN

Nicole

Mongoose Rookie
Angie, there is an Outback Steakhouse near Eastowne Mall and Westowne Mall that has a gluten-free menu. When you go out next time, you should try it. I live in VERY northern Wisconsin, but my home is Janesville and I come down as often as I can. I would like to try Outback sometime. I hear their food is great and they have a chocolate gluten-free dessert that is to-die-for.

Outback is good! But when you order the vegetables plain they always try to talk you into ordering them the regular way since they "only put a little butter" on them. Don't fall for that one! Even once when I ordered them plain and the waitress wrote "gluten free" on the top of the order, the kitchen messed it up and I was running to the bathroom before I got out of the restaurant. So maybe stick with the baked potatoes or sweet potatoes which they don't mess up instead of the vegetables.

angielackner Contributor

outback was actually the first restaurant i ate at after going gluten-free...they were wonderful...i did think however that the veggies were a little bland...i wont be getting those again...but we went there for my birthday a year ago (this year we went to biaggi's :D )...and i had the filet...and then was sooooooooo pleasantly surprised that the brownie there was gluten-free...man was that wonderful! outback was really nice, and i will definitely go there again...my hubby and i just need to work on not blowing our food budget on fast food so often so we can actually go to nicer restaurants :P

angie

Hello fellow Wisconsinites,

My name is Nicole and I live north Wheeler close to hwy 64 on 25. (if you know where Wheeler is you really know the state). I was just diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. I am 32, go to UW-Stout part time for an engineering degree, work nights, work out, have two kids (14 and a 7 year old disabled daughter) a fantastic wonderful super supportive husband, 4 horses, 3 cats, 2 goats, 1 dog, 1 hedgehog and 1 fish who will not die. My doctor said that stress can cause intestinal problems. I just laughed and said stress, what stress, I do not have any stress in my life.

All of my problems started about a year and a half ago. I was on Atkins for about 1 1/2 years and managed to lose about 75 pounds and then it stopped when I changed eating plans. That is when the problems started. At first I was gassy, then got constipated. I finally went to the doctor and she did a bunch of test and thought it was IBS, put on Zelnorm, did not work. Still felt like crap for about six months and finally went back in January. She did some more blood test and on the follow up told me she thought I had celiac disease. She was so happy, not in that I had the disease but that we finally found out what was wrong and it was treatable. I stopped wheat that day and started to feel better. She then told me that I had to eat wheat again for a month so I could have a biopsy. I made it four days before I called back and said you have three weeks, then I am done. Needless to say I had my biopsy last week (waiting for results). She just could not see making me suffer for weeks and the GI agreed. He even said that there is a chance that this could back negative and asked if I was going to go back to a normal diet if it was negative. I think I asked him if he was nuts. I was already used to not eating certain foods so now I really have an excuse of why not to eat stuff.

Someone told me that there was a support group in Eau Claire. I will have to talk to the GI or my doctor about this (I doctor through the Marshfeild network, since that is originally we are from). I am not worried about missing a certain food, just trying to avoid foods that have hidden gluten in them. I think that that will be the hardest. We tried to put my youngest on a wheat free and dairy free diet for about three months to see if it would help her with her mood and it did not work so I am familiar with cooking wheat free. When I tell people that I can not eat wheat, the first thing that they say it that they could never do that. I just tell them when you feel as bad as I do, you would stop. I am just hoping now that I can lose the last 25 pounds I have. I have worked to hard and to just have it stop for the past year has been torture. I am also sideline for a bit with brusitis in the hips (too much running) and some arthritis in them.

Hope this was not too long. I have spring break this week so I actually have some time to be on the computer during the week. I am looking forward to hearing from others and finding some places to eat out. My husband and I try to get together 2-3 times a month to go out and eat during the day with no kids (he works weekends at the Walmart DC).

TTKN

Nicole

You have to be effin' kidding me! I go to Stout for Manufacturing Engineering (only 3 classes left after this semester). I think I have met all the other female students in ME though, Erin, myself, Andrea, and Pauline (although I think there are some freshmen I'm not familiar with). Are you in ME or a different program? Did you go to the SWE meeting last week? (PS I know where Wheeler is)

Archived