155 replies to this topic

#136 TearzaRose

TearzaRose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

Hey! I'm new here , newly diagnosed, and I'm from Wisconsin! a little town right off I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee.
I'm heading to Pick N Save in Oconomowoc today to get some gluten free items. YAY!
gluten intolerant
lactose intolerant
casein intolerant
egg intolerant
corn intolerant
soy sensitive

mom has rheumatic fever along with other serious GI issues that have yet to be diagnosed.

father is lactose intolerant

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#137 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

I am in Kenosha, and new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated =)
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

#138 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

I'm north of Hudson. I love Fresh and Natural in Hudson for shopping for gluten free foods. They mark their price tags with red if it's gluten free. So there's no guessing or reading labels.

I'm adopting Grandma Ferdon and her family! Love their products. I have about 30 packages of her lefse stored in my freezer. They make excellent wraps for sandwiches. Her pizza crust is the best I've found.

Northland Celiac Support Group meets at 6:45pm at the Hudson Hospital on the third Tuesday of the month. I have attend yet. Contact Cheri Rott 715-531-6467 for more info.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#139 sixtytwo

sixtytwo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

It's hard when you live in a remote part of the state like I do............Conover, which is nearly all the way to the UP, by Land O Lakes. Fortunately a couple of the stores up here have Bob's Red Mill products which I like and I make due with cooking gluten-free otherwise. I shop for the other things when I go to Janesville pretty often. Restaurants are becomng so famliar with the situation, even up here, that it really is not a problem for me anymore. Maybe that is a nice thing about living in a small place, people know you so well, that they just are so kind that they make sure your food is gluten-free. One thing for sure, you must make it well known and stick up for yourself. It is a continual education process. Do all of your know about Biaggi's in Madison? They have a large gluten-free menu and really nice food and service---they feature Italian cuisine. Their gluten-free pasta is a spinach one and it is really good. Another good place to eat in Madison, actually it is Middleton------Imperial Gardens on University Avenue. They also will cook just about anything on their menu gluten-free and and serve you gluten-free soy sauce. The service there is really nice, too. Noodles Inc. has rice noodles---I LOVE that place and of course, there is Changs............their lettuce wraps are my favorite. Another good place is Flat Top Grill near Hilldale, you pick out your food and they will grill it for you and they are very aware of the gluten thing. Happy eating. Barbara

#140 TearzaRose

TearzaRose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:28 AM

sixty two-
thanks for all that great restaurant info!!! very good to know. :)
gluten intolerant
lactose intolerant
casein intolerant
egg intolerant
corn intolerant
soy sensitive

mom has rheumatic fever along with other serious GI issues that have yet to be diagnosed.

#141 jaydensmommy

jaydensmommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi! I'm also from Wisconsin. We are from Warrens. My family is from Janesville and they are bringing me up food from Basic's food store. Another food store we found was in Lacrosse. The people's food co-op. We were told last week that my 2 year old son has Celiac disease. We are having alot of trouble because he is a really picky eater. I see that they have a book to help with shopping does anyone use this? I didn't know if it is worth the money or not. If anyone has any advice that would be great! :D

#142 FarmCat

FarmCat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hi, fellow Wisconsinites! I'm in Kenosha, just like FoodieGurl. Gurl, have you found any local support groups yet? I have just barely begun to look.

I DID come across a store in Milwaukee called the Gluten-Free Trading Company. Their ENTIRE STORE is gluten-free, plus they mail-order. I remember reading that they also have a casein-free area. I don't have any direct experience with them yet, but I'll be making a trip there soon. Here's their link: http://www.food4celiacs.com/

#143 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Hi, fellow Wisconsinites! I'm in Kenosha, just like FoodieGurl. Gurl, have you found any local support groups yet? I have just barely begun to look.

I DID come across a store in Milwaukee called the Gluten-Free Trading Company. Their ENTIRE STORE is gluten-free, plus they mail-order. I remember reading that they also have a casein-free area. I don't have any direct experience with them yet, but I'll be making a trip there soon. Here's their link: http://www.food4celiacs.com/

Hi FarmCat..i just sent you a message =)

I am actually going to go check out that store next week sometime, thanks for the link. I did go to Whole Foods today in Northbrook and picked up tons of gluten-free pasta and cookies from the bakery :P

I have not found a local support group either. I though I found one, and emailed the contact and got a response saying they are no longer a group...oops.

Anne
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

#144 TearzaRose

TearzaRose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:03 AM

wow, that store looks awesome! .....just wish it wasn't 60 miles away! guess i'll have to shop online. thanks for posting the link.
:)
gluten intolerant
lactose intolerant
casein intolerant
egg intolerant
corn intolerant
soy sensitive

#145 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

What city are you from? Any good Wisconsin gluten-free resources?

These posts made me homesick! I live in Ohio, now,but I went to Oshkosh high, my firstborn was born in Oconomowoc,, and I moved here from Lake Kegonsa ( near Stoughton, just south of Madison). I miss Wisconsin- I don't miss the weather! Have a great day. Part of my heart is still there! susan

#146 TearzaRose

TearzaRose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

These posts made me homesick! I live in Ohio, now,but I went to Oshkosh high, my firstborn was born in Oconomowoc,, and I moved here from Lake Kegonsa ( near Stoughton, just south of Madison). I miss Wisconsin- I don't miss the weather! Have a great day. Part of my heart is still there! susan

I was born in Oconomowoc, too. :)
Wisconsin is a great state, despite the extremes in weather!
gluten intolerant
lactose intolerant
casein intolerant
egg intolerant
corn intolerant
soy sensitive

#147 burkev

burkev

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

FYI:
I live in oconomowoc, work in madison and find that there is a bounty of options for gluten-free food in grocery stores and gluten-free restaurants.
Stores:
Whole foods has the largest selection...don't shop the gluten-free aisle only...lot's of choices in snacks , pastas, box brownie and corn bread mixes, frozen section plus their own bakehouse gluten-free items.
The best Whole Foods is east side milwaukee ...north ave. and prospect ave.....has largest store and largest selection / variety.

Woodmans....madison locations have just taken on a larger frozen bakery section...life beyond wheat from antigo, decent sized dry goods ie: all the Chebe mixes...some bulk gluten-free flours but should be available in Kenosha and Milwaukee.
Chebe is a great substitute for a an italian roll ...of course nothing beats an italian beef from tenutas in Kenosha or a nice baguette from paiellis...but chebe comes close , easy enough to make( I really miss a nice italian sausage from tenutas for the ride home...yum-o)

Natural Outpost foods....tosa and bayview locations...smaller variety but a bit of each , dry , frozen, bulk...excellent yougurt...Nancy's

Pick n' Save....very inconsistent.....I've been in five different PNS this past two weeks...no consistency in availability...even in the same city....one of their largest stores ...No gluten-free section at all ??
odd story here about PNS....I was eating at a Noodles in december and the teen girl taking my order said"oh...you too ...I'm celiac also" I asked her where she thought the best stores were for gluten-free was and she said "we go to whole foods a lot...even though my dad works for PNS ...he's a buyer for them " ???? odd..the largest grocer in metro milwaukee....smallest gluten-free section

can't remember the name of this one....There is a newer store at the strip center right behind the Gasthaus at Silvernail and Hwy. T in waukesha....just off the I-94 and hwy "t" exit...nice selection Grandma Ferdon's dry and frozen goods even has gluten-free chow mein noodles, good prices,on snack bars, pastas, spices and mixes.

Silly Yak bakery in madison is just about finished with their dedicated gluten-free bakery addition...so it won't be limited to just two gluten-free bake days per week....excellent product

My favorite bakery is Molly's gluten-free bakery in Pewaukee...closer to hartland actually.....located just a minute off Hwy. 16 and Jungbluth road in the basement ofa large former dairy barn....sharing space with a winery....pre- order is a good idea....pita style breads , excellent hamburger buns, TWINKIES, cupcakes, fruit bars , brownies, cookies and made to order birthday cakes...excellent pie crust or pizza crusts for the single person on the go......true to the bakeries of old though....sell outs are usually the case in the world of fresh baked goods

I'll post about restaurants later....gotta sleep nowwwwwwwwww. shalom , kevin

#148 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

Just needed to check the "Enable email notification of replies" box.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#149 labsr4me2

labsr4me2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hello everyone,
I live in Delavan, WI. I have yet to be officially diagnosed. I did post some questions and my symptoms in the "pre diagnosed" section. If anyone feels like reading and helping with their advise. I would greatly appreciate it.

#150 cheeztrain

cheeztrain

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

Newly diagnosed Celiac In Madison here. Love this site excellent info.

Curt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: