This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wisconsin Celiacs Unite!

frenchiemama

jcc Rookie

Hello fellow Kenoshans and Wisconsinites!

I was born in Milwaukee, grew up in Greendale, attended UWM, and have resided in Kenosha for the last 20+ years.

I've been gluten free for eight years, along with my 13 year old daughter. I've been busy advocating about gluten sensitivity ever since we realized my daughter has gluten sensitivity. She doesn't have celiac disease, but had GI, skin, and neurological symptoms related to gluten. Try googling The Gluten File and it tells her story..can't post the link here.

I don't post here very often anymore, but I browse occasionally... and felt compelled to post on this Wisconsin thread! Anyway, I would be happy to help any of you who are new to this, especially those living in Kenosha.... so don't hesitate to contact me via email Open Original Shared Link I've learned a lot over eight years ;).

For those in Kenosha looking for a support group... the Milwaukee Sprue Crew meets at the north side library every couple of months~ you can contact Bev Lieven. I attended a few meetings in the beginning, but just find online support groups easier! A local group can certainly help with best doctors, best places to shop, and have a more personal touch.

Here is a listing of WI CSA support groups... including Milwaukee's group.

Open Original Shared Link

And websites of two other WI groups:

East Central Wisconsin Gluten Free Group - Open Original Shared Link

Wausau Celiac Support - Open Original Shared Link

I also received this not long ago... looks like a group may be starting up in Racine as well.

Racine Celiacs
  • 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RaeinWI Newbie
:( I am from Wisconsin and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy my Gluten free food. I am having a hard time finding places... Thanks

Winniepooh, I grew up in Antigo and now live in Wausau! Pm if you would like to chat! I am newer to this diet and would love to get more tips/suggestions.

summerteeth Enthusiast

I'm actually from northern Illinois (just south of Beloit, WI), but my parents have a place in Hazelhurst & we go to Hayward a lot (Grandma Ferdon's is awesome). Let me just say you Wisconsinites have much better gluten-free shopping than we do here (unless I trek to Chicago).

-- Monica

• 1 year later...
Jez19 Newbie

Hi a new town at add in! I'm from Cadott, well originally for New York but it's a long story. I live in Cadott and work in Eau Claire. I just learned that I have a gluten intolerance and my best course of action may be a gluten free diet and stick along the lines those with celiacs have. I have a best friend with celiacs so luckily I know what I'm looking for. The problem is...does anyone know where I can get a lot of gluten free food? Also anyone know of any restaurants I can eat at?

• 2 weeks later...
pondy Contributor

What city are you from? Any good Wisconsin gluten-free resources?

West Bend (formerly Milwaukee) here!

I can't believe my little town has 2 cafes with gluten free menu items :D

One is called Grasshopper (excellent pancakes) & the other is Cafe Sourette (sp?) - haven't been there yet, but the chef reports to have mostly gluten free dishes. There was a write up about her place in the Milw. Journal/Sentinel some time back.

Mostly I just shop at Woodman's for the basics. Hopefully my garden will do me well in the coming months!

Best,

Pondy

• 1 year later...
akirabee Newbie

I live in the Watertown, WI area 6 mos., SW Florida 6 mos. Found a good source of fg food in Watertown, but now find I cannot tolerate anything with yeast. All my good bread recipes contain yeast. Any suggestions? Carol

Carol,

I am from Ashippun (north of Oconomowoc), but I went to high school in Watertown.

Best suggestion: Stay away from Pick N Save. They don't have a great selection and people don't have a clue if you ask about it. I haven't checked out the Piggly Wiggly there, but I work at the one In Oconomowoc,and there is part of an aisle dedicated to Gluten free, as well as some other stuff scattered around the store.

There is also a store called Back to the Best ( Open Original Shared Link) that is an organic store run on a family's farm just north of Neosho (east on N off of 67). They carry a brand called Sami's Bakery that is by far better than any store bought bread and are usually made from millet and flax seed.. It isn't guaranteed Gluten free just because of a chance of contact during production, but ingredients-wise it is Gluten and dairy free. The bread comes in all different flavors and also different forms (rolls, tortillas, bagels, etc). If you make it there, definitley get the cinnamon raisin bagels. They're phenomenal and almost addicting.

This also goes for anyone wanting tortillas. This brand has them, and they a a bit more crumbly than normal flour tortillas, but taste better. Rolls too!

I don't have a recipe for bread itself, but for us further out this store is a better option than the loaves from the grocery store. (Better tasting too!)

-Erika

Archived