- - - - -

Wisconsin Celiacs Unite!

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_barbara3675_*

Guest_barbara3675_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:17 AM

Frenchiemama---what day are you going to Madison in September? I will be down there in the southern part of the state beginning September 6. I will be driving down that day. On the 7th I have plans for a luncheon with friends, but woudn't it be fun to meet at the bakery face-to-face? If you could meet me on Thursday 9/8 that would be neat. LMKnow.....if not, then hope it could be another time. Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hi All,

I'm not in your area (northern Wisconsin/northern Minnesota) any more, but I loved Grandma Ferdon's in Hayward. There is a company in Madison that makes great gluten-free veggie burgers that I think are only available in the upper Midwest--I miss the burgers.

Jeany, where can you eat out on the Range? When I'm there all I ever end up doing is eating a salad or baked potato, are there any good gluten-free friendly places to eat out? Does the co-op in Virginia still carry a fair amount of gluten-free foods?

Best to all, wish I was back up there!

#18 Nanjee

Nanjee

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:32 AM

Hi fellow 'Sconnies :)

I am from Green Bay as well.

Still getting used to being gluten free - and soy, lactose free.

The Festival grocery stores in Green Bay have a nice selection of gluten-free foods - as well as Woodman's supermarkets - their aisle #18 is Huge !!!!

My son lives a few blocks away from the Whole Foods Market in Madison - I am jealous !!!!

Good to see more Wisconsinites out there - and I look forward to getting to know you all better :)

Hugs, Nancy

PS: Frenchiemama - I LOVE your Frenchies !!! Beautiful dogs. How many do you have ??? Lucky person ;)

#19 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

Hi fellow 'Sconnies  :)

I am from Green Bay as well.

Still getting used to being gluten free - and soy, lactose free.

The Festival grocery stores in Green Bay have a nice selection of gluten-free foods - as well as Woodman's supermarkets - their aisle #18 is Huge !!!!

My son lives a few blocks away from the Whole Foods Market in Madison - I am jealous !!!!

Good to see more Wisconsinites out there - and I look forward to getting to know you all better  :)

Hugs, Nancy

PS: Frenchiemama - I LOVE your Frenchies !!!  Beautiful dogs.  How many do you have ???  Lucky person  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nancy, your son must live near my dad. My dad lives right off University on Stevens St (hope nobody stalks him now! ;) ).

Thanks for the dog compliment! I have three little FB's, and I just adore them. Two females and a male.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#20 jeany

jeany

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hi All,

I'm not in your area (northern Wisconsin/northern Minnesota) any more, but I loved Grandma Ferdon's in Hayward.  There is a company in Madison that makes great gluten-free veggie burgers that I think are only available in the upper Midwest--I miss the burgers.

Jeany, where can you eat out on the Range?  When I'm there all I ever end up doing is eating a salad or baked potato, are there any good gluten-free friendly places to eat out?  Does the co-op in Virginia still carry a fair amount of gluten-free foods?

Best to all, wish I was back up there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear Veggf;
Not really any places to eat that are safe in Virginia...You just take your chances..Yes the co-op has a large selection of gluten-free foods...I work there part-time as a buyer and have met a lot of customers that have gluten problems..My other job is at the clinic and it is neat for my co-workers to learn about this disease and try to understand it...Anyone out there close to Minnesota? I feel like I am in the wrong chat room..but you guys were the closest I could find...My sister lives in Hudson, Wisc. and she and her husband have an organic exporting/importing business and sell a lot of tapioca starch, so that is cool to have something in common with their business,, it helps me out :rolleyes: I went on a trip with them to South America 3 years ago and actually saw the tapioca (maniac) plant growing there. It is the best place for celiac people to live, because tapioca is their staple.
Best;
Jean

#21 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:03 AM

Jeany, I'm about 80 miles due east of the cities.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#22 Carol Petry

Carol Petry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:38 PM

I live in the Watertown, WI area 6 mos., SW Florida 6 mos. Found a good source of fg food in Watertown, but now find I cannot tolerate anything with yeast. All my good bread recipes contain yeast. Any suggestions? Carol

#23 Carol Petry

Carol Petry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

I live in the Watertown, WI area 6 mos., SW Florida 6 mos. Found a good source of gluten-free food in Watertown, but now find I cannot tolerate anything with yeast. All my good bread recipes contain yeast. Any suggestions? Carol

#24 jams

jams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:53 PM

Hi Carol!

I cannot help you with yeast free bread... But I did want to say hi!!

I am in Dousman. It is about 4 miles south of Oconomowoc. There are a lot of gluten-free items at the new Pick N Save in Oconomowoc. Also, if you get to Milwaukee, there is a Gluten Free Trading Company that has a lot to offer.

Sorry I couldn't help with the bread. Hopefully someone else can or try the store in Milwuakee.
Angi
Milw/Madison, Wisconsin
Diagnosed 12-2003 positive biopsy confirmed w/bloodwork
gluten-free from 5-2004

#25 Carol Petry

Carol Petry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Angie for the heads up on P N S in Oconomowoc, our local store has a very limited supply, and the stuff at the Health Food store is very expensive. Carol :D

#26 jams

jams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:55 AM

Carol - PNS is still expensive. I think in general health food is expensive. However, it is handy. They have the Amy's frozen meals. That is great for me for lunches. They are about $4.00. The bread is $5.00 and Amy's Cheese Pizza is $6.50. I love it for the convenience. We are always on the go. It is great to make and know that I will be gluten-free and safe! :D

Good luck!
Angi
Milw/Madison, Wisconsin
gluten-free from 5-2004

#27 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:14 AM

I live in Wisconsin. I'm from Mukwonago and just recently diagnosed celiac disease. Thanks for the info on the Milwaukee celiac disease group - I might check them out!
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#28 jams

jams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

I live in Wisconsin.  I'm from Mukwonago and just recently diagnosed celiac disease.  Thanks for the info on the Milwaukee celiac disease group - I might check them out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi and Welcome!

We are pretty close. I am from Dousman. Just curious who diagnosed you and what office they are from. Dr. Medhi from Medical Associates diagnosed me from an EGD scope looking for ulcers. I am just curious where other people from Waukesha County are getting a dx.

Thanks!
Angi
Milw/Madison, Wisconsin
gluten-free from 5-2004

#29 Carol Petry

Carol Petry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:21 AM

Carol - PNS is still expensive.  I think in general health food is expensive.  However, it is handy.  They have the Amy's frozen meals.  That is great for me for lunches.  They are about $4.00.  The bread is $5.00 and Amy's Cheese Pizza is $6.50.  I love it for the convenience.  We are always on the go.  It is great to make and know that I will be gluten-free and safe! :D

Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Angi - I have found I cannot eat the gluten-free breads out there because of yeast or malt flavoring, which is also a no-no for me. I've been experimenting with different flours from the gluten-free breadmaker cookbook by Bette Hagman with limited success so far. Also good is Kinni-Kwik bread/bisquit mix. CP B)

#30 Cher202

Cher202

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:30 PM

Hi!
I also live in Chippewa Falls WI. We moved here last July and really love it.
I belong to a celiac support group from Minnesota because when we lived there I just renewed my membership and I wanted to keep it up because they have a great newsletter. I was told there is a celiac support group in Bloomer WI which is about 12 miles from here, but I have never gone. I love this website it is very informative. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: