155 replies to this topic

#31 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

Are you kidding me?? You live in Chip-away falls?? Why on earth would you move here? :blink: (j/k)

I haven't been to the bloomer support group yet, because I was told that they don't meet in the summer, but a lady from my doctor's office goes there and is really happy with it.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

In case anyone is wondering, Chippewa has a population of about 13K and it's like finding a needle in a haystack to hear from someone else on the 'net from the same place. Or someone who has even heard of it.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#33 Cher202

Cher202

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

Hi!
We moved to Chippewa Falls because my husband took a job in Eau Claire with his company and we had a chance to move. The town we used to live in was very small only one grocery store a Ben Franklin store and that was about it. If you wanted to go to Walmart you had to drive 40 miles away the same with the movie theater it was also 40 miles away needless to say it is a vast improvement from the town we were living in. Our house was also in a flood plain and we were flooded twice within 3 years. I don't miss that town at all, although the people were really nice and we had great neighbors. We are building our first house here in town and and are really excited and my kids love their schools.
Cheryl

#34 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

What side of town are you building on? We live on the south side, but below the hill (you know, in the slums LOL).

Where do you grocery shop usually? Gordy's has a reasonable gluten-free selection, but you couldn't pay me enough to buy meat or produce there (I can't tell you how many times my mom and I have gotten spoiled meat or produce there. It's unreal). I don't really shop there at all unless I have to, Gordy Schafer goes to my mom's church and I just can't stand the guy. I don't want to give him any of my money.

My favorite place to shop is Festival foods in Eau Claire. They have a good selection, including a double freezer case w/ lots of Grandma Ferdon's stuff. If you go during the day on a weekday, you can usually find the lady who is in charge of the dept (her name is Charlotte) and she will try to get a product in for you if you ask her.

I can't remember how long you said you had lived here, but I've been here since '89 so I know all the good gossip! Let me know if you have any questions.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#35 Cher202

Cher202

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

Hi!
We are building our house on First Ave. if you drive by it is the one with the cedar sided front and the sage green on the back. We have lived here for a year now.
I have not shopped at Festival Foods in Eau Claire yet. I'm not exactly sure where that is. I'm not to familar with Eau Claire but I'm willing to drive anywhere to get a bargain on gluten-free products. Right now we are living on Mansfield St in a rental house, we have great neighbors and are going to miss them when we leave but we have some nice neighbors by our new house so we feel very fortunate. I to have had some bad experience with Gordys meat and fruit. Its kind of weird that you said that. I won't buy any meat there anymore, I usually go to Pick N Save for that. I think its neat that I met somebody from the same town on the computer it truly is a small world. :D

#36 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:04 AM

Oh, you must live close to my MIL! She lives on Stanley Street. Do you live up closer by the high school?

If you ever want me to go with you to Eau Claire and show you around, let me know! I'd be happy to. I'll PM you with my phone number and email if you ever want to.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#37 mpuchalla

mpuchalla

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:05 AM

Try this bakery in Egan MN, They have the best gluten-free bread we have found and is made in a gluten-free environment.
http://www.bittersweetgf.com/

#38 Kelly Langenfeld

Kelly Langenfeld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

Anyone out there from Racine, WI?

--Kelly Langenfeld
Diagnosed 2/2004 blood & biopsy

#39 Ducky

Ducky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:31 PM

Hey y'all. I hope it's okay I'm posting in here as I'm not an adult (although I'm nearly one...17).
Anyways. I'm from southern Wisconsin, south of Milwaukee about 10 miles, in a town ironically named South Milwaukee. Wow, there's some creative naming there.
I'm not officially diagnosed with celiac's but I don't eat gluten if at all avoidable and I feel a lot better for it.
I'm so glad there are other gluten-free-ers from Wisconsin on here!!

-Ducky
PS I've heard of Chippewa Falls!! I've even BEEN there!! Yay :D

#40 Guest_barbara3675_*

Guest_barbara3675_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:35 AM

For the young person that just entered a comment before me-----There is a store near you called the Gluten Free Trading Company that has all gluten-free food. It is very out of the way for me to go to when I am in your area, but should be very handy for you. If you ever get to the Hartland area, look up Molly's Gluten Free Bakery, haven't been there myself, but my son says that the baked goods they have gotten there are just delicious. It is run by an Amish family with children that have celiac disease. Best wishes to you....there is a lot out there if you just make the effort to find it. The Whole Foods Store on University Avenue near the campus in Madison has the best gluten-free bread I have tasted. The cinnamon raisin and peasant breads are so very good. Barbara

#41 Ducky

Ducky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

To the person who posted about the Gluten Free Trading Company... Thank you very much!! I'll definitely check that out!!!

#42 kikis

kikis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hi Angi!

I live in Chippewa Falls, which is in the northwestern part of the state. My dad lives in Madison though, so I get to visit him and go to whole foods and my newest find, the Silly Yak bakery. I haven't tried anything from the S Y bakery yet, but it looks good!

http://www.sillyyakb...glutenfree.html

Wow, I can't believe I found someone that lives close to me! I live in Eau Claire. I moved here a little over two years ago and I haven't found anyone with Celiac Disease around here. I moved from La Crosse and there was at least a support group there. I also shop at Festival Foods. It's the only place around that I know of that has the most gluten-free products. There is a bakery in West Salem that makes gluten-free items. I am ordering my gluten-free wedding cake from them. It's called Linda's Bakery. Very good! :D

#43 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

Kikis, I just sent you a private message!

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#44 jen3899

jen3899

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:53 AM

I live in Sparta, its close to La Crosse and West Salem, I had no idea that Lindas had anything gluten-free, but I dont think I could trust it anyways since their main products is not gluten-free.

#45 angielackner

angielackner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

hi...i live in oregon, WI (about 10 mins south of madison)...i just recenty went to u-bake and got some of grandma ferron's stuff...oh my gosh i missed buns for my hotdogs and donut holes...wow! so much stuff to try. i want to try her buttermilk bread next to see how it compares to whole foods sandwich bread.

anyways, i have been gluten-free for a year now after a negative diagnosis for celiac (both blood and biopsy)...but my doc said i could still have it cuz things "looked" like celiac, and we might have just "missed" with the biopsy. so we'll see how i feel later as most of the year gluten-free has been spent pregnant (i am 35 weeks preg) and have been sick the whole time...so i am looking forward to seeing how i do on the gluten-free diet over the next 6-12 months or so. i think its the right diet for me :)

angie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: