This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wisconsin Celiacs Unite!

frenchiemama

Camille Newbie

Any one know where I can get a GOOD wrap?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
frenchiemama Collaborator
Any one know where I can get a GOOD wrap?

:) I buy wraps at Festival Foods in Eau Claire - I think they are Food For Life Brand - they are made of rice and they are BIG - like a real tortilla and really good. They are better warmed in a fry pan too but are soo tasty compared to the corn ones and not that expensive. They are in the frozen gluten-free foods section.

Hi I live in Eau Claire area too - I heard we are getting an Outback soon! Where else do you eat out? I have had luck at Mona Lisas but that is about the only place. I iwll have to try Lindas Bakery not know about that at all! There are some gluten-free items at Copps here as well. There is a support group here thru the Marshfield Clinic but I stopped going as it was so much of an older crowd (not that I am so young - mid 30s). Camille

I just discovered this site and am not sure I am posting correctly but it is nice to see a Celiac site full of WI members!! Anyone know of anywhere to eat in Ashland WI - I will be headed up there next month for work.

I lived in Chippewa for years, but just last week my husband and I moved to the southside of Eau Claire (right off 37, near Silver Springs).

There is indeed going to be an outback in EC, it's behind Best Buy. My favorite place to eat is the Asian Cafe, it's on Eddy Lane (right across from Sam Davey school). They are sooo nice there and if you go in and explain what you can't have they are very good about it. I usually get Pad Thai (no brown sauce) or chicken Laahb.

Noodles and Company is also ok, the Pad Thai and Bangkok Curry are gluten-free as-is, but you can ask for other things to be prepared with rice noodles. Just make sure to say "I need this to be allergy-aware for wheat" and it's no problem.

Famous Dave's has roasted chicken that is ok.

Camille Newbie

Carolyn - how wild - I drive down 37 everyday! We live on Nelson Road which is about 8 miles south of Silver Springs on HWy 37! I didn't know there were any options at Noodles besides the pad thai - good to know. I should also try the asian cafe though I am so paranoid about eating out. Thanks for the info. Camille

I lived in Chippewa for years, but just last week my husband and I moved to the southside of Eau Claire (right off 37, near Silver Springs).

There is indeed going to be an outback in EC, it's behind Best Buy. My favorite place to eat is the Asian Cafe, it's on Eddy Lane (right across from Sam Davey school). They are sooo nice there and if you go in and explain what you can't have they are very good about it. I usually get Pad Thai (no brown sauce) or chicken Laahb.

Noodles and Company is also ok, the Pad Thai and Bangkok Curry are gluten-free as-is, but you can ask for other things to be prepared with rice noodles. Just make sure to say "I need this to be allergy-aware for wheat" and it's no problem.

Famous Dave's has roasted chicken that is ok.

Lisa Mentor

Hey Badgers:

I would like to have a culinary trade. I would love to get my hands on some cheese curds and in exchange I will send some North Carolina Peanuts (once you have these you will never eat planters again.!)

Any takers?

Lisa

Carolyn - how wild - I drive down 37 everyday! We live on Nelson Road which is about 8 miles south of Silver Springs on HWy 37! I didn't know there were any options at Noodles besides the pad thai - good to know. I should also try the asian cafe though I am so paranoid about eating out. Thanks for the info. Camille

Oh how funny! We actually live on Silver Springs Drive, right on Lowes Creek.

The Asian Cafe is worth a try. They have been so helpful and nice, I would be happy to take you there with me some time. The first time I went I brought a dining card with me (it was actually the first place I ate out after diagnosis and I was SCARED!) and they really took time to study it and help me figure out what I could have. It's family owned, the parents cook and the two daughters waitress (one of them is the best waitress I've ever had, but she is leaving for grad school soon). I can't say enough good about that place.

Hey Badgers:

I would like to have a culinary trade. I would love to get my hands on some cheese curds and in exchange I will send some North Carolina Peanuts (once you have these you will never eat planters again.!)

Any takers?

Lisa

If only there was a way to get them there fresh! Once they've been frozen they are just not the same at all.

Lisa Mentor

Do some places ship? If you have a name, I can contact them.......oooh so good.

Camille Newbie

Interesting idea - maybe in the winter when they would ahve a chance of arriving fresh?

Hey Badgers:

Any takers?

Lisa

Carolyn - that would be fun to go there together sometime!

Oh how funny! We actually live on Silver Springs Drive, right on Lowes Creek.

The Asian Cafe is worth a try. They have been so helpful and nice, I would be happy to take you there with me some time. The first time I went I brought a dining card with me (it was actually the first place I ate out after diagnosis and I was SCARED!) and they really took time to study it and help me figure out what I could have. It's family owned, the parents cook and the two daughters waitress (one of them is the best waitress I've ever had, but she is leaving for grad school soon). I can't say enough good about that place.

If only there was a way to get them there fresh! Once they've been frozen they are just not the same at all.

Hey Badgers:

Any takers?

Lisa

LIsa - I googled "wisconsin cheese curds shipping" and came up with several places that DO ship! SO try that :) Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

This just in:

The Shanghai Bistro in Eau Claire stocks gluten-free soy sauce! They have San-J available on request. (This is the place that used to be YenKing, on Craig Road just off of 37).

Camille Newbie
This just in:

The Shanghai Bistro in Eau Claire stocks gluten-free soy sauce! They have San-J available on request. (This is the place that used to be YenKing, on Craig Road just off of 37).

That is nice - but do they know how to cook gluten-free?

• 3 weeks later...
Shanghai Bistro Newbie

Its been two years, and I would first like to thank everyone in the Chippewa Valley for your support and continued patronage. Fall is upon us and with the fine crisp air also comes a start to some great ingredients. I've been thinking about a fall tasting and with the recent recommendations of gluten free products and contamination I thought it would be great to incorporate some of the tasty ingredients wheat free.

My team and I will be creating a special menu of sushi, stir-fry, burgers and new creations all of which will be gluten free. And the Best part of it all, is we will have a special guest from LakeFront brewery in Milwaukee with plenty of there New Grist beer to wash it all down!! New Grist is the first beer brewed without malted barley or any gluten-containing products.

Tentative date will be around the last weekend of September or first weekend of October. If you have any questions, recommendations or would like to make a reservation please e-mail me at twinscroll@gmail.com. Our final date will be set within a few days and look to Volume-one magazine for more info.

Cheers,

Henry

barbara3675 Rookie

While this Wisconsin thread is up, if you live anywhere near Antigo, you must discover the Life Without Wheat bakery. They have the BEST gluten-free bakery I have EVER had. I have shopped in Milwaukee, Madison (including Whole Foods and Silly Yaks) and this bakery puts them to shame. The family that owns it all have celiac. I live in remote northern Wisconsin and discovered this bakery at a Trigs store in Rhinelander. These people hand deliver their product to Rhinelander and take orders so that you can have anything you want by the next time they deliver. Their peanut butter cookies, raspberry filled thumbprint cookies, cinnamon rolls and chocolate cream filled cupcakes are devine. Hope some of you can find them and enjoy. I tried to see if they have a web site and could not find one, however, maybe you could call them to see if they deliver anywhere near you. Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
Shanghai Bistro Newbie
Its been two years, and I would first like to thank everyone in the Chippewa Valley for your support and continued patronage. Fall is upon us and with the fine crisp air also comes a start to some great ingredients. I've been thinking about a fall tasting and with the recent recommendations of gluten free products and contamination I thought it would be great to incorporate some of the tasty ingredients wheat free.

My team and I will be creating a special menu of sushi, stir-fry, burgers and new creations all of which will be gluten free. And the Best part of it all, is we will have a special guest from LakeFront brewery in Milwaukee with plenty of there New Grist beer to wash it all down!! New Grist is the first beer brewed without malted barley or any gluten-containing products.

Tentative date will be around the last weekend of September or first weekend of October. If you have any questions, recommendations or would like to make a reservation please e-mail me at twinscroll@gmail.com. Our final date will be set within a few days and look to Volume-one magazine for more info.

Cheers,

Henry

UPDATE the date is now set for Oct 7th starting at 5pm

• 3 weeks later...
Shanghai Bistro Newbie

OKAY great news!!!

I've been tweaking my classic Chinese dishes and I was able to make a great dark sauce with NO gluten at all!!

Some of you might have had/herd of our famous strange flavor chicken. This dish will be available on sat night as well as sichuan chicken/beef, beef/chicken broccoli. Just about any Chinese you have had with a dark sauce will be available. I have also created a few new neo-asian dishes that are simply delicious. We have plenty of tamari on hand so just about every sushi item on our menu will be okay to eat as well.

My restaurant also has two completely separate kitchens and on Saturday we will prep and cook all gluten free items in our exhibition kitchen behind the sushi bar.

If you plan of joining us for dinner Saturday night we also have a free wine tasting, and our house jazz band will be playing as usual. Please make a reservation if possible so I have an idea how how many celiacs will be attending so I can prep accordingly. Our hours On Saturday is 4:30-close ( close is usually around 10).

I also encourage all of you who attend to come say hi to me and give me your honest feedback so that I can continue to tweak my recipes if needed.

Hope to see you Sat,

Henry

Shanghai Bistro

2930 Craid Rd.

Eau claire, Wi 54701

715-835-3348

I'll be there.

• 2 weeks later...
Budew Rookie

I am from Madison. SillyYak is great. I shopped ther before I eliminated white potato (itch).

U Bake in Janesville is wonderful. Donut holes were delicious. (they have potato) but Yum!

I hope that the raisin bread from Whole Foods I read about works. Checking it out soon.

We have outback and PF Chang. They both have gluten-free Menu and good food.

Chilis has also been very accomodating.

barbara3675 Rookie

In Madison you can eat at Noodles and Company.....order the buttered rice noodles with chicken and veggies and parmesean cheese. They are in Janesville and Appleton too. In Middleton there is the FABULOUS Imperial Gardens restaurant. They will make you most anything on the menu....GLUTEN FREE. They will bring you gluten-free soy sauce to the table....they don't miss a beat when you ask them to prepare your foods without gluten. They are open at lunch and dinner and it is so good. It is delightful to go to a Chinese restaurant and be able to have something with the brown sauce riather than always have to have the white sauce!!!!!!!!!!! They only thing, of course, that they would not be able to make for you would be something battered and deep fried. I live in VERY northern Wisconsin, but get to the southern part frequently and when I am in Madison, that is the place that I go. Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adamssa

i live in Eau Claire and attend the UW

kbtoyssni Contributor
just to add my 2cents....Good Harvest off of Silvernail...the organic food store in the Pewaukee/Waukesha area has told me that if I know I am coming to give them a call and they will make certain to have a guten free lunch prepared for me. They said they don't have it on the menu b/c not enough people show up and it goes to waste, but if they know ahead of time they will prepare pasta or etc. for me.

And the manager in there is VERY helpful answering questions and etc.

I love this grocery store. They stopped selling my favorite black rice bread due to low demand, but if you call them and say you'll buy the whole case (6 loaves) they'll order it special for you.

I went here a few days after I went gluten-free and the manager must have noticed me and my mum wandering around confused. He spent a good twenty minutes with us showing all the gluten-free options and gave us a coupon for the next time we came in.

mumseyh Rookie

My two best discoveries in the Milwaukee area have been Molly's Gluten free bakery in Pewaukee (the bread is as good as any regular bread I have ever had, and the cupcakes tasted exactly like regular ones), and Good Harvest in Waukesha. Gluten free Trading Company is also good. I feel lucky to live near these great places. If you haven't tried them yet, they are worth the drive. :)

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I am SO jealous. This isn't fair!

I grew up in Wisconsin. Lived there for 21 years. Since moving to SC four years ago, I've been diagnosed through a positive diet change and then through Enterolab. South Carolina doesn't have SQUAT compared to Wisconsin. Certainly not a 7 page post about all the fabulous places to go.

Well, I always knew I wanted to move back. Except for my boyfriend is closing on a house in about three weeks.

I guess my mom will just be making some new friends at FedEx or something....

I miss you, home! :rolleyes:

Courtney

Camille Newbie

Cheers,

Henry

So sorry I missed this! I hope it went well and I will have to try your restaurant soon, thanks for trying out gluten-free foods at your restaurant!

In Madison you can eat at Noodles and Company.....order the buttered rice noodles with chicken and veggies and parmesean cheese. They are in Janesville and Appleton too. In Middleton there is the FABULOUS Imperial Gardens restaurant. They will make you most anything on the menu....GLUTEN FREE. They will bring you gluten-free soy sauce to the table....they don't miss a beat when you ask them to prepare your foods without gluten. They are open at lunch and dinner and it is so good. It is delightful to go to a Chinese restaurant and be able to have something with the brown sauce riather than always have to have the white sauce!!!!!!!!!!! They only thing, of course, that they would not be able to make for you would be something battered and deep fried. I live in VERY northern Wisconsin, but get to the southern part frequently and when I am in Madison, that is the place that I go. Barbara

Thanks so much for this information - will try next time in Madison area.

• 2 weeks later...
tee0007 Newbie
I live in Wisconsin. I'm from Mukwonago and just recently diagnosed celiac disease. Thanks for the info on the Milwaukee celiac disease group - I might check them out!

Hello, well I just signed up for this site as I've been an online freak looking for gluten-free resources since I was advised by my doc about 2 weeks ago that I have a gluten allergy. Also from the Waukesha area, so I was wondering if you found any good gluten-free stores, other than Good Harvest in Pewaukee. I'm thinking they need a whole foods in New Berlin or something. Any info would help, I will continue to read te other pages (just started reading). Glad to see many others in WI in the same dilemma. I have found Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Chili's all have info on gluten-free if you goto their websites. It's nice to know so the rest of the family doesn't have to suffer just cause I have an allergy. I'm actually kindof glad, think of all the stuff that I can't eat now that really is crappy for you in the first place. Anyway, don't even know if this will work, but will try and will post/respond to more hopefully in the future if it works.

Budew Rookie

I'm from Madison.

All the posts listed great places but last week I found a really great place. I think better than the rest. Especially if you have multiple allergies.

C's Specialty Foods 462 Commerce Dr. Siute A, Madison 53719

Char owns it and is very knowledgeable.M-F 10-7 sat. 10-6

I got eggroll wrappers, rice tortillas that work for burritos, cake mixes and wonderful sliced breads by Sami., great pizza or just the crust too.

She has a website www.CsSpecialtyFoods.com

My one Madison rant. I boycott the Tornado Club. When I asked about their menu they told me to stay home! :angry:

Biaggi's italian says they'll cook gluten-free pasta if you bring it. Most sauces are gluten-free. They have hosted the celiac group here for a lunch. :)

I'm from Madison.

All the posts listed great places but last week I found a really great place. I think better than the rest. Especially if you have multiple allergies.

C's Specialty Foods 462 Commerce Dr. Siute A, Madison 53719

Char owns it and is very knowledgeable.M-F 10-7 sat. 10-6

I got eggroll wrappers, rice tortillas that work for burritos, cake mixes and wonderful sliced breads by Sami., great pizza or just the crust too.

She has a website www.CsSpecialtyFoods.com

My one Madison rant. I boycott the Tornado Club. When I asked about their menu they told me to stay home! :angry:

Biaggi's italian says they'll cook gluten-free pasta if you bring it. Most sauces are gluten-free. They have hosted the celiac group here for a lunch. :)

Actually, I just ate at Biaggi's a few nights ago (visiting my father) and I was able to order gluten-free pasta off the gluten free menu. It was very good and I had no problems whatsoever.

tee0007 Newbie
Actually, I just ate at Biaggi's a few nights ago (visiting my father) and I was able to order gluten-free pasta off the gluten free menu. It was very good and I had no problems whatsoever.

I use gluten-free pasta called Quinoa, they even sell it at our pick n save. I've eaten the spaghetti and also the lasagna noodles and they made the best dishes yet. Actually the kids like the spaghetti better than the old semolina type noodles.

So far the only thing I really miss is the flour tortillas as I was never a real big bread lover. Being diagnosed as having a Gluten allergy hasn't been all that bad so far and the cramps etc. have stopped almost immediately.

Archived