155 replies to this topic

#46 barbara3675@verizon.net

barbara3675@verizon.net

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

Angie, there is an Outback Steakhouse near Eastowne Mall and Westowne Mall that has a gluten-free menu. When you go out next time, you should try it. I live in VERY northern Wisconsin, but my home is Janesville and I come down as often as I can. I would like to try Outback sometime. I hear their food is great and they have a chocolate gluten-free dessert that is to-die-for. Did you notice that over 2000 people have checked out this Wisconsin site? Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 mylady4

mylady4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:13 AM

Hello fellow Wisconsinites,

My name is Nicole and I live north Wheeler close to hwy 64 on 25. (if you know where Wheeler is you really know the state). I was just diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. I am 32, go to UW-Stout part time for an engineering degree, work nights, work out, have two kids (14 and a 7 year old disabled daughter) a fantastic wonderful super supportive husband, 4 horses, 3 cats, 2 goats, 1 dog, 1 hedgehog and 1 fish who will not die. My doctor said that stress can cause intestinal problems. I just laughed and said stress, what stress, I do not have any stress in my life.

All of my problems started about a year and a half ago. I was on Atkins for about 1 1/2 years and managed to lose about 75 pounds and then it stopped when I changed eating plans. That is when the problems started. At first I was gassy, then got constipated. I finally went to the doctor and she did a bunch of test and thought it was IBS, put on Zelnorm, did not work. Still felt like crap for about six months and finally went back in January. She did some more blood test and on the follow up told me she thought I had celiac disease. She was so happy, not in that I had the disease but that we finally found out what was wrong and it was treatable. I stopped wheat that day and started to feel better. She then told me that I had to eat wheat again for a month so I could have a biopsy. I made it four days before I called back and said you have three weeks, then I am done. Needless to say I had my biopsy last week (waiting for results). She just could not see making me suffer for weeks and the GI agreed. He even said that there is a chance that this could back negative and asked if I was going to go back to a normal diet if it was negative. I think I asked him if he was nuts. I was already used to not eating certain foods so now I really have an excuse of why not to eat stuff.

Someone told me that there was a support group in Eau Claire. I will have to talk to the GI or my doctor about this (I doctor through the Marshfeild network, since that is originally we are from). I am not worried about missing a certain food, just trying to avoid foods that have hidden gluten in them. I think that that will be the hardest. We tried to put my youngest on a wheat free and dairy free diet for about three months to see if it would help her with her mood and it did not work so I am familiar with cooking wheat free. When I tell people that I can not eat wheat, the first thing that they say it that they could never do that. I just tell them when you feel as bad as I do, you would stop. I am just hoping now that I can lose the last 25 pounds I have. I have worked to hard and to just have it stop for the past year has been torture. I am also sideline for a bit with brusitis in the hips (too much running) and some arthritis in them.

Hope this was not too long. I have spring break this week so I actually have some time to be on the computer during the week. I am looking forward to hearing from others and finding some places to eat out. My husband and I try to get together 2-3 times a month to go out and eat during the day with no kids (he works weekends at the Walmart DC).

TTKN

Nicole

#48 Mongoose

Mongoose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

Angie, there is an Outback Steakhouse near Eastowne Mall and Westowne Mall that has a gluten-free menu. When you go out next time, you should try it. I live in VERY northern Wisconsin, but my home is Janesville and I come down as often as I can. I would like to try Outback sometime. I hear their food is great and they have a chocolate gluten-free dessert that is to-die-for.

Outback is good! But when you order the vegetables plain they always try to talk you into ordering them the regular way since they "only put a little butter" on them. Don't fall for that one! Even once when I ordered them plain and the waitress wrote "gluten free" on the top of the order, the kitchen messed it up and I was running to the bathroom before I got out of the restaurant. So maybe stick with the baked potatoes or sweet potatoes which they don't mess up instead of the vegetables.
Mongoose

#49 angielackner

angielackner

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:09 AM

outback was actually the first restaurant i ate at after going gluten-free...they were wonderful...i did think however that the veggies were a little bland...i wont be getting those again...but we went there for my birthday a year ago (this year we went to biaggi's :D )...and i had the filet...and then was sooooooooo pleasantly surprised that the brownie there was gluten-free...man was that wonderful! outback was really nice, and i will definitely go there again...my hubby and i just need to work on not blowing our food budget on fast food so often so we can actually go to nicer restaurants :P

angie

#50 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hello fellow Wisconsinites,

My name is Nicole and I live north Wheeler close to hwy 64 on 25. (if you know where Wheeler is you really know the state). I was just diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. I am 32, go to UW-Stout part time for an engineering degree, work nights, work out, have two kids (14 and a 7 year old disabled daughter) a fantastic wonderful super supportive husband, 4 horses, 3 cats, 2 goats, 1 dog, 1 hedgehog and 1 fish who will not die. My doctor said that stress can cause intestinal problems. I just laughed and said stress, what stress, I do not have any stress in my life.

All of my problems started about a year and a half ago. I was on Atkins for about 1 1/2 years and managed to lose about 75 pounds and then it stopped when I changed eating plans. That is when the problems started. At first I was gassy, then got constipated. I finally went to the doctor and she did a bunch of test and thought it was IBS, put on Zelnorm, did not work. Still felt like crap for about six months and finally went back in January. She did some more blood test and on the follow up told me she thought I had celiac disease. She was so happy, not in that I had the disease but that we finally found out what was wrong and it was treatable. I stopped wheat that day and started to feel better. She then told me that I had to eat wheat again for a month so I could have a biopsy. I made it four days before I called back and said you have three weeks, then I am done. Needless to say I had my biopsy last week (waiting for results). She just could not see making me suffer for weeks and the GI agreed. He even said that there is a chance that this could back negative and asked if I was going to go back to a normal diet if it was negative. I think I asked him if he was nuts. I was already used to not eating certain foods so now I really have an excuse of why not to eat stuff.

Someone told me that there was a support group in Eau Claire. I will have to talk to the GI or my doctor about this (I doctor through the Marshfeild network, since that is originally we are from). I am not worried about missing a certain food, just trying to avoid foods that have hidden gluten in them. I think that that will be the hardest. We tried to put my youngest on a wheat free and dairy free diet for about three months to see if it would help her with her mood and it did not work so I am familiar with cooking wheat free. When I tell people that I can not eat wheat, the first thing that they say it that they could never do that. I just tell them when you feel as bad as I do, you would stop. I am just hoping now that I can lose the last 25 pounds I have. I have worked to hard and to just have it stop for the past year has been torture. I am also sideline for a bit with brusitis in the hips (too much running) and some arthritis in them.

Hope this was not too long. I have spring break this week so I actually have some time to be on the computer during the week. I am looking forward to hearing from others and finding some places to eat out. My husband and I try to get together 2-3 times a month to go out and eat during the day with no kids (he works weekends at the Walmart DC).

TTKN
Nicole

You have to be effin' kidding me! I go to Stout for Manufacturing Engineering (only 3 classes left after this semester). I think I have met all the other female students in ME though, Erin, myself, Andrea, and Pauline (although I think there are some freshmen I'm not familiar with). Are you in ME or a different program? Did you go to the SWE meeting last week? (PS I know where Wheeler is)

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#51 Susan123

Susan123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:35 PM

My grandmother lives in Menasha, WI and I go to the Red Raddish store has all my gluten-free food. Also, the Pick and Save has 3 aisles of gluten-free food! More to offer than in Baltimore, MD... go figure.

#52 mylady4

mylady4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:03 AM

You have to be effin' kidding me! I go to Stout for Manufacturing Engineering (only 3 classes left after this semester). I think I have met all the other female students in ME though, Erin, myself, Andrea, and Pauline (although I think there are some freshmen I'm not familiar with). Are you in ME or a different program? Did you go to the SWE meeting last week? (PS I know where Wheeler is)

What a small world. I am in the Engineering Technology program and have 4 classes left after this semester. I will be done in December but this semester I have Physics and it is going to be the death of me. I know very very few people. I just do not have the time to participate in anything from Stout. I work full time at night (11pm to 7 am at Phillips) and have a family so time is limited. I got an invitation to the SWE but no time. I am finding it vert interesting being one of the only females in classes. In Project Management I am the only girl in there but luckly there are no group project (I hate them). Have you had R&D and what is it like (how much work)?

How do like the snow. Glad this week is spring break.

TTFN

Nicole

#53 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

What a small world. I am in the Engineering Technology program and have 4 classes left after this semester. I will be done in December but this semester I have Physics and it is going to be the death of me. I know very very few people. I just do not have the time to participate in anything from Stout. I work full time at night (11pm to 7 am at Phillips) and have a family so time is limited. I got an invitation to the SWE but no time. I am finding it vert interesting being one of the only females in classes. In Project Management I am the only girl in there but luckly there are no group project (I hate them). Have you had R&D and what is it like (how much work)?

How do like the snow. Glad this week is spring break.

TTFN
Nicole

By R&D, do you mean CAP I and II? Do the ET majors have CAPII? Anyway, I've taken CAP I and to be perfectly honest it was hateful. It was a very stressful time, but we were also trying to design something that we had to build in CAP II. Knowing that we were going to have to try and build that monstrosity made it worse I think. I am nearly always the only woman in my classes, this semester is a very strange exception because I have 2 classes with Pauline, one also has Andrea and one also has Erin. I don't mind though, I get along with these guys really well for the most part. I have made some really good friends, and if you can choose your own group the group projects aren't bad at all! (It's when you can't choose your group that it sucks).

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#54 WICHERYL

WICHERYL

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hello to all you Wisconsinites...first of all I miss you all! I found out I had Celiac Disease by a doc in Oak Creek Wisconsin. She is awesome! She gave me so much information and we working a plan to make sure that I had no other medical issues....anyway, I am or I guess I should say was a full time Air Force Reservist at the 440th at Gen Mitchell IAP and because of the BRAC about a month ago I had been transferred to Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs. I ended up having to leave Wisconsin, my home for 43 years with a newly diagnosed disease. I just wanted to mention that at the Gluten Free Trading Co they are very helpful....even the customers help each other and give each other hints. I got a wealth of information from a woman standing in line at the checkout with me. If you know where Howell Ave is go north until it turns into Chase. It's on the corner of Oklahoma and Chase......look closely, I drove by it a couple times before finding it. There is a Jewel Osco, I believe just to the west of it. I am currently trying to find some other celiacs here in Co Springs so that I can learn about knowledgable docs here. Take care of my home state! :)
Cheryl

#55 watchthestars

watchthestars

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

hello wisconsin friends!

i was shocked when i did a search on here to find that no one knows about MOLLY'S GLUTEN FREE BAKERY! well actually it's in a weird location and fairly new so i guess it's not that surprising...It's in PEWAUKEE and might be more convienent for some of you instead of driving to Silly Yak in Madison.

they have everything you would want and it's SO GOOD! They have the BEST rice bread i've ever tried. it's actually a good consitancey and doesn't fall apart :)

They also have AMAZING muffins, cookies, cinnamon rolls, danish rolls, brownies, lemon squares, pumpkin squares, hot dog & hamburger buns, dinner rolls, cup cakes, pies, pie crusts, and decorated birthday cakes (i can't wait till my birthday in july!) The only thing that needs work is the pizza crust, but i haven't tried it in a while so maybe he's improved it by now. here's the info:

Molly's Gluten Free Bakery
N47 W28270 Lynndale Rd (Hwy JK)
Pewaukee, WI 53072

Phone & Fax: 262-369-1404

Hours: Wed, Thurs, Fri 10am-5:30pm
Sat 10am-4pm

Everything is made fresh to order... orders must be placed 2 days before pick up.

http://www.jsonline.....aspx?id=374004

i'm so lucky this place is about 5 minutes from my house! it's a God send.

happy eating!
Elaine

unofficial celiac. i'm not up for the gluten challenge.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain --Maya Angelou

#56 VintageBoxers

VintageBoxers

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

Checking in...Elkhorn, WI here. I LOVE www.glutenfreetradingcompany.com they also have a store in Milwaukee. WONDERFUL food and WONDERFUL people. Kinnikinic is my fav. so far. they have such wonderful products. ANyone ever wants to chat or get together send me a note! I am up for it...i have no celiac friends here...lol..

Sarah
[size=3]

#57 Mongoose

Mongoose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hey folks!

If you find your way to Madison and like Chinese food then check out Imperial Garden (http://www.imperialgarden.com/). A couple of people in the local support group mentioned this place so we finally got bold enough to go. Sure enough, the waitress knew immediately what gluten free meant and said we could order anything off the menu except for the obvious things like noodles. I'm not fond of playing 20 questions so we didn't ask too much else. Seemed like it took a little longer for our food to arrive than for some other tables, but when it did it was awesome! We were so pleased! It's been an awfully long time since we've had Chinese out. And we both felt fine the next day.

Also, I was at Whole Foods a couple of days ago, and they are now carrying Molly's Gone Crackers, which I like a lot. Interesting flavors and texture.

Willy Street Coop had gluten-free chocolate cake pieces in their cooler next to the deli counter when I was there a week ago. I didn't try it but it looked good.
Mongoose

#58 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:52 AM

Mongoose, I'm originally from the madison area and my father still lives there. I eat at the Imperial Garden almost every time I visit. There is also a PF Changs in Middleton now. The terrace at the student union has cider on tap, and if you can get there on a Sunday the gluten free items at the Bread Barn are to die for. SO good.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#59 barbara3675@verizon.net

barbara3675@verizon.net

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

The Bread Barn has gluten-free stuff all the time, it is just that they have FRESH stuff on Sunday....the rest of the days it is in the freezer. I concur that Imperial Gardens is awesome and what a treat to ask for gluten-free soy sauce and get it without hesitation or to be able to order a dish with bown sauce instead of white all the time. When in Madison a stop at Whole Foods is a must as their sandwich bread and other baked goods are awesome. Going that way soon, can't wait. Barbara

#60 angielackner

angielackner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

actually, if you're coming to madison, you should go to u-bake on odana road...its open every day except sunday, and they have tons of great gluten free food! their hamburger and hot dog buns are great! so are their donut holes and pizza!!! their bread is ok...i like whole foods bread a little better, but the stuff at u-bake is thinner, so it toasts nicer :)

angie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: