155 replies to this topic

#61 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

Oh, right. The Bread Barn does have frozen stuff all week, but I just meant that you could get really good fresh baked stuff on Sundays. Getting that stuff fresh is SO worth trying to get there on a Sunday.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 barbara3675@verizon.net

barbara3675@verizon.net

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:52 AM

Yes, I know. My son goes there on Sundays as he lives in Oconomowoc and can make it over there to buy the fresh stuff. I, actually, am going to be in Southern Wisconsin on Sunday June 11......but I don't think I will make it to Madison that day. I do know that U-Bake has great cinnamon rolls from Grandma Ferdon's bakery. I keep them in the freezer and then just 25 seconds/roll in the microwave, they are like they just came out of the oven. We are very lucky to live in the day when there is so much availble to us that need to eat gluten-free.....many years ago that was not the case. I really don't feel all that deprived MOST of the time, however there are times...................... Barbara

#63 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:30 AM

Oh, I LOVE those Grandma Ferdon's cinnamon rolls. Luckily she is pretty close to me and they actually sell them at my local grocery store. I know what you mean about being lucky to live in the time that we do, my dad's cousin was diagnosed many years ago (25+ years, in high school and she is now at least in her late 40's). I can't imagine how tough it must have been for her then. Especially living in rural central IL.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#64 VintageBoxers

VintageBoxers

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:52 PM

Oh i also wanted to add that Bunky's Cafe in Madison does have gluten-free food

OREGON, WI

I am up there once a week at Sunrise Stables. i ride and show with them

#65 angielackner

angielackner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

i live in oregon, wi! i would kill to go horseback riding again! i used to work for a ranch as a guide in delevan while i was in college...i miss riding...i wish i had a horse :(

angie

#66 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:54 AM

Hi everyone ~

We live in MN but will be going over the Hayward WI in early August for a cabin vacation. Is there a restaurant there that is good about catering to allergies and celiac? Any great stores I should go to?

Thanks!
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#67 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

I know just who you can ask about Hayward: Julie from Grandma Ferdon's foods (which is in Hayward). I don't remember her email address, but the website is www.grandmaferdons.com and you can contact her via email through the site. She is very nice and very helpful.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#68 jnifred

jnifred

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

just to add my 2cents....Good Harvest off of Silvernail...the organic food store in the Pewaukee/Waukesha area has told me that if I know I am coming to give them a call and they will make certain to have a guten free lunch prepared for me. They said they don't have it on the menu b/c not enough people show up and it goes to waste, but if they know ahead of time they will prepare pasta or etc. for me.

And the manager in there is VERY helpful answering questions and etc.

#69 barbara3675@verizon.net

barbara3675@verizon.net

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

There is a bakery in Antigo, Wisconsin called Life Without Wheat and they have THE BEST gluten-free bakery stuff that I have ever had. My friend happened to be at the Trigs store in Rhinelander and brought me some cookies. I went there and got some chocolate cream filled cupcakes, peanut butter cookies, and raspberry thumprint cookies that are THE BEST that I have ever had and I have had Grandma Ferdon's stuff and things from Whole Foods. This surpasses those hands down. They deliver there weekly and have a large list of things that can be ordered. I would imagine they will be state-wide eventually, but I sure am glad they are up my way. I had a cheese pizza of theirs that was pretty good too. Their goods are very expensive. They have a pan of 9 unbaked cinnamon rolls that go from freezer to oven and bake in about 15-20 minutes. They are TO-DIE-FOR, even come with the frosting for the top----price is over $9, but worth every cent. You will be glad when you discover Life Without Wheat. Barbara

#70 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:05 PM

:D Thanks so much!! I'm going to ask Dh if we will be going near those places to stop off at.

I will definitely email Julie @ Grandma Ferdons. It would be great if we could eat out at a real restaurant once during the week. I'm planning on baking enough bread, buns, cookies, etc. before we leave but would love to have a night to eat out. How cool that she IS in Hayward!!
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

#71 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:06 AM

Well, bummer, she said that there aren't any restaurants there that are good with gluten-free/allergies. So, looks like we won't get to eat out after all. I did look at all her yummy products, but most everything had dairy in it so I won't be able to use her products either :(
Mom of:

#72 mumseyh

mumseyh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

Hello to all you Wisconsinites...first of all I miss you all! I found out I had Celiac Disease by a doc in Oak Creek Wisconsin. She is awesome! She gave me so much information and we working a plan to make sure that I had no other medical issues....anyway, I am or I guess I should say was a full time Air Force Reservist at the 440th at Gen Mitchell IAP and because of the BRAC about a month ago I had been transferred to Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs. I ended up having to leave Wisconsin, my home for 43 years with a newly diagnosed disease. I just wanted to mention that at the Gluten Free Trading Co they are very helpful....even the customers help each other and give each other hints. I got a wealth of information from a woman standing in line at the checkout with me. If you know where Howell Ave is go north until it turns into Chase. It's on the corner of Oklahoma and Chase......look closely, I drove by it a couple times before finding it. There is a Jewel Osco, I believe just to the west of it. I am currently trying to find some other celiacs here in Co Springs so that I can learn about knowledgable docs here. Take care of my home state! :)

Too bad you had to move away, but I can understand. We have lived in the MKE area for 20 years. My husband works at the airport. My doctor just told me I have a gluten allergy, but I don't know if I have Celiac Disease until futher tests. It is a blessing to have a doctor who is up on this info. I have been living with these problems for over 30 years. I am planning to go to the Gluten Free Trading Co this weekend. My doc also recommended Molly's Bakery in Pewaukee. I will not be starting the gluten-free diet until after the tests, but want to start learning. Good luck in finding help in CO. It is a beautiful state!

#73 leblumax

leblumax

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

I was diagnosed in June of 2K5 by my Arthritis DR.

He had been trying for a few months to figure out why I was not retaining calcium no matter how hi a dose he put me on. He finally did a blood test for a marker that indicated possible Sprue so he sent me to a Gastrinterologist in Milwaukee who did the upper scope and said my Vila were just NUBS. I went gluten-free as of 1 July 2K5. Within 3 months my calcium was normal. I still take 1500 mg a day. I went from 286# on 1 July 2K4 to 210# on 1 July 2K5. Since going gluten-free I have had to battle to keep the weight down. On 1 July 2K6 I was 228#.

I don't feel any better or worse since going gluten-free, but I guess my internal health is better so thats a plus.

I get most of my gluten-free stuff from Piggly Wiggly in Mayville, WI and at Outpost Foods in S Milwaukee (my son works there).

Mostly I just eat straight up foods. Any veggy, fruit raw, or carefully cooked. I read alot of labels. What I would love to find is a gluten-free wrap for burritos that is not just a plain corn tortia. They are ok but taste like a raw taco shell, which is what they are. They do not hold up if there is any juice in what you wrap with them.

Any one know where I can get a GOOD wrap?

#74 mumseyh

mumseyh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

I was diagnosed in June of 2K5 by my Arthritis DR.

He had been trying for a few months to figure out why I was not retaining calcium no matter how hi a dose he put me on. He finally did a blood test for a marker that indicated possible Sprue so he sent me to a Gastrinterologist in Milwaukee who did the upper scope and said my Vila were just NUBS. I went gluten-free as of 1 July 2K5. Within 3 months my calcium was normal. I still take 1500 mg a day. I went from 286# on 1 July 2K4 to 210# on 1 July 2K5. Since going gluten-free I have had to battle to keep the weight down. On 1 July 2K6 I was 228#.

I don't feel any better or worse since going gluten-free, but I guess my internal health is better so thats a plus.

I get most of my gluten-free stuff from Piggly Wiggly in Mayville, WI and at Outpost Foods in S Milwaukee (my son works there).

Mostly I just eat straight up foods. Any veggy, fruit raw, or carefully cooked. I read alot of labels. What I would love to find is a gluten-free wrap for burritos that is not just a plain corn tortia. They are ok but taste like a raw taco shell, which is what they are. They do not hold up if there is any juice in what you wrap with them.

I would be curious to know which GI doc you saw? I go tomorrow for a biopsy with Dr. Maurice Chung at St. Mary's. My regular doc seems to feel he is on to something, but Dr. Chung seems skeptical. I wonder if I should still have the enterolab test if I don't test positive tomorrow?

Leblumax:
I would be curious which GI doc you saw in Milwaukee? I am getting a biopsy from Dr. Chung at St. Mary's tomorrow. My primary doc seems convinced I will test positive for gluten allergy, but GI doc seems skeptical.

#75 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

What I would love to find is a gluten-free wrap for burritos that is not just a plain corn tortia. They are ok but taste like a raw taco shell, which is what they are. They do not hold up if there is any juice in what you wrap with them.

Have you tried steaming them? That improves the texture a lot.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: