155 replies to this topic

#121 gfmolly

gfmolly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

Hi, Have any of the Wisconsites tried the Gluten-Free Trading Company? It is in Bay View on Chase and I think Oklahoma?? I just started a gluten-free diet and there were alot of products there that I haven't seen at Good Harvest. It was also helpful to see what natural products are gluten-free since I am so new to this. http://www.gluten-free.net/
Terri
Diary free 11/06-6/08
Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!
Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."
- Fortune Cookie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#122 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

Hi, Have any of the Wisconsites tried the Gluten-Free Trading Company? It is in Bay View on Chase and I think Oklahoma?? I just started a gluten-free diet and there were alot of products there that I haven't seen at Good Harvest. It was also helpful to see what natural products are gluten-free since I am so new to this. http://www.gluten-free.net/
Terri

My first online purchase for gluten free foods came from them. I ordered about 10 foods that I couldn't find anywhere in my store. It came real quick which I was pleased with. This was about a year and a half ago and since then the stores in my area have expanded with gluten free foods. In fact now I think each store is competing with each other for the best selection ;) So I've have never ordered again. I want to someday get there and shop though maybe go see a brewer game or do the zoo and make a day of it. Have you found a good restaurant in Milwaukee that you recommend?

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#123 gfmolly

gfmolly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Have you found a good restaurant in Milwaukee that you recommend?

There is a restaurant called Roots on the East side that I went to before I was gluten-free and I am going to in a few weeks for my anniversary. I will let you know how it goes! There is a place called Tess that I've not been to that I've read is great and has a gluten-free menu. I want to check it out sometime! Here is the website for Roots
http://www.rootsmilwaukee.com/

Terri
Diary free 11/06-6/08
Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!
Gluten-free since 4/07

- Fortune Cookie

#124 sixtytwo

sixtytwo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

Go to P F Changs by Mayfair...it is really good. They have an entire gluten-free menu,you must try the lettuce wrap appetizer. It is their signature item and comes in a gluten-free form. It is excellent and I think next time I am going to get just that and the chocolate dessert that everyone has been raving about. I have never had that as I don't have room after an appetizer and a full dinner. They are very accomodating. I have been to that one and two different ones in the Chicago area.........each was great. Barbara

#125 grey

grey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi-
I was wondering if any of the Wisconsinites went to any of the support groups? And if so, how they were/what they were like? (I'm new at this). thx

#126 gfmolly

gfmolly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi-
I was wondering if any of the Wisconsinites went to any of the support groups? And if so, how they were/what they were like? (I'm new at this). thx

Hi,
I just joined the Milwaukee "Sprue Crew" but haven't been to a meeting yet. I am totally new, too. In the newsletter it had info on a bread company that you could purchase bread from at discount prices and pick-up at the meeting. I just haven't had the time to go to a meeting. Anyone else?
Terri
Diary free 11/06-6/08
Gluten-free since 4/07

- Fortune Cookie

#127 somegirl2004

somegirl2004

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hi-

Hey! I'm a member of the "Madison Area Gluten Intolerance Chapter" (MAGIC). I haven't actually gone to any of the meetings, but they send out monthly newsletters which are pretty awesome. They have recipes, product updates, tips, and medical information. I know the Fox Valley Celiacs also have a newsletter (my mom is a member), so I'd think the rest of the groups in the state would have them too. I definitely recommend it though. And maybe I'll find time to actually go to a meeting! ;)

-- Erin

#128 JoJo23

JoJo23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

I just found out that the U-Bake store on La Crosse's south side carries Grandma Ferdon's frozen and dry products. I emailed the owner and she sent me a list of all the products with prices. Evidently they hope to carry Kinnekinnick foods in the near future too. Their website is www.ubakelacrosse.com
Kody

#129 Sonjuska

Sonjuska

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

I'm living in Finland, Northern Europe and travelling to Appleton, WI next week for 5 days :)
Can you help me to find gluten free food, especially (fresh) bread?
Or gluten free tortilla - we don't have those in Finland.

All other tips are welcome too, never been in USA before!

-Sonja

#130 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

I'm living in Finland, Northern Europe and travelling to Appleton, WI next week for 5 days :)
Can you help me to find gluten free food, especially (fresh) bread?
Or gluten free tortilla - we don't have those in Finland.

All other tips are welcome too, never been in USA before!

-Sonja

Sonja,

I haven't been there yet but there is Barbara's Pantry 1525 W. Wisconsin Ave. Appleton, WI 54914

She makes Gluten free breads, muffins, quick breads, jelly rolls, cookies, egg noodles, and salads.

I have her pamplet from a meeting I was at and didn't get the chance to go there yet since I'm about an hour away.

I think there's a health food store in the area to that might be worth going to. Good luck and welcome to our area.

Gail
Lactose intolerant.

#131 Sonjuska

Sonjuska

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

Sonja,
I haven't been there yet but there is Barbara's Pantry 1525 W. Wisconsin Ave. Appleton, WI 54914

Thanks Gail :D

#132 Acersma

Acersma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

I live in Little Chute WI. I just started Gluten Free yesterday! I am glad I found this thread. Especially the previous one. My parents spend most of their summers in Hayward, which is where someone mentioned a Grandma Ferdons. I will be looking for places to shop this weekend. right now I am surviving on popcorn, applesauce, eggs, cheese and chicken and tonight a baked potatoe. Payday is friday and off shopping. I am right outside of Appleton and very close to Green Bay.

Jody

#133 GF_Caryl

GF_Caryl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hello,

I hope I am doing this right - I just joined a few minutes ago (though I've been reading the forums for about a year now! I was diagnosed in October 2006)

I am from Racine - anyone else from Racine? I've read here about the Gluten-Free Trading Company in Milwaukee, and have been there a few times - it's fun to go into a place that is entirely gluten-free!

I also shop at Molbeck's (they will be moving their store on Feb. 1-2 into the West Racine area) and at the new U-Bake across from Regency mall.

I've joined the Milwaukee SprueCrew just recently but have not yet been to a meeting (I understand they have them quarterly in Kenosha as well as Milwaukee - anyone here from Kenosha?)

If this has been posted incorrectly or in the wrong place, I apologize!

Caryl

#134 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hello,

I hope I am doing this right - I just joined a few minutes ago (though I've been reading the forums for about a year now! I was diagnosed in October 2006)

I am from Racine - anyone else from Racine? I've read here about the Gluten-Free Trading Company in Milwaukee, and have been there a few times - it's fun to go into a place that is entirely gluten-free!

I also shop at Molbeck's (they will be moving their store on Feb. 1-2 into the West Racine area) and at the new U-Bake across from Regency mall.

I've joined the Milwaukee SprueCrew just recently but have not yet been to a meeting (I understand they have them quarterly in Kenosha as well as Milwaukee - anyone here from Kenosha?)

If this has been posted incorrectly or in the wrong place, I apologize!

Caryl

You posted it right and welcome to celiac.com. Please feel free to jump right in and share. Sounds like your doing all the right things already. We're a friendly bunch here so if you have any questions ask away.

Gail
Lactose intolerant.

#135 GF_Caryl

GF_Caryl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

You posted it right and welcome to celiac.com. Please feel free to jump right in and share. Sounds like your doing all the right things already. We're a friendly bunch here so if you have any questions ask away.

Gail

Thnkk you Gail! :) There is just so much information here I enjoy just reading, but I sure will ask if I have any questions! Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: