This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe Challenge!

Marc49

Marc49 Explorer

On another thread I was convinced to get a Kitchenaid mixer. It came the other day, but had an issue with the switch, so I will be getting a new one within the week.

The thing that I would most like to find a successful recipe for is hamburger buns. I have a bun pan on order also that I believe is either 4" or 4 1/4" molds.

I would appreciate it very much if ANY of you folks that have found a recipe for buns that are actually 'good' would post it here, or the link to a recipe.

I figured that since many of you have experimented over and over, it would be far better to take your advice rather than experimenting with dozens of recipes I manage to track down on my own.

Let's see what ya got!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

On another thread I was convinced to get a Kitchenaid mixer. It came the other day, but had an issue with the switch, so I will be getting a new one within the week.

The thing that I would most like to find a successful recipe for is hamburger buns. I have a bun pan on order also that I believe is either 4" or 4 1/4" molds.

I would appreciate it very much if ANY of you folks that have found a recipe for buns that are actually 'good' would post it here, or the link to a recipe.

I figured that since many of you have experimented over and over, it would be far better to take your advice rather than experimenting with dozens of recipes I manage to track down on my own.

Let's see what ya got!! :)

Every person on this forum is still looking for the perfect bread and bun recipe....I still choke down the store bought gluten free buns....have found that grilling them helps a bit...I use a cast iron pan to do mine. I also have discovered that using both heel ends of gluten free bread as a "bun" has worked out well....grilled, with a bison burger,tomato,onion,mayo,french fries,and a Bard's gluten free beer makes my day and I feel on top of the world.

I have discovered I can cheat, and have a regular store bought bun about once every 3 weeks and not have any abdominal issues....you may want to consider that.

Marc49 Explorer

I see there is another Bison fan here! :)

Bought some of those Udi's buns that I read were 'really great.'

I think they are barely edible to be honest, so after I finished the package I didn't get more.

I'm sure I could 'cheat' from time to time, as I am not as sensitive as some folks here are. I actually ate something last week that I thought was gluten-free, and turned out it wasn't. Nothing major happened afterwards.

What some people consider great, is barely edible to others,......individual preference varies greatly I have learned.

I am still going to try some from scratch though!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I have discovered I can cheat, and have a regular store bought bun about once every 3 weeks and not have any abdominal issues....you may want to consider that.

PLEASE do not even consider taking this terrible advice! As is well known... even if you have no abdominal issues or any symptoms if you are glutened, you are damaging your small intestine by eating gluten. Eating it accidently is difficult enough... to do it on purpose is insanity.

I use Pamela's bread mix and simply fashion it into buns w/ a spatula. I get 9 rolls from a bread mix. You could absolutely use your bun pan. Lightly toasted, they are awesome.

love2travel Mentor

PLEASE do not even consider taking this terrible advice! As is well known... even if you have no abdominal issues or any symptoms if you are glutened, you are damaging your small intestine by eating gluten. Eating it accidently is difficult enough... to do it on purpose is insanity.

I fully agree. I bet I could get away with eating gluten as I do not feel sick from it (yet!) but I will not even consider trying it because of the havoc it would play internally. I have been gluten-free for nearly six months and have no idea whether I have been accientally glutened yet or not (and am not about to find out). My celiac diagnosis means strictly adhering to a gluten-free lifestyle FOREVER. Gluten is not an option. No one should be doing this - it would be like Russian roulette! Ginsou, would it not sort of negate all the hard work you are otherwise doing? That someeone does this is disconcerting and worriesome... :huh: All it takes to cause damage is 1/100th of one peanut a day (yes, it is cumulative but still!).

Marc49 Explorer

Come on folks,....I'm looking for bun recipes, not to have a thread chastising another member. :)

love2travel Mentor

Come on folks,....I'm looking for bun recipes, not to have a thread chastising another member. :)

Sorry - I was just concerned that someone new to this gluten-free thing would read certain comments and be inadvertently mislead. ;)

Anyway, thus far I have no good bun recipes! Some are kind of ok but not really great. Yet. Have you seen these recipes? They make decent dinner rolls but by no stretch are they fabulous (nor are they realy buns). Some of those who commented would disagree. What can I say? I am a picky baker/cook! They are OK for gluten-free, though...alright flavour but the texture is not even close to their gluten-filled counterparts (there really is no such thing!).

Open Original Shared Link

One of my favourite gluten-free baking books is "Gluten-Free Baking with The Culinary Institute of America" - they include great things most books do not such as bagels, English muffins, doughnuts, sourdough, Bialys, soft pretzels, pastry dough...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

Ya know what? When I was a fairly new member, I made the mistake of posting that I wasn't so sensitive that I couldn't pick croutons off a salad and blow off the crumbs... or take a burger off a bun and eat it. The folks here set me straight... in NO uncertain terms... that what I was doing was NOT keeping a gluten-free diet and that I was hurting myself. I was so mad... I stripped my computer of the celiac.com website... and finally I realized that I was fooling no one but myself. The "tough love" approach set me straight and I've been completely gluten-free ever since. I've thanked those "tough love" peeps thru-out the years.

love2travel Mentor

Ya know what? When I was a fairly new member, I made the mistake of posting that I wasn't so sensitive that I couldn't pick croutons off a salad and blow off the crumbs... or take a burger off a bun and eat it. The folks here set me straight... in NO uncertain terms... that what I was doing was NOT keeping a gluten-free diet and that I was hurting myself. I was so mad... I stripped my computer of the celiac.com website... and finally I realized that I was fooling no one but myself. The "tough love" approach set me straight and I've been completely gluten-free ever since. I've thanked those "tough love" peeps thru-out the years.

Thanks for this! It is cool hearing about your experience. Yes, it can be tough but it is out of love and concern. If we did not care enough we would not bring it up! :)

mamaw Community Regular

Sorry to chime in here but cheating is not a healtyy choice. These comments make new people feel it is okay to cheat now & then & it has & does cause issues big issues with family esp. family members who do not understand that when you are celiac it is 100% 100% of your living life. None of us has a camera inbedded in our intestinal tract to see what damage is taking place .. a family member several years ago decided to do just that cheat not often but now & then... They just had 2 feet of their small intestine removed from intestinal cancer. excluding the intestinal issues of eating gluten there are so many more issues when cheating occurs, depression, hives, itching, irratible feelings..

This site is meant for people to learn , vent & understand their illness we don't want to give them wrong information...

If you are celiac cheating is not an option,

I'm an old time celiac .....

blessings

mamaw.

mamaw Community Regular

Marc

I'm sorry I forgot to mention, I'm a gluten-free tester & if you want a really good bun Bertille Buns are soft & squishy just like you remember a bun should taste like!!! I don't care for Udi's...hth

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

I just seen where Scott( the Admin of this site) just posted in the Publications & Publicity section about cheating is a NO NO.. Please Don't ever Cheat ......

Marc49 Explorer

Marc

I'm sorry I forgot to mention, I'm a gluten-free tester & if you want a really good bun Bertille Buns are soft & squishy just like you remember a bun should taste like!!! I don't care for Udi's...hth

mamaw

I've never heard of Bertille Buns,....I assume they are a pre-made packaged product? If so, I have never seen them around here. We only recently got the Udi's burger and hot dog buns.

We've had the Udi's bread since I started this, but I just can't eat the stuff. The only thing I made on it that was edible was a grilled cheese sandwich.

Now please let me clear up one thing, since there is so much concern about the one comment another poster with good intentions made.

I have no real idea whether I am celiac or gluten intolerant.

My general practitioner doc is also into 'functional medicine' even though he is an internist and an MD.

He had me do some saliva test that started all of this. He was really testing my cortisol patterns, but something that can have to do with gluten intolerance showed up as borderline,.....not positive, but not negative. He investigates everything, so he had me do the EnteroLab gene test.

That turned out positive for one celiac gene, and another that tends to favor gluten intolerance. After seeing that, he suggested a gluten-free diet.

After that I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy and told my GI doc to check for celiac sprue with multiple biopsies at the same time. Real purpose of the test was to check for polyps and for signs of Barrett's syndrome since I have GERD, and a family history of polyps.

I was totally clean of those, and my biopsies came back negative for celiac sprue or whatever they call it. LOL

He also said I had zero signs of villi damage. The GI docs response was to ignore the gene test and continue to eat as I always have. I have remained on a gluten-free diet regardless, but as you can see I have no real proof that I even have a problem per se. My regular doc says I should do this, my GI doc says it's crazy and not necessary.

At least now you folks know what I have had done, but regardless of that I have not cheated since I started this. The thing last week was some guacamole dip that was previously gluten-free, but I neglected to check the label, and later found out they had changed the recipe. That is the only gluten that I have had to my knowledge since I started this. :)

mushroom Proficient

When it comes to eating gluten free, the only person affected by it is the eater (and perhaps their loved ones if they have to suffer the effects of cheating). So the only person you are doing it for is yourself. It just depends how much you think of yourself, how long and how well you want to live. Nobody is going to stand beside you and be your policeman. It is something you do by yourself, for yourself. Seems like you are doing a pretty good job. :)

Marc49 Explorer

When it comes to eating gluten free, the only person affected by it is the eater (and perhaps their loved ones if they have to suffer the effects of cheating). So the only person you are doing it for is yourself. It just depends how much you think of yourself, how long and how well you want to live. Nobody is going to stand beside you and be your policeman. It is something you do by yourself, for yourself. Seems like you are doing a pretty good job. :)

Yes I have actually,....one mistake since the beginning of the year isn't bad.

I looked at your 'sig'line and quickly understood even more that my issue is not that big of a deal.

How in the world do you eat with all of those food intolerances?

I can't imagine what a struggle it must be to find products that meet your needs.

My mother was told by a doctor when I was a small child that I had a milk allergy. I really don't know what he based that on back then, as I am almost 50 now. I got over it around the age of 10 to 12 IIRC, and went on a milk drinking binge. That ended within a couple of years, and I have never been much of a milk drinker since then,......I DO love cheese though! :P

kellynolan82 Explorer

This is extremely dangerous.

The damage that occurs from such activity is not worth the pleasure of eating a palatable bun. The reaction, whilst often not that noticeable on the outside, from each of these sorts of incidents could last several months. There is absolutely no way on earth that this dietary regime can be healthy, particularly if affected by celiac/coeliac disease.

kellynolan82 Explorer

I see there is another Bison fan here! :)

What exactly do you mean by the term "Bison"?

Marc49 Explorer

What exactly do you mean by the term "Bison"?

The American Bison, what most people incorrectly call buffalo.

Buffalo are actually a different breed found in Africa and Asia for instance.

love2travel Mentor

The American Bison, what most people incorrectly call buffalo.

Buffalo are actually a different breed found in Africa and Asia for instance.

I LOVE eating bison! Delicious and lean. :P

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Marc

Bertille buns are by mailorder...You can google it & if you can't find them let me know...Over 100 people at my gluten-free support group loved them so not just me...they are for now the best available.When I'm out I use Canyon Bakehouseor Against The Grain...

Whether you are gluten intolarant or celiac or sensitive the outcome is the same 100 % gluten free.. to keep your body healthy...for years those of us who understand the gluten-free lifestyle have been rebutting the myths that once you no longer have issues you can add gluten back into the diet which is not the truth..Many have suffered long & hard with many health issues... So many of us have heard for years its all in your head, nothing wrong with you...

I myself have1 celiac gene & 1 intolerant gene, same with 1 grandchild daughter has celiac, other grandchild has celiac & was very ill until age 2 1/2 until an endo was done & confirmed celiac...

Yes, sometimes something creeps in on us & a mistake is made with a gluten reaction, for some this makes them very ill for days ,loss work, & so on.

I've been only glutened once in ten years & for several days I would have felt better if someone had run me over with a bulldoser! We all react in different ways some not at all that they can feel...

And everyone must be responsible for themselves & their well-being...

My pet peeve is misinformation, it is worse than no infomation at all . When I started out I had to learn the hard way now we have wonderful groups such as this one who, can share true good advice.. We don't want people who are new & struggling to get mis-leading info that in the long term may cause illness or more illness because they read something that wasn't correct on a celiac site...Most would know better than to cheat but others who are having trouble coping with this may use that as an out to continue to damage their bodies...

I commend you for staying gluten-free as with what you said about yourself the gluten-free diet is probably a good thing for you... I hope the gluten-free lifestyle gives you improved health& life...

Again no one is going to hold a gun to your head if you choose other wise...

I hope you are able to order the buns & enjoy a safe burger.....( if you like onion rings Ian's makes them gluten-free & they are the only ones who to date makes these goodies...I make my own but these are so easy to pop in the oven......

blessings

mamaw

organicmama Contributor

I haven't tried this yet, but here's another bun recipe to throw in the mix.

sreese68 Enthusiast

My (very picky) kids and husband like the hamburger buns from Easy Gluten Free Baking. My gluten-eating brother-in-law and father-in-law like them, too. They don't really get very brown in the oven for me and the texture is kind of biscuit-like, but no one seems to care. (I can't eat them due to multiple food intolerances.) The recipes in this book aren't super healthy, but they've been successful in that my kids like them. Honestly, it's usually 3 of the 4. And the one who doesn't like a recipe is different each time!

I read here that superfine rice flours will get you less grainy results than regular rice flours. I ordered mine from Authentic Foods. Again, I haven't tasted anything made from it since I can't tolerate rice, but it does seem to have a nice texture.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Hey Marc,

We are all different for sure. I sprinkle the Udi buns with a little water, wrap in foil and warm in the oven. I didn't like them at first until I did this. I can't eat them often because of the corn.I do react to gluten and get really sick. My doctor told me that my Celiac was awake for many years due to all my damage. I didn't know I had it until I got so sick and lost so much weight. I didn't know I had it until I was in so much pain. Please don't feel attacked. Here we only care about people and the ones that have been gluten-free for so long are a great source of gluten-free wisdom. They care about newbies and all. Cheating for me is never an option and should never be for anyone. I'm gluten free of course, nut free, tomato free, soy free, and corn free(I can tolerate some corn products every now and then)I also avoid nightshades. I'm mostly dairy free, but can have some hard cheese. You do what you have to to feel well and be pain free. You don't want to get to the point where there is pain. Google the bun suggested and you probably can buy it online. Good luck and take care.

Marc49 Explorer

Thanks once again for all of the help folks!

I just didn't want Ginsou to feel attacked because of what they had said to me about cheating once in awhile. I wanted to also make clear that I have no concrete proof that I even need to be doing this, as all I know for sure is I carry the gene. My GI doc says a lot of people that carry the gene never have an issue, and that I show zero signs of any damage.

It's hard to tell what to do when one doctor tells you to stay gluten-free, and the other says that is incorrect. The GI doc actually told me that I could make myself hyper-sensitive to gluten by going gluten-free when I don't need to. That doesn't really make sense to me though.

One day this fall, I will most likely go back to eating normal for a couple of weeks and see if anything happens which is what the GI doc suggested. He says all I have is periodic IBS, which my mother also has. As before I don't know who to believe at this point! LOL

Anyway,.....I made hot dogs last night for the first time in months, and used the Udi's buns. I tried one nuked, and I tried one toasted like above.

They both got considerably softer than out of the package, but you have to eat them quick! What I notice the most is these buns seem to suck all the moisture out of your mouth while eating, and you almost feel like you are choking them down. What a description! :)

I love the description on the bun package! Says something like "you will love our soft, delicious gluten-free buns." HA!

They don't even say anything about heating them either. I wonder what would happen if you steamed them? Think I will try that next.

Until last night I have simply been making a concoction of cut up bratwurst with sauerkraut, sliced up small red potatoes, onion, cubed Roma tomatoes, and some minced garlic with a splash of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with some sea-salt, coarse ground pepper and a bit of basil and cook it down a bit! I also sometimes use an assortment of green, red, yellow peppers added as well. If this sounds good to anyone, give it a try sometime! I am known for my concoctions that I throw together. :)

love2travel Mentor

Thanks once again for all of the help folks!

I just didn't want Ginsou to feel attacked because of what they had said to me about cheating once in awhile. I wanted to also make clear that I have no concrete proof that I even need to be doing this, as all I know for sure is I carry the gene. My GI doc says a lot of people that carry the gene never have an issue, and that I show zero signs of any damage.

It's hard to tell what to do when one doctor tells you to stay gluten-free, and the other says that is incorrect. The GI doc actually told me that I could make myself hyper-sensitive to gluten by going gluten-free when I don't need to. That doesn't really make sense to me though.

One day this fall, I will most likely go back to eating normal for a couple of weeks and see if anything happens which is what the GI doc suggested. He says all I have is periodic IBS, which my mother also has. As before I don't know who to believe at this point! LOL

Anyway,.....I made hot dogs last night for the first time in months, and used the Udi's buns. I tried one nuked, and I tried one toasted like above.

They both got considerably softer than out of the package, but you have to eat them quick! What I notice the most is these buns seem to suck all the moisture out of your mouth while eating, and you almost feel like you are choking them down. What a description! :)

I love the description on the bun package! Says something like "you will love our soft, delicious gluten-free buns." HA!

They don't even say anything about heating them either. I wonder what would happen if you steamed them? Think I will try that next.

Until last night I have simply been making a concoction of cut up bratwurst with sauerkraut, sliced up small red potatoes, onion, cubed Roma tomatoes, and some minced garlic with a splash of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with some sea-salt, coarse ground pepper and a bit of basil and cook it down a bit! I also sometimes use an assortment of green, red, yellow peppers added as well. If this sounds good to anyone, give it a try sometime! I am known for my concoctions that I throw together. :)

I have only had Udi's hot dog buns twice and grilled them both times. I had to because I knew that they would become very soggy otherwise. They are a decent vehicle for brats but I, too, am still hoping to come up with a better homemade alternative.

Archived