36 replies to this topic

#16 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

I have discovered I can cheat, and have a regular store bought bun about once every 3 weeks and not have any abdominal issues....you may want to consider that.

This is extremely dangerous.

The damage that occurs from such activity is not worth the pleasure of eating a palatable bun. The reaction, whilst often not that noticeable on the outside, from each of these sorts of incidents could last several months. There is absolutely no way on earth that this dietary regime can be healthy, particularly if affected by celiac/coeliac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

I see there is another Bison fan here! :)

What exactly do you mean by the term "Bison"?

#18 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

What exactly do you mean by the term "Bison"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison

The American Bison, what most people incorrectly call buffalo.
Buffalo are actually a different breed found in Africa and Asia for instance.

#19 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison

The American Bison, what most people incorrectly call buffalo.
Buffalo are actually a different breed found in Africa and Asia for instance.

I LOVE eating bison! Delicious and lean. :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#20 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

Hi Marc
Bertille buns are by mailorder...You can google it & if you can't find them let me know...Over 100 people at my gluten-free support group loved them so not just me...they are for now the best available.When I'm out I use Canyon Bakehouseor Against The Grain...

Whether you are gluten intolarant or celiac or sensitive the outcome is the same 100 % gluten free.. to keep your body healthy...for years those of us who understand the gluten-free lifestyle have been rebutting the myths that once you no longer have issues you can add gluten back into the diet which is not the truth..Many have suffered long & hard with many health issues... So many of us have heard for years its all in your head, nothing wrong with you...
I myself have1 celiac gene & 1 intolerant gene, same with 1 grandchild daughter has celiac, other grandchild has celiac & was very ill until age 2 1/2 until an endo was done & confirmed celiac...
Yes, sometimes something creeps in on us & a mistake is made with a gluten reaction, for some this makes them very ill for days ,loss work, & so on.
I've been only glutened once in ten years & for several days I would have felt better if someone had run me over with a bulldoser! We all react in different ways some not at all that they can feel...
And everyone must be responsible for themselves & their well-being...
My pet peeve is misinformation, it is worse than no infomation at all . When I started out I had to learn the hard way now we have wonderful groups such as this one who, can share true good advice.. We don't want people who are new & struggling to get mis-leading info that in the long term may cause illness or more illness because they read something that wasn't correct on a celiac site...Most would know better than to cheat but others who are having trouble coping with this may use that as an out to continue to damage their bodies...
I commend you for staying gluten-free as with what you said about yourself the gluten-free diet is probably a good thing for you... I hope the gluten-free lifestyle gives you improved health& life...
Again no one is going to hold a gun to your head if you choose other wise...

I hope you are able to order the buns & enjoy a safe burger.....( if you like onion rings Ian's makes them gluten-free & they are the only ones who to date makes these goodies...I make my own but these are so easy to pop in the oven......
blessings

mamaw

#21 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but here's another bun recipe to throw in the mix.

http://glutenfreeona...-so-i-dont-cry/

#22 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

My (very picky) kids and husband like the hamburger buns from Easy Gluten Free Baking. My gluten-eating brother-in-law and father-in-law like them, too. They don't really get very brown in the oven for me and the texture is kind of biscuit-like, but no one seems to care. (I can't eat them due to multiple food intolerances.) The recipes in this book aren't super healthy, but they've been successful in that my kids like them. Honestly, it's usually 3 of the 4. And the one who doesn't like a recipe is different each time!

I read here that superfine rice flours will get you less grainy results than regular rice flours. I ordered mine from Authentic Foods. Again, I haven't tasted anything made from it since I can't tolerate rice, but it does seem to have a nice texture.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#23 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hey Marc,

We are all different for sure. I sprinkle the Udi buns with a little water, wrap in foil and warm in the oven. I didn't like them at first until I did this. I can't eat them often because of the corn.I do react to gluten and get really sick. My doctor told me that my Celiac was awake for many years due to all my damage. I didn't know I had it until I got so sick and lost so much weight. I didn't know I had it until I was in so much pain. Please don't feel attacked. Here we only care about people and the ones that have been gluten-free for so long are a great source of gluten-free wisdom. They care about newbies and all. Cheating for me is never an option and should never be for anyone. I'm gluten free of course, nut free, tomato free, soy free, and corn free(I can tolerate some corn products every now and then)I also avoid nightshades. I'm mostly dairy free, but can have some hard cheese. You do what you have to to feel well and be pain free. You don't want to get to the point where there is pain. Google the bun suggested and you probably can buy it online. Good luck and take care.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#24 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

Thanks once again for all of the help folks!
I just didn't want Ginsou to feel attacked because of what they had said to me about cheating once in awhile. I wanted to also make clear that I have no concrete proof that I even need to be doing this, as all I know for sure is I carry the gene. My GI doc says a lot of people that carry the gene never have an issue, and that I show zero signs of any damage.

It's hard to tell what to do when one doctor tells you to stay gluten-free, and the other says that is incorrect. The GI doc actually told me that I could make myself hyper-sensitive to gluten by going gluten-free when I don't need to. That doesn't really make sense to me though.

One day this fall, I will most likely go back to eating normal for a couple of weeks and see if anything happens which is what the GI doc suggested. He says all I have is periodic IBS, which my mother also has. As before I don't know who to believe at this point! LOL

Anyway,.....I made hot dogs last night for the first time in months, and used the Udi's buns. I tried one nuked, and I tried one toasted like above.
They both got considerably softer than out of the package, but you have to eat them quick! What I notice the most is these buns seem to suck all the moisture out of your mouth while eating, and you almost feel like you are choking them down. What a description! :)

I love the description on the bun package! Says something like "you will love our soft, delicious gluten-free buns." HA!
They don't even say anything about heating them either. I wonder what would happen if you steamed them? Think I will try that next.

Until last night I have simply been making a concoction of cut up bratwurst with sauerkraut, sliced up small red potatoes, onion, cubed Roma tomatoes, and some minced garlic with a splash of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with some sea-salt, coarse ground pepper and a bit of basil and cook it down a bit! I also sometimes use an assortment of green, red, yellow peppers added as well. If this sounds good to anyone, give it a try sometime! I am known for my concoctions that I throw together. :)

#25 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

Thanks once again for all of the help folks!
I just didn't want Ginsou to feel attacked because of what they had said to me about cheating once in awhile. I wanted to also make clear that I have no concrete proof that I even need to be doing this, as all I know for sure is I carry the gene. My GI doc says a lot of people that carry the gene never have an issue, and that I show zero signs of any damage.

It's hard to tell what to do when one doctor tells you to stay gluten-free, and the other says that is incorrect. The GI doc actually told me that I could make myself hyper-sensitive to gluten by going gluten-free when I don't need to. That doesn't really make sense to me though.

One day this fall, I will most likely go back to eating normal for a couple of weeks and see if anything happens which is what the GI doc suggested. He says all I have is periodic IBS, which my mother also has. As before I don't know who to believe at this point! LOL

Anyway,.....I made hot dogs last night for the first time in months, and used the Udi's buns. I tried one nuked, and I tried one toasted like above.
They both got considerably softer than out of the package, but you have to eat them quick! What I notice the most is these buns seem to suck all the moisture out of your mouth while eating, and you almost feel like you are choking them down. What a description! :)

I love the description on the bun package! Says something like "you will love our soft, delicious gluten-free buns." HA!
They don't even say anything about heating them either. I wonder what would happen if you steamed them? Think I will try that next.

Until last night I have simply been making a concoction of cut up bratwurst with sauerkraut, sliced up small red potatoes, onion, cubed Roma tomatoes, and some minced garlic with a splash of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with some sea-salt, coarse ground pepper and a bit of basil and cook it down a bit! I also sometimes use an assortment of green, red, yellow peppers added as well. If this sounds good to anyone, give it a try sometime! I am known for my concoctions that I throw together. :)

I have only had Udi's hot dog buns twice and grilled them both times. I had to because I knew that they would become very soggy otherwise. They are a decent vehicle for brats but I, too, am still hoping to come up with a better homemade alternative.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#26 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

I have only had Udi's hot dog buns twice and grilled them both times. I had to because I knew that they would become very soggy otherwise. They are a decent vehicle for brats but I, too, am still hoping to come up with a better homemade alternative.

Then I guess steaming would not be a good choice to try?

#27 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

Then I guess steaming would not be a good choice to try?

Though I have not tried it with gluten-free products (homemade or otherwise) I likely would not try steaming in this situation as you want to suck moisture out of the bun rather than increasing the moisture content. That is one of the reasons steamed buns (i.e. pork) are so soft and squishy!

As a fellow brat fan, have you tried steaming them in aromatics then finishing by grilling/roasting brats? It is an awesome technique - it really keeps the brats incredibly juicy and moist. But then we are so fortunate to have a local guy make fantastic (and believe me, I am very particular) juicy gluten-free brats. Roasted grapes, caramelized onions and homemade German mustard is one of my favourite ways to enjoy brats.

#28 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

Though I have not tried it with gluten-free products (homemade or otherwise) I likely would not try steaming in this situation as you want to suck moisture out of the bun rather than increasing the moisture content. That is one of the reasons steamed buns (i.e. pork) are so soft and squishy!

As a fellow brat fan, have you tried steaming them in aromatics then finishing by grilling/roasting brats? It is an awesome technique - it really keeps the brats incredibly juicy and moist. But then we are so fortunate to have a local guy make fantastic (and believe me, I am very particular) juicy gluten-free brats. Roasted grapes, caramelized onions and homemade German mustard is one of my favourite ways to enjoy brats.

Yes,....I have done that many times, and I agree they are great!
The concoction I listed is something I do when I don't want to fire up the grill, and I really only started doing it more often after not being able to eat the old buns I used to eat them on.

I still have no issue eating a brat done like you mentioned on a plate with no bun. I love brats! :)

#29 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

I don't recall where I found this recipe, but it's the best I have tried. I also occasionally use the microwave bun recipe when short on time. Here goes:

HAMBURGER BUNS

3/4 c sorghum flour
1/4 c corn starch
1/2 c tapioca starch
1/8 c powdered milk
1 T sugar
1/2 T xanthan gum
1/2 T active dry yeast
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 T oil
1/2 t apple cider vinegar
2/3 c warm water
1 t unflavored gelatin

1. Preheat oven to 170F.
2. Combine dry ingredients.
3. In separate bowl beat egg and add oil, vinegar and water.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and beat on high for 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Fill containers about way, smooth with damp fingers and let rise in oven - 20 minutes.
6. Remove buns from oven; preheat oven to 350 F.
7. Bake 20 - 25 minutes. Can brush tops with butter last 5 minutes.

Makes 4 large buns - I use round corelle dishes sprayed generously with Pam.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#30 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

The good news is that if you don't have an issue with gluten, nothing will happen when you go back to it. Your body will let you know and probably rather quickly.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: