2 replies to this topic

#1 allceliacs

allceliacs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

I am trying to find out if any other Celiacs out here in this big world of ours are also Reyes Syndrome survivors or, in my case, are Celiac and lost a sibling to Reyes (prior to diagnosis). I raise this question because I was not diagnosed until 40, both of my children are Celiac and it got me thinking - did my sister who died as a child from Reyes also have Celiac? Could Celiac have attacked the liver, thus causing damage and when the flu and aspirin entered into the already unstable condition, Reyes developed? I am not a doctor, but it makes logical sense. (My Celiac has done serious damage to many of my organs). And, if I am not alone in this thinking - the more of us that are found, the more we can push to do research and studies on BOTH of these horrid diseases.
Celiac mom with two Celiac kids.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 amyhobbit

amyhobbit

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

I know this is an old post but I had Reye's as a child and was diagnosed with Celiac's at the age of 37. I wonder if there is any connection between Celiac's & Reye's. When I get sick with an infection my body just shuts down. Super high WBC. Weird.

#3 todd22

todd22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I had ryes syndrome at age 10 and am now wanting to get tested for celiac. I am 99% sure I am extremely sensitive because I show all of the signs of celiac. I quit gluten and am much better now, unless I have gluten or eat somewhere where there may be cross-contamination.

I was curious about a possible link because it makes sense. There are probably compounding circumstances but it couldn't have helped that all I ate when I had the flu was cereal, toast, bagels and a few eggs.

I had lot's of asprin for the very high fever, which is what the main trigger seams to be. Lot's of kids take asprin with the flu and don't get Rye's though. Maybe the gluten is a third factor, especially if you are celiac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: